“What can you say about animals?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 262 Attractions in Portland
Type: Scenic Railroads, Zoos & Aquariums
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: Community-supported since 1888, the Oregon Zoo is a world leader in animal welfare and conservation, connecting more than 1.6 million visitors with the world of wildlife every year.
Portland, Oregon
31 attraction reviews
“What can you say about animals?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Anytime you get to go to a zoo....GO! This zoo will not dissapoint. The polar bears were very intertaining the baby elephant is so cute and there is lots of bears that can get close. The bats ar one of the faves too! One thing I did have a problem with is it was poorly mapped out. It was hard to make sure you went to some areas. I guess they make it that way so you keep coming back to get the lay of the land!

• Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
33 attraction reviews
“Most affordable zoo option”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Small but nice zoo. Not a ton of unique animals, but a solid array. Very affordable (i.e. <$20 per adult) and you can buy a train ticket (approx $5) for a beautiful 15 minute ride through the forest in Washington Park over to the Portland Rose Garden (which has free admission).

Vancouver, Washington
43 attraction reviews
“Lily the baby elephant. Zoo train to Washington Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Lily in person exceeds expectations. News footage showed her bursts of enthusiasm and rollicking personality when she was born December 2012. Six months later, she is bigger but still tiny compared to her mom. Lily waved her little trunk, gamboled about, picked up minute bits of alfalfa, and delighted us with her zest for just being alive.

I was prepared to pay for my granddaughter's and my admission and parking ($22), but when I mentioned that my granddaughter's family had a zoo pass, the staff person looked up my son-in-law's name, and sure enough, my granddaughter was a named member (her annual birthday gift for the past two years when she turned three) at the level that allowed two guests. Yay!

We've ridden the Zoomobile at night at Christmas for Zoolights when a person might resort to buying hot chocolate to pour on one's feet, so when my granddaughter wanted to ride the train, I thought it'd be fun to ride when we wouldn't be freezing. The route was completely different than the Zoolights within the zoo. Instead we were treated to a slow trek through a heavily canopied forest with deep ravines and twenty shades of green arriving at Washington Park. Spying a playground, I suggested we disembark and try it out. The conductor said to see him if we wanted to get off and reboard later. Alas, the little kid decided to play on the equipment after the five minute layover and the train was on its return trip. Next time I'd definitely get off and stroll the rose gardens without battling for parking then take the train back to the zoo.

Sauble Beach, Canada
14 attraction reviews
“One of the best zoos in the USA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

It was a cloudy, misty day in Portland and we were riding the MAX to go to a specialty store. Being tourists, we overshot the stop and wound up at the zoo. It was fantastic! The zoo was perfect for strolling through fairly natural surroundings and, at the same time, experiencing something new. It is excellent for small children (there were many on a Monday) and is totally accessible for strollers and wheelchairs. We especially liked the "Great Northwest" area which was very natural with trails winding through lush undergrowth (and animals too!).

The Asian elephants area was on the small side for the size of the elephants, but construction has already begun on a large expansion. There is a mother and baby elephant - so cute.

The large "Concert Lawn" has shows throughout the day and makes for a nice picnic area with lots of grass. It is also close to washrooms and a restaurant, should the parents need a coffee.

Consider a picnic lunch - there are lots of places to take a break, and it will keep the costs down. Watch for the special shows spaced throughout the day at many of the animal enclosures. There is a train which will take you to other areas of Washington Park. Plan on 4-6 hours. *** Take the MAX, as you will get $1.50 off each zoo ticket !***

Aumsville
5 attraction reviews
“I love the zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I love the Oregon Zoo. It was improved tremedously over the last 15 years! I love bringing my daughter as she loves "aminals"! There is something to see at every turn. We recently went to a zoo in Tacoma and she asked to leave after 30 mins because it was to much concrete to look at and not enough animals. Thanks Oregon Zoo for making this a great place to go!

Visited May 2013

Been to Oregon Zoo? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Oregon Zoo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.