“triple check your bedding needs with this place” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #37 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“triple check your bedding needs with this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Booked this room for 2 adults and 2 kids for my son's 8th birthday to spend a couple of days in Portland. We went online and let him choose and he wanted this place. We stay in Portland as often as once to twice a month so we have stayed almost everywhere. I contacted the hotel three days after I made this booking to make sure that the room had at least two beds and if my Step-Daughter wanted to stay possibly a roll-away bed too. I was told at that time they could give me an air mattress for the night for the 5th person. I called on my way into town to see if we could check in early and confirm that they had put us in a room that could handle the air mattress and was shocked to hear that they were over booked and put us in a room with one King bed. I explained in a panic that we had four people and could they please put us in another room. I was told in a somewhat snippy way that there wasn't anything they could do but they had a QUEEN size air mattress. I relented and accepted it since that would still give us a king and one queen then I could put my 8 year old in with my husband and I. I checked in later in the evening around 7pm and no air mattress was in the room I contacted the front desk and said that they hadn't brought it up and that I was very skeptical that we would be able to fit a queen size air mattress in this small of a room. They brought it up and when I unfolded it the mattress was a twin size. I called the desk again and at THAT time the clerk asks me "who told you it would be a queen size bed?" When I explained the issues from start to finish he said that the manager would call me back. i sent the rest of my family to use the pool while I tried to figure this out. It took her 25 minutes and me calling twice to get a call back from her. She told me her hotel was over sold and they didn't have another room to put me in that night. She could only offer two twin size air mattresses and she gave us coupons for free breakfast. The mattresses were flat by the time my kids woke up and we didn't use the breakfast as we weren't sure where it was and there was little direction as to where and how to go about it. The hotel itself is nice, the lobby is well laid out and there is a pool table for guests to use, a bar and an outdoor sitting area that is very nice. the rooms are clean and modern and you are very close to Buffalo Wild Wings and shopping. We like that area but I'm not sold on this place

Room Tip: Make sure you triple check your bedding needs
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Good day, bekula38. Thanks again for staying with us. As discussed on the phone and with e-mails, we apologize that your reservation was not as you liked. Did you ask the front desk team where breakfast was? They would have been happy to help you with breakfast and your breakfast coupons.

If you would like to discuss your stay further please feel to reach out to me.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed in Portland Afro the weekend and wanted a place close to the airport. The room is modern looking, to match the hotel. We swam in the pool, which was a bit cool. We had a drink at the bar and had great service there as well as at check in. The next morning after dropping my other half at the airport, I went back to enjoy more coffee and purchased some cereal in the food area that offers 24-hour service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed our customer service talent team! We work with a great group of people. I have passed along your information about the pool to my maintenance team. It should be heated to 83 degrees year round.

We hope you get a chance to stay with us again when you are in Portland!

Tivetshall St. Mary, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

The Aloft hotel at PDX is a super airport hotel - very close to the airport in the midst of a small group of outlet malls, restaurants, and smaller shops. The hotel has all amenities and is very modern in its fit out. The bed was very comfortable and room warm. The shower was a pleasure and the products of a reasonable standard. There is an IHOP open 24 hours for breakfast and a great Famous Dave's Pit Barbeque restaurant across the street which was very good - absolutely full on a Wednesday night! We enjoyed the happy hour and had a very good stay overall. We think this is a good value stop.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your detailed review Lamo001! We are so happy that you liked our hotel, its location, and our happy hour!

We hope that you get a chance to stay with us again soon!

SF Bay Area, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We are regular visitors to Portland, Oregon, and chose this aloft property for one of our recent trips. It served our needs well and I am happy to give it a great review.

On this particular trip, we brought our dog along (his first time on a plane!). Check-in was helpful, relaxed and professional. We were placed in a room on the first floor and they quickly brought us some doggie amenities, including food & water dishes, a bed and various treats. Our room was comfortable and clean. I agree with the previous review regarding the odd design of the bathroom and the weird placement of the bench under the television, but figure that's what you get with a hotel that is going after a modern look and feel.

Location wise, we were very happy, as we were visiting family and they live close by. This may not be the place for you if you want to be near the main attractions and neighborhoods of Portland.

Internet access was free and speedy, with no connectivity issues.

Things we didn't like: the lack of a good quality breakfast option was noticeable. The other hotels lining the street offer free breakfasts that, while not gourmet, at least have the basics like cereal & toast. There is no free breakfast at aloft, and the for sale options weren't that exciting (think frozen egg sandwiches). The hotel is located across from a large shopping center and we just went to Starbucks each day for coffee and oatmeal.

Second, while we appreciated being on the ground floor and next to the exit so that it was easy to take our dog out, it was not possible to get back into the hotel through the same door. In other words, we were right next to one of the fire exits and used that essentially as our regular exit with the dog. But unlike other places that have a key card entry at the alternate exits on their property, there is no way back into the hotel unless you walk all the way around to the main entrance. Mildly inconvenient, but perhaps we shouldn't complain since walking even just a little bit is good exercise.

On our next trip, we will not hesitate to stay at aloft again if pricing and other factors align that way. However, we will not seek this property out as a "go to" spot for our frequent Portland trips.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad your furry friend got to take advantage of trying out one of our ARF kits! For security purposes that fire door does lock behind you. I will pass along your comments to our maintenance/management team as having a key entry for that door. That's a great idea..

We hope that you get a chance to come back and see us.

Thanks so much for staying with us and have a beautiful day!

somerset nj & NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

The hotel is great looking and modern however there is a serious lack of comfort and privacy. The toilet and shower are located in a space that is closed off by a barn door on rollers, when closed there is a gap around the door you can stick you finger out from inside. The toilet is therefore not private at all. There are some things I really do not want to share, enough said! The other issue is that the only seating is a single office chair or the bed. There is a bench but it is not practical as it is located directly under the flat screen TV, this bench is only valuable for packages not seating. If you attempt to sit in the lobby it has the vibe of a bar which is loud, nice and fun if your looking for that scene but awful if your looking for a relaxing space outside your room. This hotel is fine if your by yourself. If your traveling with someone I would recommend the Hyatt Place next door where you get a couch, work station and most important of all privacy.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator, if your traveling with someone stay next door.
Green Features: This hotel is high on the list of environmentally savings hotels.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your review Frank! We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay was. Your feedback is a valuable tool that helps us to be the best property that we can. Our vibe is unique from most properties as we try to provide sassy, savvy experience for our guests. Our room layout is designed to provide an open, modern, bright space, but that style may not be for everyone.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you have a beautiful day!

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed here while on a business trip in September. A nice hotel with a nice casual vibe, but Starwood service and feel. I would definitely recommend this if you need an overnight option, or need to stay the weekend a little farther away from downtown. Good walking distance to some eateries and a shopping center too.

There's also a free shuttle between a couple neighboring hotels and the airport too.

My only gripe is with the entire area, which I don't hold against the hotel. Why are there no gas stations literally within miles of the airport? The first person to set up a gas station in that area could easily end up the richest person in Portland.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your review Desmond! I have often thought the same thing about the gas station. We really do wish there were closer options. It's good that we have restaurants and hopping options within walking distance, though. We are so happy you liked our hotel and enjoyed your visit. We hope you get a chance to come back again soon!

Claremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We chose the Sheraton Aloft for a quick weekend visit for a wedding. The hotel was excellent and the free parking was a big plus. Fortunately, nothing is very far away in Portland so getting around was easy. The staff was very friendly and helpful with directions and ideas for restaurants.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your review Amy! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the free overnight parking.

We hope that you get a chance to stay with us again soon!

Guest Services Manager

Been to Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station? Share your experiences!