“This is the 2nd Courtyard by Marriott I have stayed at.” 4 of 5 stars

$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #24 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hayward, California
“This is the 2nd Courtyard by Marriott I have stayed at.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The 1st one was in a country setting and this one is in the city. Same aspects just the furniture and size of the rooms differ. Staff were all complimentary and courteous.

The hotel is close to all public transit and Zipcars are parked at the corner of SW Oak and 5th
One can easily get on and off the TriMet MAX Light Rail and buses within 1-2 blocks. What a way to go.

It took us 35 minutes on the Red and Green MAX lines to get to the hotel. Best way to city the city by taking public transit.

We easily took the bus to the North Williams District. The street signs were difficult to see from the bus but we have a fantastic dinner at the Lincoln Restaurant, which Andrew Zimmern said was one of his top picks.

There are great restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. We ventured into the Pearl District. Definitely walk to the food carts for lunch or a snack. Try the reindeer sausage at one the carts.

What I enjoyed about the room:
Picturesque mural behind the beds.
The bed and pillows were semi firm – just the way I like it!
AC fan was quiet.

Concerns:
The curtains were difficult to open and close due to the rod tension.
The AC outlets located on the desk lamp did not work – possibly not aligned properly.
The bathroom sink counter curves out where the sink is located at, due to a divider wall for the toilet. Bit inconvenient “pour le petite femme”.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for the review. I would have to agree that we have a wonderful staff here on property. I hope that you get the chance to stay with us again soon.

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Very average Marriott. Check-in was uneventful, valet was good, housekeeping was non-existent as I had to call everyday except one. I was most bothered by the construction noise on Oak. It was brought to the front desks attention but nothing happened. Last thing which wasn't Marriotts fault....we woke up to no lights (fire knocked out a wide grid downtown) Couldn't take a shower before flying back cross country. Totally started my day poorly. Definitely will choose the full service Marriott the next time we are in Portland.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Oak Street side where construction occurs through all times of the night.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review and I am sorry that all of our services did not meet your needs. We hate to see that you thought of us as average as all of our goals as a team are for each guest to have an excellent stay. Again please accept my sincere apologies.

Happy Holidays,

Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This place could use some work and is not up to Marriott's usual standards. Our room had curtains that were not hung on the ends and let in light. We had pillows that were gigantic, all five of them. The room and bathroom were out of date. Valet parking was really slow about 17 minutes on average. No typical Courtyard Bistro but a restaurant that was good. The front staff was very lack luster and just not the typical warm service that you expect from Marriott.

Room Tip: Go high to avoid road noise.
Green Features: Normal Marriott with all the typical environmental practices.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry that your stay was not what you were hoping it to be. Our staff are usually the main reason guests want to come back to our property. I hope you give us another opportunity to show you how wonderful our property can be.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I booked this hotel through an expedia deal and it was totally worth it. We arrived in Portland by Amtrak and found the hotel just a short stroll from Union Station. Check in was pretty quick even with a bit of a line. Our room was nice and cozy and the bed was pretty comfy. We ate breakfast at the restaurant, it was pretty good. Everything we wanted to visit was easily accessible and the train was less than a block away.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
I am so glad that you had such a good time in Portland. We love our central location. We hope to see you again.

Taos, NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Good location; walking distance to many downtown restaurants. Good, helpful front desk staff.. Nice restaurant on site,Room is small but that wasn't a problem. Had a problem with the elevator card system; told the front desk & they got a technician to fix itt.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the review. I apologize that we had a minor hiccup during your stay but I am glad our team was able to rectify the situation.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Without doing our usual Trip Advisor homework, we rolled into Portland late afternoon and found The Courtyard on Oak Street. It didn't disappoint.

We were given a good room rate, by a friendly and professional front desk staff. We had a good feeling about the hotel from this first impression.

I found the room to be quite stylish and surprisingly spacious. Comfortable bed, too. A special mention to the front desk and valet ($30 was reasonable for secure parking in downtown Portland overnight) for recommending a couple of good restaurants for dinner and breakfast.

This hotel played a big part in the positive impression the city made on me and why I want to go back to Portland.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. We are very lucky to have the team that we have. Portland is such a wonderful city and I am glad we helped with that impression. We look forward to seeing you the next time you get a chance to visit.

Best,

White Salmon, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stay in a lot of hotels in the course of a year. I found the Courtyard in downtown Portland to be just an average property for the rate they asked. The bed was nice, but the room was small. I really like the fridge as I tend to travel with beverages and snacks. I was also dismayed to find that this hotel has no pool, spa, or bath tubs. My back was very tight and I was looking forward to some water relation therapy. This property was hard to locate without my GPS unit too.

I must have been thrown off by the remodeling construction on the other side of the street. My truck was to large to park in their parking garage so I was also distracted looking for a nearby lot that could accommodate my rig. The nice thing about this location is that it is close to Portland Prime and Voodoo donuts. Both are Portland landmarks for serious foodies! I also had some wonderful customer service from the staff at this property.

If I go to Portland again I will surely stay at the premium Marriott property on the waterfront. While I will probably have to cab it over for some donuts I will get the premium room with a view & a tub or spa for relaxation. All for less than the $200 that a night costs at this Courtyard!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for the review. I am sorry to see that you thought of your stay as just okay. We take pride in making our hotel clean, accommodating, and refreshing. I am glad to see that you thought are staff were top notch and I couldn't agree more.

Best,

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center? Share your experiences!