“Much more than most hotels offers!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Much more than most hotels offers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Much more fun than most limited service airport hotels. Funky, unexpected design works for either the younger traveler (or the young at heart traveler). Breakfast is not included, but is provided in a grab and go type of setting. Coffee is complimentary. Full bar with limited food choices for dinner is a great plus over most airport hotels. Pool table in the lobby and lots of great seating areas for gathering with friends or just getting out of your room when you're traveling by yourself. The pool is big enough to actual feel like you can make a lap. Nice outdoor seating area that is shielded from road noise. Shuttle to airport and 2 blocks from Cascade Station - the light rail that will take you anywhere in the city. Great choice for the money!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Beautiful, modern new hotel situated near several eateries, shopping, light rail, and the airport. Easy check in/out. Room was very designer-modern, with a platform bed, workstation with chair, and a little bench. Huge flat screen TV loaded with lots of interactive features to describe hotel services, local area, and the weather. Bathroom very clean and spacious with a huge, glass-doored shower. Pocket door between toilet/shower area and sink/closet area is an interesting choice.

The media hub on the desk is really cool. In addition to providing multiple charging outlets, there are also receptacles for HDMI and RCA-style a/v cables so that you can play or stream movies to the flatscreen from your own laptop. Bring your own cables.

Also cool is the Big Ben Moonbeam alarm clock, the kind that wakes you up gently by progressively lighting up and then flashing (no buzzer). I always wanted to try one of those because I was skeptical that it wouldn't wake me up. But it really worked!

Food is available downstairs 24/7 through a self-serve kitchen area. It's mainly frozen sandwiches (breakfast and lunch/dinner) that you heat yourself, but it's decent if you're on the run or want a late night snack. There are also beverages, cereals/milk, fruit, etc.

Gym and beautiful indoor pool are also available 24/7. I believe there was a hot tub.

The only drawback: the lobby bar. It is a fashionable martini bar, and there are several little loung-style sofas and benches, very posh and stylish. That's not the problem. The problem is the young, local clientele and all their romantic angst. Drunk girls dragging each other off by the elevators with an urgent "I've got to talk to you", drama unfolding when Susie sees Billy putting the moves on Nancy. It was just a little too much if you want a leisurely drink before bed. If I'm purposefully going to a place like that, fine. But a little lobby bar? In an airport hotel? It's not a deal breaker, but beware what lurks in the lobby late on a weekend night!

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Funky modern place, scandinavian inspired design. We really liked the design and took lots of pictures. It had a sexy frosted glass window into the shower from the room, that was fun. :) We had an issue with housekeeping as I asked for no down but they left a spare down pillow in the closet, and the foam pillows they had were too thin and hard for my taste. Housekeeping was quick to fix that and did bring us extra towels and foam pillows so that was great. The platform bed was good for me as I have a platform bed at home, but might be too firm for some. The TV options were pretty good - HD MTV, ESPN, and Showtime to name a few.

The front desk staff was really nice and very helpful. They had special computers to print boarding passes, but Southwest wasn't on there ... but the front desk directed us to 2 iMacs where we could print our passes for free, or surf the web if we wanted.

We didn't use the pool but seemed like everytime we looked somebody was in there enjoying themselves! (We could see the pool from our room)

The location was great - I was surprised that for an airport hotel, there was a big shopping area across the street. We walked to Starbucks for breakfast. There's an ihop next door and some other lunch options in walking distance too. It was also a very short walk to the Cascades MAX train station and an easy ride into town.

We had a 6am flight out of PDX so we stayed here instead of going into the city and we were glad we did. There were good shades on the window so we could make the room nice and dark for our early bedtime. The shuttle came fast at 4am and was quick to get us to the airport.
We were surprised we didn't really hear any noise from the planes at all. However there was loud music from a live band in the bar Saturday night and we could hear it from the room. I tried to set the thermostat fan to "On" setting to drown out the noise but it didn't stick that way all night.

Ideas for improvement - better foam pillows, improve thermostat fan setting memory, turn down music at the bar at night, tell housekeeping that asking for no down in the room also applies to the extra pillows in the closet

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I was attending a wedding near Portland and needed a place near the airport to stay one night. I made a great choice with Aloft. The staff was so friendly and accommodating when I arrived at noon after flying 16 hours; quick check-in and explanation of the hotel offerings. I was in love with the modern rooms and everything was clean and in its place.
I had a few last minute purchases to make and the shopping center across the street was convenient. There were also nearby restaurants and the bar downstairs was hopping on a Friday night. The gym had great new machines. Check-out the next day was just as easy.
I am looking forward to another Aloft stay soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I reserved a room at Aloft Portland for the last Saturday night of our stay in Oregon, because it was near the airport and a seemed upscale and modern. Our room was very comfortable and the airport shuttle service was great. My major issue with our stay was that upon check in there was live music in the bar that is adjacent to the lobby. The musician was great and the club atmosphere fun and unexpected, however, we could neither hear nor be heard during the entire check in process. Perhaps the desk attendant gave us instructions on finding our room (we could not hear most instuctions due to music volume) but we wandered for several minutes trying to find the first floor room corridor before we located it. Overall our stay was pleasant and our transition to the airport convenient and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor or higher to avoid being near the noisy lobby/bar
miami, fl.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I wish there were more of these hotels around. This is one of the coolest hotels I've had the pleasure of staying at in awhile. The rooms, while being a standard sized hotel room, are set up unlike any I've seen before. They are very modern and practical and obviously alot of consideration went into their design. The night we stayed, they had live music by the courtyard adjacent to the pool. It was great to be able to enjoy the music while our kids played in the pool. It was also a bonus that the pool was opened 24 hours. I did have an issue with the bartender, who charged more $$ during happy hour for the same drink I had been having prior to the happy hour. He apologized, but didn't make amends for it. The location is great. Literally 2-3 minutes from the car rental drop offs. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and can't wait till I can stay in one again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
La Grande, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I've stayed here twice and been very happy both times. The location is convenient, near a few chain restaurants, a Starbucks and some shopping. The hotel is clean and modern. The rooms are decorated with Ikea themes, and I so much appreciate their design. The shades can be pulled to completely black out light. The bathroom is back behind a wall behind the bed so that you can leave a nightlight back to the bath without disturbing your sleep.

I stopped at the bar last time and got some supper. (Fried mac and cheese bites and a dinner salad.) The prices were fair; the bartender was friendly and efficient.

The fitness center is great. The elliptical is new enough to have the built-in TV and they keep inexpensive headsets for your use in case you forget yours.

Fresh, hot free coffee in the lobby, as well as snacks you can purchase. I've been here for business, but I'd come back and stay here for fun. I'd love to hang out in the pool, go shopping at Cascade Station and Ikea. What a nice place, and the customer service is just fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station? Share your experiences!