“msphillyvirgo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel on the River - Jantzen Beach

Save Saved
You added Red Lion Hotel on the River - Jantzen Beach to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel on the River - Jantzen Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   909 N. Hayden Island Drive, Portland, OR 97217 (Formerly Doubletree)   |
Ranked #42 of 132 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“msphillyvirgo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently stayed here for a wine conference and I had a very pleasant experience. I opted for a club level room and was able to get fresh brewed coffee every morning right outside my room which was outstanding. I was also able to check my email everyday. In addition, every staff member I encounted was very pleasant, attentive and helpful, especially the bar and wait staff. I would definitely recommend this hotel and may travel there again. Also, the view of the river from the restaurant and my room were excellent.

Room Tip: spend a little extra for "club level' it is well worht it if you're like me and need yo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I’m not really sure how to rate this hotel. For me it was OK, but Mrs Pontac thought it looked ‘tired’ and in need of redecoration. She particularly disliked the ill fitting patio doors in the restaurant that meant a table by the window – and you want to sit there because of the great views over the river – meant sitting in an icy draft.

The hotel website makes much of the size of its rooms; I can’t visualise what 450sq ft looks like but we had a room with two queen beds and one was too close to the wall for a person to stand on that side. The room didn’t seem significantly larger than a standard Holiday Inn Express or any other hotel. Although, plus point, the room did have a balcony, although unfortunately it was too cold/wet outside for us to use it.

The beds were large and comfortable, it was quiet and we slept very well.

But there was just one easy chair and one desk chair in the room. In the 21st Century I think it reasonable to expect a couple to both want to use their computer and a table or desk that can be used by two should be on the hotel’s list when they next renovate. Internet access was fast and fairly reliable and one didn’t need to mess with passwords.

The bathroom was large and well appointed and there was a second sink outside and opposite the fridge/microwave station with an arthritic coffee machine that took about 30 minutes to produce the brown stuff.

Unlike some other hotels which have courtesy coffee in reception, this hotel has a coffee shop — presumably and understandably because it’s a conference location with many seminar rooms, and many of the people using the facilities would not be staying there.

We stayed there for a week and during that time I attended a conference. The hotel did a magnificent job setting up the function rooms and catering the meals.

The hotel staff were unfailingly courteous and friendly, always greeting guests when passing in corridors.

But Mrs Pontac – who was not attending the conference – was unhappy that the bedroom was not serviced until after midday and sometimes very late afternoon.

The hotel is located on an island, there are river views from the restaurant and from some rooms (though not ours unless you stood on the balcony). There is ample free parking and the hotel is just by the freeway off/on ramps. (I didn't hear any trafic noise in the hotel).

It’s not downtown, there are some fast-food places, a Denny’s and a BJs Brewhouse and an assortment of shops very nearby but without sidewalks we didn’t feel like walking to them.

There is a nearby MAX station (Metro Area Express light rail system). The hotel shuttle bus will take you there and collect you. It’s $5 for an all day metro ticket and the MAX tram goes down the centre streets of downtown Portland in a loop, takes about 20 minutes from the stop by the hotel. Vey easy, cheap and safe to use.

So, what else to say about the Red Lion? A stupid little niggle... When I booked I paid extra for breakfast to be included and was given tickets when I arrived headed ‘complimentary breakfast’ which irritated since I’d paid for breakfast.

Room Tip: There's an exclusive 4th floor which can onlybe accessed by putting your room key in the elevato...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I don't like to trash any location but this can't be avoided. The desk staff was extremely helpful-but boy oh boy.
When I entered my room i found tuffs of dog hair in several locations in the room. There were also urine stains on the floor in the bathroom. It took three days for these issues to be resolved. I also stumbled upon the Russian maid who had tied my knit shirt to the clothes hanger and had the heavy oak door tied open with my shirt. My shirt was ruined- the hotel said they would replace the shirt if I could produce the original purchase receipt for the shirt-sorry, I don't carry that stuff around in my wallet. The location is horrible-there is no place to walk to eat unless you like burger king or prefer a Safeway grocery store to dine-also it isn't a very nice area to walk-especially at night. This is exacerbated by the large number of homeless hanging out at the nearby re-cycling center. Your choice-good luck!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
redlionjbpdx, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River - Jantzen Beach, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
I was sorry to read your overview of the unfortunate and regrettable experiences that you had with us. Our hotel manager has been made aware of the challenges you had and hopefully has been able to connect with you to come to a resolution for you.

We seek to ensure every guest is satisfied with all aspects of our service and product and as you can see by other reviews we have had many happy guests. We are deeply sorry that you did not have a similar experience.

On behalf of our entire hotel team please accept our most sincere apologies and we wish you future happy travels.

Kindest regards,

Warrenton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed 7 nights at the Red Lion for a wine conference and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in one of the club level rooms. We had the chance to visit most of the conference rooms, bar and taste the chef's food at the conference and were impressed by the delivery to over 500 people. The staff went out of their way for our members and ourselves to make the experience very enjoyable. The rooms were spacious and the shower rocked. The club level breakfast and coupons for drinks in the evenings came in handy even though we had much of that at the conference as well. Our shower was draining slowly and they fixed it within minutes of our mention of it.

Room Tip: A view of the river is worth the effort.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Bend, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

On our last jaunt to Portland (half business/half fun), I really wanted to stay at a swanky little boutique hotel, but finances nixed that idea. We remembered the Red Lion (where they have an excellent park & fly program, by the way), and were relieved when the room rate was so reasonable. Even more delighted when we got there and the room was almost...swanky! Our room was super spacious, very clean (I'm a nut about that), and very well appointed. They paid attention to the details, with a beautiful bathroom (and nice amenities), modern touches (dark woods, marble, etc.), and most importantly, a very comfortable bed (and pillows). I always appreciate having a fridge and micro when we travel, too. We did not get one of the view (or balcony) rooms, but we were traveling with our dog, and liked having easy access to the exit/entry door so we could take her on walks (fabulous walking trail right there). They are very pet-friendly, and there's just a small extra charge for them. It is a huge facility, clearly geared up for conventions, but we felt right at home for our little adventure. Easy access to I-5 made it simple to zoom all over Portland. Yes, next time we'll ask for one of the rooms overlooking the gorgeous Columbia River and bridge, but we were happy campers this time.

Room Tip: River views on the north side
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
redlionjbpdx, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel on the River - Jantzen Beach, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
What a joy to read your review.... we are honored that you took the time to tell others about your stay and do hope that the next trip to our area you not only will enjoy our surroundings but we'll be sure you get one of those great rooms overlooking the mighty Columbia River!

Again, thanks so much for lettting others know about us!

Happy travels!

United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed for 7 nights. The rooms are very clean, fresh and well appointed. Took the tip from other travelers and got a room with a beautiful view of the Columbia river. Since we were also attending a conference there, we were in many of the rooms used for conferences. All rooms were clean and well organized for the meetings. Many of the rooms had access to the outdoors and views of the river. The entire staff, restaurant, housekeeping, maintenance and front desk were extremely pleasant and helpful. There is a lovely walk of about 1 mile along the river. The only hitch that we had was with the airport shuttle. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
redlionjbpdx, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel on the River - Jantzen Beach, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
We get a number of fun reviews but to hear that you think we ROCK takes this month's prize for putting us in the best mood! Thank you for taking time to tell others what you think of Red Lion Hotel on the River... I will be certain to pass on to our entire team that you think they ROCK.... and I can say, I completely agree!

Next time you come to our area I, on behalf of our entire team, sure do hope you will allow us to be of service to you and we will ROCK right along with you.

Happy travels to you!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was gorgeous. Nice hotel with the water steps away. Rooms were large, open and clean. The hotel was busy but once in our rooms we felt like we were the only ones in the hotel. Hotel staff were very friendly.

We used this hotel as a pit stop for some shopping on our way back to Canada

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Red Lion Hotel on the River - Jantzen Beach? Share your experiences!