“Great Location, Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #21 of 132 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Minneapolis, MN
“Great Location, Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

We traveled to Portland for a mini-vacation (long weekend) to explore the city as we had never been there before. The hotel was very nicely situated on the west side of the river with easy access (within walking distance) to Powell Books, Saturday Market, various dining establishments, and breweries. The hotel was very clean and the front desk people and valet's were incredibly friendly and helpful. The room had two queen beds and a spacious bathroom. The beds were very comfortable, but the bedding was just ok. We took the bedding from the other bed and added it to ours as the blankets seemed a bit small. The restaurant within the hotel (The Original) had great breakfasts, and it always seemed busy, so I'm assuming the other meals/drink specials were just as good. I looked at the Travel Portland website before making the reservation and there was a fantastic deal that the hotel was participating in to encourage shoppers between the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays - we received free breakfast vouchers for each night stay, free parking (which would otherwise be $29/day), and $50 cash upon check in. This deal definitely made for a great value.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, December 13, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you had a great experience for your first time in Portland. I will forward your information to our Housekeeping Manager about the bedding. We have extra blankets, so if you ever need one, we are more than happy to provide extras for your comfort.

We value your business and hope to see you again!

624 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Booked this hotel through Travel Portland website and what a treat it was. Special promotion by the City of Portland partnering with downtown hotels to bring in shoppers. Perks included free parking (wow! normally $29/day), complimentary restaurant breakfast each day, coupon book (didn't use it tho) and $50 cold hard cash! The hotel was trendy and pleasant decor and the room was clean, bathroom showed a little wear (grout around tub on floor), decent soft sheets, but an upgrade on plusher bath towels would be even nicer. Location of this hotel is perfect and we enjoyed everything about our stay there including easy access to great restaurants and MAX Light Rail. Walking distance to the Pearl District and NW 21st and NW 23rd shopping and restaurants. Try Cafe Mingo on NW 21st for a delicious meal with unique farm fresh ingredients in a cozy atmosphere - reminiscent of a cafe in Paris.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
We really appreciate the nice comments you posted on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay! Hope to see you again soon.

| 550 SW Oak Street, | Portland, OR 97204
t: (503) 575-4015 f: FAX (503) 575-4059
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Marriott advertises this hotel as a boutique. It's decorated and set up like a cross between a boutique and high end / corporate hotel. This works. Service was solid, everything was clean and exactly as expected. Comfortable mattress, spacious rooms, good bathrooms. We have stayed at Kimpton properties lately and I would put this completely on par with those.

My single complaint is that the "do not disturb" sign fell off the door knob every time I opened the door. Damn that's frustrating!

Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2011
Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It pleases us when our guest's take the time to share their experiences. We hope to see you soon in the near future.

Happy New Year!

St Pete, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Yes it's an interesting 'boutique' Courtyard in a perfect location but they have a lot to learn about service. Front desk staff - William - was friendly enough but ineffective. I spend 150+ nights per year in Marriott properties but this is the first time I have had to request to have my room serviced each day...and every day I got apologies only to go through the process again the next day. It was really weird, but that is the motto of Portland. Also, had to run hot water for several minutes before getting any hot water. Room was a nice size but the layout was weird and inefficient. Parking was valet only priced at $30 per day - if you go, use one of the private lots in the neighborhood at about half the price or take the tram. On the plus side, great location - but there are many other options including a Marriott around the corner. Maybe they were having a bad week, but I would hesitate to recommend this property.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor. I was very disappointed to hear about the experience you had during your stay with us. On Thanksgiving we sent a letter to all our guests letting them know that we would have limited housekeeping service for Thanksgivngs Day so that the associates would be able to spend time with their family. It was never intended not to give you full service if you like and certainly should of not carried over the next day. I sincerely apologize and hope that you give a us another chance when you are in Portland. As you can see from all the other TripAdvisor postings, our Guests normally have a great experience.

We value your business and regret causing you and inconvenience.

Eric

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

This place is a real find. Extremely reasonably priced for what you get. We felt welcome the moment we arrived. Samantha at the front desk gave us great restaurant recommendations as well as guidance for using the excellent public transportation system. I had requested a scent-free, quiet room, and it was perfect. Room was more spacious than I expected, with a comfortable bed and a large, beautiful bathroom. Nice decor. Extremely clean. Location was great, close to everything. We will stay here every time we go to Portland, and we will go to Portland more often now that we have found this hotel.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Close to everything - highrise building, so no noise. Located between street cars, so you can be anywhere in minutes. Staff was great too. It was my first "green" hotel stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night, as we were headed for a trip the next morning. I forgot my coat in the closet, and as soon as I realized what I had done, I called the hotel immediately. I spoke with a young man at the Front Desk around 10:30am. I knew that most likely they hadn't cleaned the room yet, and it likely was still hanging in the closet. I had to beg and plead for the young man to just put me on hold and go and take a look. Finally he obliged my request, and came back and said that he had found it in their lost and found. I asked him if he could please overnight it to me, and send it to our hotel in Los Angeles. He took my credit card information and said he would send it out to me. I thanked him graciously for looking out for his customer's best interest...

Then I never received my coat, and we were never charged by Fed Ex for any delivery. I made a call to the management and left a message stating what had happened and I would like a call back.

I never heard anything back from the hotel at all. This is just wrong on all levels. I understand that I forgot the coat, but for them to acknowledge that they did have it, and to never send it out as they said they were, is just like talking a few hundred dollars right out of my pocket book.

I will never stay at this hotel again, and I would be wary of the hotel management's practices.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry for all the frustrations you experienced around finding your coat. After doing my investigation, I was happy to find that our staff did indeed do their job and sent your coat to the location that you requested. FedEx provide me records showing that the receiving hotel did sign for your coat.. I hope they found your coat and returned it to you.

Best to you,

Eric

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center? Share your experiences!