“Best Portland Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of MacMaster House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
MacMaster House
You added MacMaster House to your Saves list
1041 SW Vista Ave, Portland, OR 97205   |
Ranked #28 of 40 Portland B&B and Inns
California
“Best Portland Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2007

Great location, great B&B, great hosts. We had a wonderful time during our visit and look forward to going back again.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
Business
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2006

We enjoyed our spacious room at the MacMaster very much, and the breakfasts were outstanding. It's in a wonderful location Portland, walking distance from so many interesting places, not least of all the Washington Park with its famous Rose Gardens. The fresh flowers and warm charming hosts all contributed to our stay at the MacMaster. I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed November 2006
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2006

The yard was a mess. The office contains a rabbit cage and a dirty fish tank. You can imagine the smell. The rooms are dated and there is no theme to anything. We passed on the breakfast as the place wasn't very clean.

• Stayed August 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
innkeeper1041, Owner at MacMaster House, responded to this review, October 8, 2006
In response to "Pass", the home is historic not dated. The furnishings are either antique or period. There is no fish tank in the office but yes we do have a rabbit that lives here and we have guests that do not even know she is in here until they depart the room, which means to me that there is no scent or it would be obvious. As far as cleanliness, the home is cleaned daily and the kitchen is put to bed clean at night and prepared for the breakfast hour. We have always passed our health test with nearly 100% ratings with the state. Thank you for your consideration.
Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

I travelled to the West Coast for the first time. It was important for me to find a place where I would feel comfortable since I was travelling alone so I opted for a B&B rather than a hotel.
The MaCMaster house is a historic building. The interior had murals on many of the walls and the furnishings were in keeping with the history of the home .The owners are restoring the home so there was a little painting on the porch
which prevented sitting out there. However there was a large living room where there was a big book collection and also a big video library which you could take to your room. There was also a stereo and you could pick and play music whilst sipping the red wine that was put out every night. There was a small patio behind the living room where I often sat which was surrounded by trees and was peaceful.
There was also a small refrigerator at the bottom of the steps that was kept supplied with a selection of local beers (very good)
and white wine. Also a popcorn machine and a plate of delicious cookies..
My room was small but very cozy and the bed was very comfortable. It was nice and quiet and looked out onto a quaint rose garden. The sheets were pressed and there were robes provided., also a fresh supply of towels daily. This was great since I did have to share a bathroom. I thought this might be a problem but it worked out fine as it was next door to my bedroom. The bathroom was clean and bright but was not modern which I did not expect in that age house.

The breakfasts were delicious. I could not wait to see what Chip would make every day and when he learnt I liked Cappuccino he made me a large cup everymorning just the way I liked it. I was also asked about any dietary restrictions I had. Breakfast was served around an oval dining table and I met interesting people.

The location was great. Transportation was on the doorstep and 23rd street was within walking distance (a great neighborhood)
The Washington gardens were right around the corner. I did walk into town but it was a long walk.
The nicest thing about the Macmaster House is that the owners make you feel at home and were so informative on tours, transportation or any interests the occupants had. they even gave their toll free number so I could call them when I drove to Central Oregon in case I got lost. As far as I am concerned that is going beyond the call of duty! They let me store my luggage in their office and use the house until my flight (the red eye).
I felt much safer staying there than if I had stayed downtown and when I returned every night and saw MacMaster house around the corner I felt as if I had returned home!
I would stay there again because of the hospitality I received.

• Liked — the hospitality
  • Disliked — sharing a bathroom
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2006

We purchased a catered dinner for 8 at an auction at the MacMaster house. After discussing the menu we opted to book 4 rooms and extend the festivities. We are certainly glad we did. Over a delicious 7 course meal, host Skip explained the history of the house, the finer points of the food we were eating and the wines which accompanied it. We then retired to the parlor and sipped hot chocalate to the sounds of classical music and had a chance to chat cordially with other guests. Our rooms were lit with fireplaces too and the beds were as comfy as any luxury hotel. The guest robes were so cozy we ended up purchasing some for our mountain retreat. From the moment we arrived until our departure our every need was met. We have since recommended the MacMaster House to friends who will be having their own gathering there soon. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2006

I have sought out and stayed in B&Bs around the world, from Arctic Alaska to South Africa, and MacMaster B&B is the only one that rates five glittering stars in every category: beautiful rooms that are both elegant and comfortable; luscious sheets and pillows; delicious full breakfasts beautifully served; hosts who are helpful, easy-going, and generous; location in a lovely, historic, quiet part of town, with the beautiful green paths of Washington Park a five-minute walk in one direction and some of Portland's most interesting and unique shops a fifteen-minute walk in the other direction. I had to leave at 4:00 AM to catch an early flight, and Skip and Louise even packed me a breakfast to go. Instead of finding a bed & breakfast when business or vacation takes you to Portland, make a reservation at MacMaster first, and then find some excuse to make the trip!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

We stayed at the MacMaster House on our Wedding night in the McCord Suite. It was beautiful! Upon our arrival they had placed flowers, candles and bath salts in the bathroom. It was amazing!!! We returned for our first anniversary and plan to return each and every year. The breakfasts are amazing, the location is great and the staff is very friendly. If you get a chance, stop in and meet Calli the rabbit for the sweetest bunny kisses. Enjoy your visit.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to MacMaster House? Share your experiences!