“Quiet, modern Hotel in Downtown Portland” 4 of 5 stars

$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #24 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bloomington, il
“Quiet, modern Hotel in Downtown Portland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I used a rewards night to stay here for one night at the beginning of our trip in Portland. I think this hotel is a steal at a Category 4 for Marriott. It is located on the northern end of the main Downtown area. It is just a few short blocks away from the famous Portland Saturday Market area and car rental companies. We bought 1 - Day Train passes when we got to the airport to get downtown, but never used it again because we could walk everywhere we wanted to go from our hotel. It is just about a 4 block walk from where the Red Line train drops you off coming from the airport(45 min or so ride).

The rooms them selves were modern, up to date, clean and very quiet to outside noise (this my biggest thing with hotels). The bathrooms were big with really nice showers. TV had great channel selection and bed was very comfortable.

We did not use many of the hotel amenities because we were only there for 1 night and we were out doing things most of the time, but the hotel staff was very friendly at check in and we didn't have any complaints about anything.

I would definitely consider this hotel again if I ever returned to Portland.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing river. The higher you go, the best chance of having views of Mt hood and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. I am pleased that your over all experience was great with us. We do hope that we see you again the next time you are in Portland!

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

the location is really great; Pearl district, Chinatown, Waterfront Park, etc. can be reached within 5 to 10 minutes by foot, huge variety of restaurants and bars in walking distance but ...

when I arrived they offered me a room on the 12th floor which they sold to me "more spacious than the others", but the room just had a tiny window and about 2 feet away from the window there was a large brick wall so I could not even see the sky! So I asked them to give me another room what they did. Unfortunately the "do not disturb"-sign was missing and one of the towels had a huge large spot (~10'' diameter; probably another guest has shined his shoes with it). Housekeeping fixed that pretty quickly and the staff was very friendly the whole time, but overall this is not the kind of service I am expecting when I stay at a Courtyard ...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Sorry for some of the issues you had with your stay and that we did not live up to your expectations, it is not the norm for us. I am pleased to read that you like our location and the staff was always friendly.

We value your business and regret not meeting you expectations!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Everything about my stay was great. First, the hotel is located in a great location only a few blocks from the light rail station from the airport, and in a central location which makes walking around quite easy. Also, I thought the room was in excellent condition and quite modern. I thought the staff was helpful and accomodating. Overall, I would definitely stay at this location again when I come back to Portland.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the 5 Star review, we love them. I am happy that you had a great stay and that this is the best Courtyard that you have stayed at! We look forward to your return.

Siloam Springs, AR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed here for a week in July 2012 and loved it! The Hotel staff were always friendly and helped us with directions and areas around town. The location was great, within walking distance to several great restaurants!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the 5 Star review. I am pleased that you had a great stay with us. We hope to see you again the next time you come to Portland!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Our room was disappointing. It felt rather small and the decor and furnishings were basic and unattractive. The shade on the standard lamp was loose on its fittings and wonky. Our first task on entering the room was to remove the non-washable bolster and cushion which were in contact with the clean bed linens. The bed was comfortable but the sheets were not good quality and the pillows overfilled and lumpy. The room does not have a safe (although one was available in reception - but even then the box we were allocated was very awkward to open) . Internet is free but cuts itself off every few minutes when not in use.

A lack of attention to detail was also evident in the bathroom, from the wafer thin toilet paper, to the shower control with hot and cold transposed and a tissue box empty except for a few screwed up bits of paper stuffed into its orifice.

I suspect our disappointment was partly due to the contrast with the excellent Residence Inn by Marriott which we had stayed in the previous night in Vancouver,Canada. Since the Residence Inn room rate includes breakfast, the cost is similar. We asked a member of staff to explain the relative position of two brands in the Marriott portfolio. He said that Courtyard by Marriott is marketed primarily to the business traveller. This probably explains why drinking water is on sale in the rooms for $ a bottle since the guests can reclaim the cost on their expense accounts!

Room Tip: There are probably much more spacious rooms than the one we were allocated.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. I sure don't like to hear that our guests think our hotel is mediocre. It is not the norm for us. We take you comments to heart, as it is always away for us to improve on our product and service.

We value your business and hope that you give is a try again.

Valley Stream
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

First I would like to tell you that the staff is great. They would talk to me and my wife and when we asked about places they tried to give personal experience advice. When we wanted to know about a place for a drink or dinner with great river views one of the staff told me that I would love the Portland City Grill, which was right across the street on the 30th floor. It was a great recommendation and there were other things too.
The rooms were not the biggest but they were clean and well appointed. I loved the bathroom shower and the bed was huge. My one complaint with the room was that the only waste basket was in the bathroom and the fridge was a bit noisy.
The hotel bar was friendly and they had pretty good drinks but they closed at 10 PM. In the same room is the restaurant and they had real nice breakfasts and wonderful coffee.
I like to run and the hotel is just 5-6 blocks from the waterfront esplanade and it is a wonderful place to run. This place is always filled with runners, walkers and bikes all day long. The steel bridge has a pedestrian path that cuts across the Willamette River and the views are great. We were also near the Streetcars and bus stop is right by the building. You are near shopping, Powell's Books, the Portland Museum of Art, many coffee shops and there also two brewpubs just a short walk away. There are also the three different food wagon courts inside of a 4 block walk.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the nice review. Sounds like you had the opportunity to take in Portland. I am pleased that you had a nice experience with us and that the staff was great! Thank you for the feedback on the trash can. We have few in each room, so I passed your comments onto housekeeping. Thank you for staying with us!

Hope to see you again!!

Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Great location downtown. Located 2 blocks from the Tri-MET to/from the airport. Clean, tidy rooms. Stylish decor throughout the property. Good restaurant attached. Coffee shops and restaurants nearby, Powell's bookshop only blocks away!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you had a nice stay with us and that you enjoyed the location, the clean room and the stylish decor. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center? Share your experiences!