“Scam artist. Stay away.” 1 of 5 stars

Banfield Value Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1525 NE 37th Avenue, Portland, OR 97232   |
Ranked #123 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Scam artist. Stay away.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I made a reservation via phone with a woman who claimed to be the owner/owner's wife. I was in the process of moving back to Portland and needed a place to stay until August. Upon my arrival I was greeted by a woman who confirmed my reservation until August.. I was told the room would be $385 a week, which I was fine with. The room itself was dingy. I had to have the fridge replaced because it was covered in mold (as was the shower). The hotel staff was far from friendly--owner came out screaming at people on multiple occasions. After three weeks I went down to the office to pay for the following week and was told (by the same woman who checked me in) that they overbooked the hotel b/c there was a Festivle in town. I was told that the manager "Frankie" would have to release my room when he arrived. Needless to say, Frankie was unable to release my room and sthe notes which said I would be staying until August, magically disappeared. Frankie then had the nerve to tell me that the arriving guest "made their reservations in advanced and sold out the hotel.." this was "bringing in big business and over $13,000 for the motel". So, the truth comes out.. Basically they lied and said my room would be available just to get my money for the three weeks I was there and they were vacant. Oh and then he had the nerve to ask if I would like to come back in three days and stay at their sister motel in the meantime. .stay far away. This place is dirty and the staff are a bunch of crooks.

• Stayed March 2014

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a nice little motel. The rooms are clean and come with fridge, microwave and hairdryer. Soaps and shampoos and towels were replaced daily and room was freshen. It is in a nice section of Portland with restaurants within walking distance. Guest laundry is on the bottom floor.

There is also stores to pick up pop and snacks within walking distance. You can be in downtown within 15 minutes-that is by the MAX that is three blocks away and bus is down the street. Staff was pleasant and cared about our stay. I will stay at the Banfield again if in Portland. The room was clean and comfortable. I would have given it a 4 but no clock in room. Overall it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: if you are going to be exploring the area all day. Stay here! CLEAN, comfortable rooms to come back...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I moved from las vegas to portland for school and this was the place I choose to stay. The extremely over priced and horrible smelling room was only accented by the rude front desk hostest(short, thinner, with dark brown hair) who refused to give me the address(when called to get for a friend to pick me up) to the motel,told me to have her google it, then had the nerve what I want it for?! hi, the guy that just paid 385 to stay in your dump and allow you to set on your butt being a miserable shrew... I wouldnt recomend this place for an ultrmax prison facility....stay far..... far.......away. portland is an amzing city aside from this pit.

• Stayed September 2013
Puyallup, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

For $145.00 the room was in terrible shape. Only a sheet on both beds. Pillows were from past guests. No hot water in the morning for 4 people to take a shower. People dumpster diving right by our room pulling out garbage. I would never stay in this hotel ever again.

• Stayed August 2013
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Awful, awful, awful. Pictures are NOT what you get at all. Rooms are shabby. My room did not have towel racks, hair dryer, headboard, trash can, coffee maker, nightstand nor table. Furniture was old and tired. No pool. Grounds unclean. Poop and cig butts everywhere. Attendant could really care less. Maid service did not freshen room. Room stank during my 3 day stay. Promised arable but none arrived. I did finally get a remote for the TV after nagging about it. Paint was stained. Bathtub was stained. Night blinds on window looked as if it were peppered with shotgun blast. After 1/2 hour the motel was visited by the police looking for someone. Walls are paper thin and neighbors on all sides very loud until late into the nights stayed. Only thing missing was "do not cross" crime scene tape. All this without offering nor accepting any price break for compensation for such a shoddy motel and lousy service. NOT STAYING HERE EVER AGAIN!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There must be better value somewhere in Portland.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Castro Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My first impression was that it was not a safe hotel, so asked that under no circumstance any one be allowed in my room that was with a night desk person at check in. The next morning I went to the desk and again stated my request for no maid service. The room had dirty blankets & bedspread, shower was moldy and a piece of jewelry missing I went to the desk they said the maids did not speak English so it wasn't their problem. The fact is maids went in my room when told not to. I have filed a police report the place is run by thieves
!

Room Tip: Don't go here!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Banfield Value Inn? Share your experiences!