“Typical Airport Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Scottsdale, aZ
“Typical Airport Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This Courtyard is pretty much like the rest. The room layout, at least the one I received was a little narrower than I am used to, but it wasn't unbearable. Instead of the sink being across from the closet there was no closet and the sink was right next to it. I would have preferred to have a closet.

Otherwise the room was clean and fairly up-to-date. Housekeeping seemed to be on top of their game. The food, as well as the service, at the restaurant was good too.

Comfortable bed and my room even had a refrigerator and microwave. I really like when the room has a fridge so I can keep a couple bottles of water in it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that your stay with us was a good one. We hope that when you are in the Portland area in the future we will have the pleasure of being of service to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed here in July 2013 at the beginning and end of a mountain biking trip since this was the location that the tour company uses to meet up with trip participants. The hotel provides convenient shuttle transportation to and from the airport which is great. The staff was very friendly and super helpful. The little restaurant downstairs has a limited but good menu for meals if you don't want to go out. The location isn't great (kinda far from downtown) but you can get the train at the airport. I was able to take the free shuttle back to the airport on my 'free' day to catch the train to all areas of Portland that I wanted to see. My rooms was very clean. Bed & pillows were great and I had a decent size fridge and a large flat screen TV. WiFi was free and it had a strong signal. Overall this is a good hotel for stop overs in Portland if you need easy access to the airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience! I am delighted that we provided you with clean, friendly, comfortable accommodations during your visit to the northwest. We hope to be your hotel of choice should you return to our fair city. It was a pleasure having you with us.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Shuttle from/to airport is convenient, but a bit of a drive to downtown. Staff friendly and helpful. Check-in was fast. Room clean and comfortable, although seemed a bit outdated. Woken by false smoke alarm at 4AM but otherwise good stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
I appreciate your review. Thank you for sharing with the TripAdvisor community. We look forwrd to seeing you again soon!
Lihue, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Great place to stay if you fly in late to PDX, or need to leave early in the morning. Shuttle driver was prompt, courteous and friendly. Front desk clerk was professional and friendly. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We look forward to being of service to you in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Lobby was updated, rooms were not. This place has horrible surrounding traffic. Close to a major freeway entrance that everyone is trying to get on. No free breakfast. Dining options are limited if you don't want fast food. Far from city center. Clean rooms, easy going staff.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thanks for your post. We have experienced delays in renovating our guestrooms, however we should begin the process very soon. The traffic you experienced was worse than normal and I am sorry if that created an inconvenience for you. The city is in the process of constructing a new on-ramp to help with the congestion. We are looking forward to its completion. Additionally, dining options can be limited if you do not have a car, however, we offer a fantastic selection of items in our Bistro, including Steak, Seafood and Pasta. Next time you are with us stop in and give us a try. It would be our pleasure to be of service to you in the future.
Manhattan Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel has the worst staff I have ever encountered in any Marriot property. Both check in and check out staff were unpleasant.

The woman who checked me in was abrupt and unfriendly. My Marriot profile was ignored and I was given a room at the far end of the hall. I was standing alone in the lobby with 6 large heavy travel cases. There were no luggage carts available. I had to make 3 trips from my room to the elevator.

When I got to my room it was hot. I looked at the thermostat and it was set to 72 degrees. I had to lower it to 64 degrees to get the AC to turn on.

The amenities in the room were good, nice TV, fresh looking furniture and carpet.

I ate at the properties bar, restaurant. Even though the menu is Identical to other Marriott properties the food was not good in comparison. Buffalo chicken wings were overcooked and very dry. The soup I got was cold...not warm...cold. I used the lobby microwave to heat it up rather than sending it back.

I got back to my room and it was still warm. I maxed out the AC.

The toilet in the room was leaking and ran to refill every 10 minutes. It was loud enough to wake me several times at night.

My maid knocked on the door at 8AM, I loudly replied "just a minute" and the door was immediately opened. I just got out of the shower and had my underwear on. Why wouldn't they give the maid a list of checked out rooms to start with if she is going to start so early? At least she apologized.

I told the check out clerk about the problems with the room's toilet and AC even though she didn't ask about my stay. She barely acknowledged me. No apology, no "thank you" no "goodbye."

This hotel needs new management.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Portland Airport, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that your stay with us was so unpleasant. It is clear you encountered a variety of problems during your stay. Your experience is not what we strive to provide and I am so sorry that we failed to deliver an outstanding stay in the true Marriott tradition. Please be assured that your TA post will be shared with all of my staff in their upcoming meeting. The issues you have touched on will be reviewed and training energizers will be conducted with our staff. Again, I apologize for your experience and please know that we will work hard to make improvements as we move forward.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here recently for two nights on business. Beware of the king suites if your a lite sleeper! I initially had one and it turns out the suites are only on the side of the hotel facing a four lane road. Mine was at the end of the hall which was near a red light on the road. As the cars / trucks would speed-up the sound was quite pronounced. I was lucky the hotel was not full and I was able to change my room to the backside which was much more quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms on backside are much more quiet.