“Great for Locavores and Foodies” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Urban Farmer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 3,629 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: between 5th and 6th Ave
Transit: We are located right on the Max Line at the Pioneer Place stop as well as the Steetcar Pioneer Place stop.
Description: Urban Farmer redefines the modern steakhouse with an emphasis on Northwest, sustainable ingredients and simple, straightforward preparations within a farmer chic environment. The menu honors national and local culinary traditions sourcing ingredients from some of the Northwest’s finest eco-friendly producers like Sudan Farms, Wooden Bridge, Nicky Farms, and Cattail Creek. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, weekend brunch and happy hour, Urban Farmer remains a reliable and approachable destination amidst Portland’s bustling food scene.Designer David Ashen of D-ASH Design in New York created a unique restaurant space within the 8th floor atrium lobby of the Nines Hotel. The space makes use of organic, reclaimed and modern materials such as a 20-foot communal table sourced from an old-growth Douglas Fir. The spacious “Deck” captures the light-hearted feel of outdoor dining and is accented by a field of wheat grass in the center of the room. A video installation by one of Portland’s favorite experimental artists, Matt McCormick, rolls stunning images of the city’s rural and urban landscapes. The “Pantry” offers an intimate setting with walls of steel and reclaimed timber, as well as shelves stacked with vibrant jars of pickled fruits and vegetables. The Library , adjacent to Urban Farmer in the lobby, is the ideal venue for guests to host private parties, play a game of pool or enjoy a quiet cocktail.
Ashland, OR
“Great for Locavores and Foodies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

The name says it all. It is locally and sustainably fresh food. The preparation is very good and they serve excellent quality meats, seafood and produce, so the natural flavors are allowed to speak for themselves without a heavy-handed approach. People who are looking for haute flavors, fancy sauces and so many restaurants favorite these days, loads of salt will be disappointed. There is a delicacy and subtlety that brings those natural flavors out.

We have eaten there three times, each of our last three trips to Portland. We like the location and the way it is situated inside the hotel lobby area and the design features are great. The one thing I will say is it is pricey and that goes for the food, wine and drinks. If you want to eat here at a more reasonable cost, try lunch.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Crescent City
“An amazing meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

The best restaurant experience of my life. The food was fresh, delicious, and unique ... the service was warm, friendly and knowledgeable. This isn't an inexpensive meal, and I don't usually eat at high end locales, but afterward, I felt I had underpaid for my meal and the service. A first-rate experience from beginning to end.

Oregon
“undiscovered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

Despite the negative reviews that have been posted, we had a great time for lunch. Excellent service, very tasty food with health-conscious options besides. We went for lunch and found it reasonably priced for such good flavors.
We all liked the food, the atmosphere. The service was the most attentive we've seen in Portland. We had various salads, including the roasted beet with quinoa, and the white bean soup with vermouth froth. We also split the chocolate trifle desert. All were very tasty. We did not eat the sweet confection on the chocolate trifle, and would have preferred a piece of fruit, such as a plump raspberry. Small complaint in an excellent lunch.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, OR
“Beautiful restaurant - average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I had dinner at Urban Farmer on Valentines day. The restaurant name describes it perfectly. Very urban contemporary, but with a farmhouse decor. Urban Farmer has a nice atmosphere about it and a beautiful very long bar. All of the waitstaff was very nice and the service was good. Unfortunately, I wished we had dined somewhere else and stopped by Urban Farmer for a drink after. This was a special Valentine menu ($95.00 per person) and I should have called the restaurant and asked about this, but did not. There were several courses and you were given 2 or 3 choices to choose from each course. My husband ordered the fillet Mignon and I order the cod for our main course. Both he and I were very disappointed with the whole meal. We spent $212.00, and could have gone to McCormick's or even Stanfords and had a far better dinner for half the money. We will not go to Urban Farmer for dinner again, although we may stop by for a drink sometime. I believe this restaurant is not going to make it in Portland unless they find a new chef. There's just too many good restaurants to choose from.

Vancouver, Canada
“Good but very pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Interesting decor and ambiance. The design is unusual, there are cubicles with glass walls as well as open areas closer to the bar.

We couldn't fault our server, she was very good. The menu is quite complex in terms of different steaks, so she took time to explain it properly. I'm glad I asked, as the description of some items which seemed appealing, definitely wouldn't have been for me.

I ended up ordering the tenderloin - not as unusual as some of the other items but I prefer my steaks tender and not too chewy. This one melted in the mouth and had a great flavour. My husband had the Kansas City steak, it had good flavour but a bit too chewy for his taste. We shared a side of squash, which was very good. We also had a twice-baked potato each, again very good.

They also provided home-baked bread - cranberry and ginger or something like that. It was very tasty.

We didn't have dessert, just cappucinos.

It was very expensive, one of the most expensive meals we've had in ages. It was good food and service, but the price we paid was over the top.