“great location! pet friendly!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #22 of 132 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“great location! pet friendly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

the room and hotel look really nice, its an eco friendly place (i liked seeing what that looks like fused with contemporary design) and its noticeable which i thought was cool, super comfy bed the best part is the location you can walk everywhere from here. the staff are super friendly!!!
cons:
no lotion ( it wouldn't have mattered had i not forgotten to pack mine)

• Stayed July 2013
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your review and staying with us. I like that you think our hotel is cool and super comfy and that the staff is super friendly too!

Sounds like we will see you again the next time you are in Portland.

635 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here for three nights while attending a conference. The conference was at the Oregon Convention Center which is about a mile away and (I think, not sure) not easily walkable, but this was a much better location to be based in. The hotel room was fine, unmemorable - a little smaller and more sparsely furnished than other Courtyards I've stayed at, but not in any problematic way. My one criticism is that my room had one small window in a corner looking out on basically nothing. I suspect other rooms had better views. I wouldn't want to stay in such a room, based on the bad view, for a more extended period not involving what was basically a conference trip. Someone afflicted with claustrophobia (or really needing to have natural light) will either want to stay elsewhere or will be careful about which room to ask for.

Overall, I would consider staying here again, even if I were again to travel primarily to attend a conference at the Convention Center. It is only 5 blocks from the Red line MAX, which is very convenient. It looked like there were many good food options in the vicinity though I didn't take advantage of any. I suppose it is a bit pricey for the room I got, given the size of the room and the near-absence of any natural light.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have tiny corner windows with no view and hardly any natural light coming through.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am happy to hear that you will consider staying with us again given you were given a smaller room. We do have a few smaller rooms, but the majority of are rooms are spacious and well appointed. Hope to see you soon!

Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend getaway in the summer on our first trip exploring Portland.

We wanted to use our Marriott Rewards points and we were so glad we chose this location! It is very clean and nicely decorated--it must have been renovated fairly recently because I didn't even notice a scratch on the furniture, scuffs on the walls, or cracked grout in the bathroom. We had a beautiful, large-ish, corner room with a peak of the river on the 14th floor! The room was mostly quite, tho' we did occasionally hear our heavy-footed neighbor above us.

The staff were very friendly & we appreciated the free wi-fi, in-room refrigerator, in-room recycle bins, and complimentary morning Stumptown coffee in the lobby.

The location was perfect for us. We didn't need a car, at all. We took MAX from the airport, rented bikes for a few hours (Waterfront Cycles), took MAX to the Zoo & walked everywhere else (Food trucks, Saturday Market, VooDoo dounts, Powell's Bookstore, Pioneer Square...).

Didn't try the fitness center or restaurant , but they seemed nice.

Would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone wanting to be in this part of downtown Portland.

Room Tip: 1405 was a nice room with a peak of the river.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the 5 Star review. I am please you had such a nice experience with us and that you enjoyed our hotel and location. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Portland.

San Rafael, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend in September for a weekend. It was very nice, clean, with friendly staff. It was conveniently located walking distance to EVERYTHING. Everything else was a MAX ride away. The Original downstairs had good food and even better cocktails. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the nice review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you will absolutely stay here again. See you soon!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for business during a week when rooms in downtown Portland were not to be had. Although I had to leave after two nights because of the hotel being completely booked prior to my reservation, I returned one night later, and was assigned an upgraded room.
WOW! Corner room, with floor to ceiling windows, and even a window in the bathroom.
Beautiful furnishings, roomy and not cluttered, and comfortable beyond belief.
Great value for downtown Portland, short walk to many restaurants, including the famous block of food wagons, warm and welcoming staff.
Loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for a NW corner room if it is available.
Green Features: Recycle bins in the bathroom, card to encourage towel re-use.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the 5 Star review. I love that you had a great experience with us. I am happy that you were able to stay in one of our corner king rooms, they do rock and you can't beat the views.

Hope you come stay with us again!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed 4 nights for business the 2 with points and certificates. Outstanding location, walkable distance to several food cart pods, the Pearl District, etc. parked a car using the valet service for the business portion, and the service was fantastic - prompt and very friendly. They suggested several places to eat, but the Original on site was great. We ate there for breakfast Sunday morning. Room was spacious with fridge and large bathroom.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We love 5 Star reviews, thank you! I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel, the restaurant, the staff and the location. We are glad that you stayed with us and hope that you return soon!

Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am going to start by stating my one and only complaint, then I'll get to the positives. This place is massively over-priced! The only thing about this hotel that could even come close to warranting their pricing of $300/night is the location. Other than that, it is the same as many Courtyard's I have strayed at for around $150. Maybe I am ignorant and perhaps $300/night is simply the "going rate" around here, but it felt way too high to me for this hotel. Yes, it has a prime location near all the best Downtown Portland attractions, but other than that, it was just a regular Courtyard hotel(not that that's a bad thing). The rooms are modern and clean, the lobby is pleasing to the eye and relaxing, and the staff is friendly. We enjoyed our room and our view from it. The bottom line, however, is this place simply is fancy enough and over-the-top enough to charge what they do. I think the plan next time will be to stay a little bit further away for half the price or if I do spend $300/night, I will look for a fancier place further away, so that I get more "bang" for my buck.

Room Tip: Higher floor = better view.
Green Features: Felt like a very "green" hotel, at least from my observations.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and the location. The summer months here in Portland are our high demand periods and yes, you will find that rates are higher in the city. Typically, we are still priced equal to or lower than most hotels in the downtown market. I hope that you come see us again!

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center? Share your experiences!