“The Nines IS my Destination” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #11 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Greenacres, WA
“The Nines IS my Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

When asked why I was visiting Portland my reply, "I'm here for The Nines". Not for shopping, or the great restaurants, but for the hotel and to spend time with my sisters at my favorite Portland hotel.

I absolutely love the Nines & wonderful Club Lounge staff & concierge's (Patrick, Aaron, Jody, there are a couple others and i'm so so sorry I've forgotten some names but I love you all. You too Josie even though I didn't get the chance to say "hi" this last time).

I have been visiting The Nines for 5 years now and it's my ONLY Portland hotel (unless I need to be by the airport and opt for Sheraton). As SPG Platinum they have always taken great care of me. There are not many room types for "upgrades" but access to the club lounge is a type of upgrade in its own . .best club lounge EVER with great staff. And this visit I reached 50nts for the year and did in fact receive a lovey upgrade to Corner room w/ 2 queen beds on 9th floor with fabulous view of Pioneer square (along with club lounge access & complementary internet as Platinum).

I've read many reviews with complaints on the room size, I've only once had smallish room with atrium view and since learned to book "City View" rooms with 2 beds. I love the decor, the beds and bedding and always have a great night sleep here.

As fabulous as my stay was I do have a couple items to note:

1) The red wine being offered in the club lounge is terrible, thankfully the champagne was wonderful. One suggestion, the Urban Farmer was serving a very inexpensive Cab/Sav for happy hour, "Domino" I believe, and it was much more palatable.

2) All my previous stays the coffee in the lounge has been great, this time however it was extremely week and really needs to be a bit stronger, at least weekend mornings please :)

Honestly those are the only faults I found with the Nines.

Check-in was quick and smooth and our room was ready early, Anna was very pleasant & helpful. Food throughout the hotel is wonderful, no need really to ever go out the front door. I enjoyed heavenly Eggs Benedict with snow crab at the Urban Farmer, and in the evenings my favorite is to order the Potato Tart on the dinner menu sidedish but its a meal in its own (see pic). I'm on vacation when at the Nines so calories don't count right :) The rooftop restaurant, Departure, also has very tasty items and I love the Shu Mai (port dumplings) with dash of hot mustard . .soo yummy and a Must-Have every visit.

Then rounding out the hotel dinning, the club lounge has very fun little mini-dish items and desserts (as well as continental breakfast). . .the drinks are okay at Urban Farmer & Departure but nothing compares to the enjoyable Club Lounge staff and intimate setting the lounge offers. It was an extraordinary weekend at The Nines with my two wonderful sisters. We'll undoubtedly be returning. Thank you for everything!

Room Tip: **If worried at all about a small room, book a corner city view room with 2 beds.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Every year before Christmas we spend a weekend in downtown Portland and this year we decided to try The Nines. The hotel location is ideal for shopping and dining. There are a lot of great stores and restaurants within a short walk. The hotel is well maintained and the room we had was very comfortable. The linens are luxurious and the hotel staff was very pleasant and willing to help us when needed.

The price is about the same as other hotel in it's class and The Nines is on our short list of downtown Portland hotels to stay at in the future.

Room Tip: The front desk can point you in the right direct for activities and restaurants in downtown Portland...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

If you have the option to choose any hotel in Portland, choose this. The attentiveness of the staff and the ease of location already are a double win right off the bat. Add to this that the entire hotel is a museum exhibit (complete with an online app or a brochure that guides you through the art). If upgrading to Concierge Level is even a consideration...do it. Not your standard breakfast, happy hour or desserts are served in the lounge - but food from their first rate restaurants. The streetcar and light rail are around the corner or just walk to your nearest restaurant, boutique or tourist attraction. We are ready to make this an annual trip!

Room Tip: Ask for one with an outside window. The courtyard is beautiful, but outside seems even better.
Green Features: Love that they compost, have bins for recycling and linen re-use option!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Advice: stay on the club level, makes the hotel a 5 star experience!

My mom, sister and myself do a Portland shopping trip every other year. This was our first time staying at The Nines. The location doesn't get any better, with Macy's being just outside the front door, mere steps away. That being said, the best part about our stay was the club lounge. Peter aka "Happy" and Joshua had hands down the best customer service. They made our stay memorable, and because of them we will be back to stay at The Nines. They were personable, accommodating, and made the best lemon drops we've ever had!

The only negative I have for the hotel is the room. The bed wasn't the most comfortable and the lighting was very dark. Otherwise, it was a beautiful room!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Crescent City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This lovely boutique hotel in downtown Portland is our favorite when we stay in the city. We stayed on the club level and had total access to this superb and relaxing room. Food and drinks aplenty, we utilized it each afternoon and one evening after a local theatre production. The staff was friendly and cordial and so knowledgeable about the area. We got great restaurant suggestions, directions to get to our various destinations, and reservations when needed. We were recognized as Gold Preferred Starwood members, which we always appreciate. And, those heavenly beds were the best. We will definitely return! Try to room on the club level and utilize it! Our room was too tiny, however.

Room Tip: Stay on the club level......request a bit larger room......ours was too cozy.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The hotel is a very pleasant boutique style hotel in downtown Portland. The rooms are very nice and feature the traditional Heavenly Beds and trendy decor. With that being said, I would rate this a 4 or 4.5 star on the property alone.

Now, let's get to the staff. Other than Jeff Billon and Kory Forshaw, I found the staff incredibly rude and unwilling to go one inch out of there way to ensure a memorable experience. At no point was I recognized for being an Executive Platinum member. The staff at the Departure lounge informed me that I was at a MARRIOTT PROPERTY and made me wait to enter the lounge as they "do not recognize Starwood guests". I was also treated like a 12 year old child when asked to remove my hat even after explaining it was covering up some bandages from a recent car accident. It was a gentleman who appeared to be a bouncer and a stuck up blond, but did not catch their names.

The billing also didn't make a lot of sense and I'm still waiting after 2 days for the deposits and charges to be straightened out. This was my 62nd night of the year at a Starwood property and probably one of the least enjoyable.

I requested a late check-out of 4pm, yet the maids kept knocking on the door trying to clean. It might be a good idea to implement a program that informs the housekeeping staff of late check-outs like every other Starwood property.

While we enjoyed our stay in Portland, the hotel did nothing remarkable or memorable regarding the experience.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The location of this hotel one of the top highlights as it is smack in the middle of Portland and easy walking distance to many shops, restaurants, and other sites. The hotel itself is quite nice (think of a W that is a little more upscale) but don't expect service like The Ritz or 4 Seasons. We were fortunate to get a corner room (this was a family trip, so 3 kids were in tow), which was extremely spacious and provided some great views of the city. I would have to agree with some of the other reviews that the rooms are not well insulated, so hallway and adjacent room noise can be a factor but it didn't really bother us.
The main lobby/lounge area is really quite nice, providing some secluded areas to relax or get some work done. The Urban Farmer restaurant is top notch, providing a much richer dining experience than expected at a hotel. . .if you only eat one meal there, I highly recommend hitting it for breakfast. The bar in the restaurant is well stocked, with much more beyond your average selection of liquors. . .it also seemed to be a "jumping off" point for the evening's activities and was pretty packed on both Friday and Saturday nights.
Would definitely stay here again and would recommend it for those seeking a luxury hotel in Portland.

Room Tip: See if you can get upgraded to a corner room. . .very spacious and great views.
Green Features: Offers green options for bedding and towels; utilizes water saving faucets and toilets; definitely on the higher end of environmentally friendly hotels.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland? Share your experiences!