“Awesome Hotel great staff and great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #11 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Livingston
“Awesome Hotel great staff and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

One of the better hotels I've stayed at. The restaurant departures on the top of the building was fantastic and staying on the concierge floor at hotel they were able to make me a reservation from my room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. This hotel far excuse my expectations when I originally arrived. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay in the Portland Oregon area. I'd Like to once again thank the staff for a great visit to their hotel

Stayed July 2014
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, Portland, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Jetsjtl,

Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property! We are pleased to hear we were able to exceed your expectations! We value your feedback and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Marc.Adrar@theNines.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
st paul mn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I very much like Starwood hotels and am a Gold Preferred member. I have to say I was excited to use points to stay at The Nines while in Portland but was disappointed in the actual experience. The Nines is more like a W than a Westin. It is very stylish and hip in that ice cool way, and I prefer things modern but a bit more cozy. Every guest it seemed was in their twenties ( where do they get their money?) and I could tell this is a happening place. The rooftop bar was too crowded to get into even at 5pm on a Saturday and the nightclub seemed to be drawing all sorts of people in and out all weekend which created a lot of somewhat stumbling \partiers in the elevators and in the hall outside our room, I guess it just wasn't my style of hotel . But mostly I felt shortchanged with the room I got -it was very very small with an interior view and I thought it was uncomfortable and claustrophobic for two people with no room for even a chair. I expected more space in a Starwood luxury brand hotel even if it was only the standard room. I couldn't get an upgrade as a gold member so that was disappointing too and we were stuck. with what we had. The bathroom was decent.and the staff of the hotel were all nice enough. I just would never go back --there are a lot of very great boutique type hotels in Portland which are a better fit. Sometimes you just pick wrong. If you prefer super trendy and are super hip you'll find this fun.

Room Tip: avoid the standard rooms with interior views of the atrium if you can
Green Features: Indeed they make a good effort Indeed they make a good effort
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear loveslife,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations. We do have two of the most popular restaurants in the city so we do have a very vibrant energy. Again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we hope to welcome you again in the future to redeem your current expectations.

Winnemucca, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I love this hotel and the amazing people they staff it with! We just stayed over the weekend for my bachelorette party and it was perfect. The hotel is simply beautiful and its apparent they work incredibly hard to make every bit of your stay top notch and comfortable. Michael at the front desk went above and beyond my expectations in every way! He greeted everyone in my party personally and brought them up to our suite- which meant you had to do this about 8 different times since we all showed up separate. Once we had all arrived he had champagne sent up with a hand written note! From the reservation to the final moment we left- each part of our stay was handled with great care and attention to detail you wont find everywhere. I will never stay anywhere else in Portland.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear bri r,

Thank you for sharing your experience! Please visit us again soon. Cheers to the bachelorette!

Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We spent the weekend at the Nine Hotel and I must say the service was excellent. The gentlemen gave great restaurants recommendations that were mostly within walking distance and were more than willing to help us with anything that we needed. We had a few appetizers and a breakfast at the Nine hotel and they were excellent too! The rooms were a bit small, the water pressure wasn't that great either, but we spent most of the time outside seeing Portland.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Marci5,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your adventure through Portland’s living room and we will hope to welcome you again during your next trip to Portland.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I was there with my wife, niece, and young daughter. We had a nice suite with a separate room so she could go to bed early while we watched TV, and the room was perfect. The bathroom was huge, the beds comfortable, and the living area well laid out. I expect a lot from Starwoods, and they met or exceeded all of my expectations. All of the staff went out of their way to make our stay great, and along with being competent they were extremely courteous.

The restaurant, can't remember the name, was excellent. Food was good, service was great, and it was of a much higher quality than you expect at a hotel. I've never ordered Wagyu at a hotel before and this was excellent. Highlight of our trip. They were also great about giving us our deserts to take upstairs to our room since the little one had enough of being at the restaurant.

The location is great for everything there is to do in Portland, and you're right next to the light-rail if you want to go further out.

It's not a value property, but in this case, you get what you pay for, and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Make sure to avoid getting an accessible room unless you nee done because the bathtub is smaller.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Charli125,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased to learn that we were able to surpass your expectations and we appreciate your acknowledgement of the personalized service in which you received. It will be my pleasure to share your compliments with the team and we will hope to welcome you again for your next escape in our City of Roses. Please let me know if I may assist in any future travels.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I compare the Luxury Collection to the likes of Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc... however I best I should not do that anymore. I do not find the Luxury Collection hotels in the States to be of the same caliber in the luxury industry as the aforementioned. First the valet service is insanely expensive, @ $49/ngt. If you drive an eco-friendly car then the rate drops to $19/ngt. It takes the valet reps. over 15 mins. just to get your car so beware of this time. The front desk is located on the 8th floor and the decor of the hotel is actually pretty cool. The Urban Farmer restaurant is no big deal so eat somewhere else. The club floor on the 12th floor was nothing major. Save your money and do not get a room on the club floor. The snacks and drinks are adequate however I have had better at other lounges like the Ritz Carlton Club Levels. The service in the club lounge was excellent for the exception of one staff member at breakfast. The rooms were spacious however yet again as a SPG Gold member, no upgrades to be found. I have never been upgraded using my SPG Gold card. Not sure why I still hold on to this card. To be honest I actually do not stay anymore at any Starwood property however in Portland it's the only luxury hotel. No pool facilities which was a bummer for my kids. the fitness room had old style machines not the high tech ones that I have been accustomed to in my other hotel stays. If in the area again, I would choose this hotel until another luxury hotel comes into the area. I must mention that the sleep quality of the bedding was exceptional.

Room Tip: corner rooms are the best!!!! large and spacious!
Green Features: eco-friendly car gets you a cheaper rate for valet parking. Best do that because you do not want to pay $49.day for valet in a city where parking is not at a premium like in other cities.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
MarcAdrar, Assistant General Manager at The Nines, Portland, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear FirstClassLuxury001,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. As disappointing as it is to hear, we view this as an opportunity to improve the operations of our property. We hope to welcome you again in the future to redeem your current expectations.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I stayed at the Nines to attend a conference on water that was held in Portland. Immediately noticeable about the Nines is its location - just about in the middle of downtown Portland, across from Pioneer Square. This area is crowded with people during the day and in the evening - and provides access by walking or the omnipresent above ground subway to almost any part of the city. Pioneer square has a fabulous farmer's market on most days of the week and while we were there had a rock concert and also an outdoor huge screen for the World Cup. The hotel itself starts six stories up, above the Macy's. The rooms are small but display a hip luxury, and I liked the small office nook in the room I was assigned. I only had breakfast at the hotel, and the oatmeal is very creamy and delicious. The gym is also quite good. I am usually wary of hotels constructed with a huge interior atrium - because the sound can be so loud to rooms that over look it. I was on the atrium on a busy weekend, and I do not think I ever heard a sound. I did walk and sampled the very, very good locally sourced food at nearby restaurants - but am surprised by how many homeless people, young people included, seem to be on every street corner. Portland is fun though, and a quick trip up the River for a tubing ride was easy and wonderful.

Room Tip: Rooms are small - so do not expect to have any extra space - there is only really room for a couple...
Green Features: Portland is known for its green sensibilities - and this hotel lives up to that standard. Very nicely done.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear geonat1,

Thank you for posting your 5 star review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Portland experience overall and we hope to welcome you again in the future whether it's business or pleasure.

Marc.Adrar@theNines.com

Been to The Nines, Portland? Share your experiences!