“A Wonderful Hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
“A Wonderful Hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My first trip to Portland allowed me to stay at The Nines and I was not disappointed. There for a business meeting, the staff was very helpful, polite and accomodating in every way. The meals at the hotel were delicious as was the meeting support. The Nines is located perfectly in downtown Portland; easy for a runner to put in comfortable 3-10 mile runs in the vicinity of the hotel, close to great restaurants and walking distance to all the well-known beer tap houses. Portland is a great downtown area to visit and staying at The Nines makes it even better.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors offer fantastic views of the Willamette River, bridges and surrounding do...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is a beautiful Hotel with a great location. The service was top notch and both restaurant have great food, especially Departure. We had a great experience overall and I would absolutely stay here again. Great value!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel is a lovely. The rooms are beautiful. The service is good. The location is fantastic. It couldn't be more central to the downtown core. It's not by the water but the Willamete isn't much to look at anyway. There are different types of rooms here, but I have only experienced two, standard and suites. I would not give the standard room 5 stars, for me to give 5 stars the room has to have a view. If this hotel has standard view rooms I haven't seen them. I've stayed here twice and both times I faced brick walls. They hide those brick walls behind beautiful drapes and curtains, and it is a nice cover, but the Nines rooms are already small and it makes their small rooms even smaller. Their standard rooms I would only give 4 stars. My five star review is for their suites. They are gorgeous. Large, spacious, and positioned in the hotel corners for a better views. The hotel restaurant serves delicious food in a homey, farm style interior, laced with wood, canned fruits and vegetables. A nice touch. Finally, in my opinion, this hotel is not for families unless you are willing to pay for the larger suites, which are pricey, but if you are staying here I doubt price is a problem anyway, so splurge and pay for the upgrade. I did and my kids loved it.

Room Tip: As usual, the higher floors are better but the rooms all start on the 9th floor anyway thus "Th...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
SteveFaulstick, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Phillip H,

Thank you for staying with us at the Nines, and a wonderful review! I appreciate your glowing comments on our suites, they truly are exceptional.

With the Nines being located inside a historic building, we do have 23 different room types, all unique in their own way! We do have over 200 non-suite rooms that have city views, so I'm concerned you may have been mis-informed along the way. Plenty of large, two bedded rooms with large bathrooms that families love as well.
Please give me a call for your next visit, I'll make sure you get into the room that suits you best!

with THANKS!
Titusville, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for a couple of nights at the end of a family vacation in April, and loved the hotel. There's plenty of staff at the entrance to guide you to the 8th-floor reception, where everyone was warm and welcoming. Without our asking, they made every effort to get us three rooms that were close together.
The rooms were reasonable-sized and all overlooked the atrium. I was a bit worried about noise, but even with the bar at its busiest we didn't hear a thing. My only complaint about the room would have been that there were no coffee/tea-making amenities. This wasn't too much of an issue for us because we had lounge access, where coffee and tea are always available. Lounge staff were friendly and helpful, especially Peter, who took great care in mapping out my mother-in-law's walking itinerary and answering her many questions. Breakfast served in the lounge certainly hit the spot, and there is a happy hour with appetizers and wine/beer from 4 to 6pm. There are also desserts later in the evening, which we took full advantage of.
The location of the hotel can't be beat - so much is within walking distance. We did notice the large number of homeless people, but this seems to be a general Portland phenomenon and not limited to the area around the hotel. Having said that, we walked around the area in the evening and always felt perfectly safe.
Would definitely return.

Room Tip: get a room facing the atrium, they're quieter
Green Features: SPG allows you to opt out of housekeeping services. SPG members get 500 points per night, everyone else a $5 coupon per night.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
SteveFaulstick, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear ms_vicky_08560

Thank you for the kind, gracious words about your stay with us! Your feedback about our wonderful club level....both in offerings AND service, are great affirmation that we are providing what are customers want most!

Portland has grown and developed so much over the last 10 years, I'm thrilled that you had the chance to experience some of the great elements of our city as well!

We look forward to serving you again in the future!

All the best,
Salem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Although the lobby is on the eighth floor, the valets do a fantastic job of guiding guests in the right direction. Exiting the elevator, the decor immediately says "class". The views are amazing. The rooftop bar made a me the best mojito I have ever had. We found all of the staff to be friendly and helpful. I did miss in room coffee, we are in Portland aren't we? Overall, great visit.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Dear kristincredible,

First of all.....great name! Thank you so much for staying with us at the Nines, and sharing your experience! With the calendar turning towards summer, Departure becomes an even hotter destination. The views you experienced are indeed breathtaking, and Chef Gregory Gourdet has rolled out his latest menu updates, more great additions to savor.

with THANKS, Steve
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

If this is what Starwood considers a luxury property, I'm glad that I spend most of my hotel nights at Ritz Carlton or Waldorf Astoria Hotels, if I want luxury accommodations. We were in Portland for a Board of Directors meeting, this hotel was reported to be quite nice. Our room was on the club floor. Everything was in the room, but just small in size and absolutely nothing special. Half of the window was blocked by a drape that couldn't move, then there was part of a wall, and then a very small window that did not open, because a large sofa was blocking it. The bathroom was fine except for a mini-commode, and poor lighting. The bed was queen size not a king. there was limited drawer space, some of which didn't open because it was blocked by other furniture.
to the hotel's credit they did a nice job on breakfast and lunch for the meeting. The lobby floor (8) is very nice with a decent bar. The hotel is well located. Just nothing special. They did not even mention the Club Lounge when we checked in.

Room Tip: President Obama was in town at the same time, and he stayed somewhere else.
Green Features: They do have a green program, which gets you 500 Starwood points.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Dear Richard J,

While you greatly enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, I'm disappointed to hear your all around visit wasn't extraordinary. It sounds like our communication could have been much better, and I've shared with the team to ensure we identify those areas of opportunities.

We do hope to have you as a guest in the future, please reach out to me personally if you're travels bring you to Portland again.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Some hotels just sort of get it right, and The Nines has got it right.

After the initial awkwardness of learning that the hotel lobby was on the eighth floor, everything was a complete delight over my four-night stay.

My sweet five pound dog and I found the room incredibly well laid out and appointed comfortably and beautifully.

Reserving through AmEx's FHR website brought us our usual bevy of amenities such as breakfast for two each day, 4pm late checkout, and an upgraded room (which bonus was that we were on the Club Floor).

Traveling alone I found the surrounding neighborhood a little sketchy for late-night walks with my pup and mostly stayed within sight of the front door after letting the hotel employees I was out for my dog's potty stroll.

Management - fantastic. Thank you, Michael, for calling me to clarify whether housekeeping should enter while my dog was alone in the room while I out has having lunch. This is the mark of a luxury property and I so appreciated the call.

OH, last, I must give praise to room service. Friendly, helpful in offering suggestions, quick and delicious meals.

Housekeeping was uniformly excellent as well.

I loved our stay and we will be back!

Room Tip: A room on the Club Floor (snacks & spirits!)
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Dear Malibama,

So pleased to hear you had a delightful stay with us at the Nines. I'm fortunate to have such a great team here, and I'm thankful for your comments about not just the beautifully appointed hotel, but the many examples of extra effort service you received! The club level is truly a wonderful experience, I'm happy you got to enjoy it!

with THANKS,
Steve

Been to The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland? Share your experiences!