“too hip for this middle aged biz traveller. Lacking basics needed for biz travel comfort but very clean.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station

Ranked #33 of 132 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

So I must not be the target market. I'm spg gold and travel on biz a lot and am pretty picky. Too loud, hip in the lobby. Hate the neon lights in the bedrooms. Bed comfort ok but definitely no Westin or Sheraton. But very clean and worked fine for the purpose of easy airport access. Front desk people very very nice.

• Stayed July 2013
Crystal S, Manager at aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hello minnesota_margot! Thank you so much for your review. Our front desk & Re: Fresh talent teams take great pride in taking care of our guests and we are so glad you noticed.

Thank you so much for staying weith us and we do hope to see you again on your next trip out of Portland.

624 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
DFW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed here one night before leaving early the next morning on a plane. Too trendy. The music when you walked in was so loud and so techno that I could not hear the mumbling lady at the front desk, who made no eye contact. The check out guy was barely audiable as well. Loud club level techno music is not cool at 4 am, and I LIKE techno music. Anyway the bathroom had a window to the bedroom, which woke up the wife. The bed was so uncomfortable that she got up and went to the other bed during the night! Come on. No fan in the bathroom? The pool inoperational? $10 for a water and breakfast sandwich? A dirty shower? By no means is this the worst hotel ever, but wow, it is designed poorly for a primary function--quiet restful SLEEP.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Crystal S, Manager at aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Our property certainly isn't for everyone as personalities differ. Our sister property, the Sheraton is lovely option for future stays.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with your further in regard to the issues with your stay. I would like to know which room number you were in and the date of your stay so I can follow-up with our House Keeping Manager in regard to the issues with your shower.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

503-935-5660
Btown wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Have you ever found yourself in a rut where it was same ol', same ol'? Where everything was so predictable that you new exactly what to expect? Well, after years and years of being faithful to Hilty for the few crumbs he threw me I decided enough was enough. It was time to explore new horizons and find out just what I've been missing. Wow! I feel like I've been walking around with blinders on for years! Aloft, you knew exactly what I was missing and blew me away with your sassy design savvy and extreme coolness which turned out to be extremely hot! Who knew that a big, bold sign could be so alluring? Or, that your jazzy lobby was so Portlandia chic? And, then to top it off with a family of 4 Portland Attraction pass? Call me easy, but I'm totally sold and that was just at hello. You hadn't even gotten me to my room at that point. I hadn't realized what I'd been missing by being faithful, but you opened my eyes. I needed this escape from the mundane to explore my adventurous side. Thank you for one glorious night of infidelity. Let's do it again real soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
This has to be one of the most creative reviews we've ever gotten Nat! Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness! We pride ourselves on having a sassy, fun, space and are so glad you liked it...and we hope you like it again, and again!

We're so glad you "stepped out" with us and hope that this is the beginning of long relationship where we discover Portlandia together.

Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was really excited to stay at an "aloft" after the many good reviews on Tripadvisor and thru fellow travelers I've encountered. My early flight at PDX gave me the opportunity to stay at their location just two stops away from the terminal thanks to Portland's easy MAX light rail trolley.
I arrived on a Friday evening to a lobby that was packed with people... mostly having a great time drinking. I quickly found out that the hotel was hosting a high school reunion & many of the guests that night were part of the reunion.
Fortunately, the noise from downstairs did not follow me to my 4th floor room. It was a king room that was small... but the space was used in such a way that it did not feel cramped. Nice "bliss" amenities in the bathroom, complimentary bottled water and coffee... very nice. Due to my early departure in the morning, I did not partake in the fun at the lobby bar, WXYZ, though I could tell they were doing a brisk business. I did use their exercise room & that was on the main floor, near to the pool, with a respectable array of equipment for a night's layover.
The most interesting part of my room, was a connection box under the TV, which was a universal connection for those who traveled with their playstation/or XBOX video game system. I'm sure it has other uses, too, but I realized after discovering this box that I'm probably not the ideal demo for "aloft" since my XBOX is not part of my normal travel routine.
Nonetheless, I had a fine night's rest at "aloft" & was on to my next city the following morning without any issue.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your review Elsal! Looks like you discovered our plug & play system. Indeed, you can plug in your game systems, but what it is best for is plugging in your computer of phone. Whatever is plugged in goes directly up to the TV in the room. No having to worry about wires going into the back of the flat screen. If you forget your wires we have jack packs at the front desk you can rent out so you can connect whatever system you are using...:)

Thanky ou so much for staying with us and we hope we aren't too hip for a return visit. We'd love to have you with us again.

Shoreview, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We flew into Portland to get to Hood River area so we only stayed here one night. I would certainly stay here again. It is very convenient location for the airport and also has easy access to the light rail to get into downtown Portland. The rooms are modern and comfortable. It's nice that they have a bar and live music in the bar area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review pmlilac! We are so glad you got to stay with us on perfomance night at the hotel. They can be a lot of fun.

We hope to have you with us again soon!

Thanks again!

San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We picked Aloft after reading the positive reviews on Yelp and Tripadvisor.

We booked our room via http://olotels.com which had the best rate but shock and horror when we arrive, they don't have our reservation! After over 6 - 8 hours of driving, we were exhausted and the last thing we need is to have a problem with the reservation. Turns out, the hotel never received the reservation despite our having pre-paid to get the rate. They also tell us they've never heard of olotels. Very shady. The check-in staff were very patient and even tried calling long distance to resolve the problem but no dice. Olotels' support number only operates during certain hours. After 45 minutes of this, they offer to give us a room at the similar rate we got from olotels and while we had to pay twice, we went for it. Disputing the payment to olotels with credit card company but that's another story.

Enough of that horror story. The hotel itself has a modern, hip and cool vibe. In the lobby are couple iPads, pool table and a bar. There's also a breakfast and snack foods area where you select and buy your choice of processed foods. Kinda pricey but ok if you're in a hurry and need something quick.

We have a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool which I thought was nice initially (more on that later). The room itself is smallish but designed pretty cleverly to make the most of the space. You get a King size bed, work desk and LCD TV with HD programming. In the bath, you don't get a tub but a shower. Overall, the room is a bit smaller than most US hotels but still comfortable.

Free parking and easy access to the light rail to get into DT Portland also adds to the convenience.

There're restaurants within walking distance but these are mainly chain restaurants like Red Robin and fast foods.

Noise: that's the main negative about the hotel. Being so close to the airport, plenty of flights and associated noise in the mornings. The room being just above the pool brings loud music coming from the pool. The music is piped into the pool area 24 hours so you can hear it at night too.

The added star is for the staff being so patient and saving what might've been a disastrous vacation.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close the pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that we were able to get you a room and that you enjoyed your say with us. I remember how stressful this was! I would definitely recommend calling the hotel directly to reserve a room or using our site at aloftpdx.com. We hope that you get a chance to come back for a stress free visit next time. If we have your reservation with us ahead a time we can request a higher floor for you so that you could be away from any possible noise. We also have complimentary ear plugs available at the desk!

Thanks for your review and hope to see you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Very clean rooms are spacious. Great location for a little Portland area shopping and close to the airport for travelers. Interesting decor, friendly and helpful staff, but the bar was a tad strange. One bar tender was not so very friendly and most of the customers were a bit on the odd side. Perhaps the boutique hotel brings in the unusual? No breakfast, unless you pay for it. That was the biggest downer. Great with my puppies!

Room Tip: Great for dogs. No breakfast for the price was a bummer. The restaurant near by for a hot meal did n...
Green Features: Had a refund if you use your towel again, aware of keeping the environment in good shape.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Crystal S, Manager at aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hello marilynnjsmith! Thank you so much for your review. We hope your dogs got to take advantage of one our ARF kits (pet bed, water/food bowls, dog treats). We're glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you get to stay with us again soon.

Guest Services Manager

Been to aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station? Share your experiences!