“Not very clean, very poor service in the restaurant, not a good fit for kids” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Portlander Inn and Marketplace

Portlander Inn and Marketplace
You added Portlander Inn and Marketplace to your Saves list
Portlander Inn and Marketplace
10350 N Vancouver Way, Portland, OR 97217   |
Ranked #103 of 133 Hotels in Portland
“Not very clean, very poor service in the restaurant, not a good fit for kids”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Rooms were very dirty, tried to get seating in the restaurant and they would not seat a party of 13, even though half the restaurant was empty. Lots of fleas in the rooms, cigarette burns on the bedding and stains on the carpet. Not a great place to take children.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Monterey, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is the third time I have stayed at the Portlander Inn. I chose it as our hotel for our current trip because of the amenities on site (plenty of parking, gas station, theatre, restaurant, convenience store, etc.) As in previous stays we found our room to be clean and safe with a microwave and mini-fridge.

Unfortunately this stay did not go as smoothly as previous ones.

I was very careful when I made my reservation online to reserve a queen room with a La-z-Boy recliner--my husband has back trouble and it's often more comfortable for him to sleep in a chair rather than flat on the bed.

We were due to arrive at approximately 9pm on the first night of our reservation and I called ahead to the hotel to confirm the reservation and to let them know we would be arriving later in the evening. I was told by the front desk that our late arrival wasn't an issue.

When we checked in we were given our room keys for a room on the second floor and headed off--unfortunately the receptionist failed to tell us that we were on the second floor in the East building (on the far side of the property next to the truck stop) rather than the MAIN building. After carrying all of our belongings upstairs only to find that our room didn't exist we were informed by housekeeping that our room was in the other building. We carried all of our belongings over to the other building only to find that our room keys did not open the door. Another trip BACK to the front desk revealed that the hotel was having trouble with their room key coding machine. We were given two new keys and a security guard accompanied us BACK AGAIN to the building to make sure the door would open.

Unfortunately when we finally arrived to our room we found that it was not only the wrong type of room (two full beds with no recliner) but ALSO directly in front of the truck stop's gas pumps. At a busy 24 hour truck stop I knew that this location was going to be an issue.

Another trip BACK to the front desk confirmed that there were no other rooms available. At this point I was fairly confident that our room had been given away because of our late arrival and the fact that we had made the reservation online at a discounted room rate.

I showed the receptionist the copy of my reservation that clearly listed which type of room we had requested and was told that it must have been some sort of computer error and that she didn't know how this could have happened. This was little comfort as it was now 10pm, we had been on the road for 14 hours, and we were facing trying to sleep with little chance of a quiet night. The receptionist said that they should be able to move us the next day but that confirmation of the move would have to wait until her manager arrived at 9am the next morning.

The next day the hotel did change us to the type of room we had reserved--on the quieter side of the East building--but only after I called to speak with the manager. I was very disappointed that this was not a smooth transaction.

The last two times I had stayed at the Portlander I made reservations over the phone--this time I made them online. I think that this may have been the difference since the front desk staff seemed uncomfortable working with an online reservation.

I may have saved a dollar or two by booking online, but I am unsure how willing I am to subject my husband and myself to this type of potential uncertainty in the future. IF we stay at the Portlander again I will make sure to clarify that the room I am reserving is in the main building--and would suggest that anyone else considering a reservation do the same.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

From the road there's an understandable temptation to think this is nothing more than a truck stop, but nothing could be further from the truth. The hotel is very professionally run; my check in was smooth, quick and uncomplicated.

The room was up to date, spotlessly clean, and otherwise pretty generic. This is not a character hotel, this is a clean, secure, well run place to sleep at night. It's clear that quite a lot of the clientele are over the road truck drivers in need of a real bed, perhaps while their rig is serviced. I was in town for one night to attend a concert just down the road, and what I wanted was a comfortable, clean, cost effective place to stay. Mission accomplished on all accounts.

Though I didn't explore the rest of the property there is a cinema and at least two places to eat, and fuel right out front.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011 via mobile

As a trucker it gives you room to park but so so accomodations. Probably better to stay in the new wing but more expensive.

• Stayed October 2011
Waldport, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011 via mobile

Room in the new wing was clean and well appointed. Cinema $3. Huge laundromat. nice restaurants. Convenience store and postal service.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Portlander Inn and Marketplace? Share your experiences!