“Off to a rocky start.” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“Off to a rocky start.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked a stay this weekend at The Nines for our anniversary. We booked on points, and after we had booked she saw photos of the continental breakfast buffet on the club level, and had to have it. So I called the front desk and asked if it was possible to pay to upgrade to the Club Level. The agent said it was no problem, but as I had literally just booked through another site it might take a day or so for my reservation to show up. He helpfully offered to keep an eye out for my reservation, and when it showed up he would put a note on my file with the upgrade. All i needed to do was call back in a day or two.

I called back 2 days later, only to find that there were no notes on my file. I explained what I was looking to do, and what the previous agent had said. Three times on hold later, I was finally told there were no upgraded rooms available on the middle day of our 3 day stay. So unfortunately "there is nothing I can do".But they would send a bottle of champagne up. As much as we appreciated the gesture, neither of us really likes champagne all that much. I then asked if it would be possible that we keep our current room, pay for the upgrade, and use the Club Level Amenities which I thought was a reasonable request given that the original agent had told us that it "wouldn't be a problem"? The manager now on the phone said "No, those are only for on floor guests or Platinum Members..."

It really just as though they felt I was asking for something unreasonable, and the whole process has definitely left a bad taste in our mouth leading into our anniversary weekend trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable feedback. I would like to apologize on behalf of the team that we did not deliver a more pleasant experience as the service you received is not our standard at the Nines and we will learn from the opportunity. We hope that you were still able to enjoy the weekend and please feel free to contact me directly should you choose to return in the future as we hope to welcome you again in order to regain your confidence in us.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Very good location if you have to be in downtown Portland, just accross Pioneer Square and Pioneer Place Mall. Expensive but worth. Try to get a cheaper corporate rate!! Very good restaurant. Comfortable rooms.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property. It would be my pleasure to welcome you again during your next visit to Portland!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have been staying here since they opened for business and have not stayed with my family. We just stayed and while I have always thought they are a good hotel, I was blown away by how great they accommodating us all and made our first road trip with 14 month old easy. We all had a great time and the felt at home. Bathrooms are large and perfect for our sons baths and so clean your could eat off the floors. Carpets are clean and do not make you hesitate to think what has happened before you arrived... The Nines staff and service will always have my business in Portland.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and for choosing the Nines as your preferred hotel in Portland! We are pleased we are able to provide an exceptional experience time and time again and we look forward to welcoming you back for years to come.

Chapel Hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Nines surpassed all expectations. The room was stylish without being fussy and calming rather than disjointed. Excellent, friendly staff. Great location for everything downtown - about $25 for a cab each way to the Alberta district, but we walked everywhere else. Lounge was well stocked and had an excellent food selection as well. Can't wait to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to be our guest. I am pleased to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations! Please visit again soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I've known of The Nines (part of Starwood's Luxury Collection) since it opened & finally had an opportunity to stay there for a 1-night business trip. Even now, I'm still thinking about how gorgeous my guest room was & the overall experience, and how I wish i'd extended my trip to have leisure time at the hotel too! I've been fortunate to stay in many impressive 4-star hotels and this was absolutely my favorite décor - crisp clean white linens, with beautiful aqua sofa & other furnishings, elegant furniture and overall a feel of modern luxury with a nod to classic Hollywood glamor. Not only did it look good, but the sofa & bed were the most comfortable I've ever experienced in a hotel - a wonderful surprise. I'm still day-dreaming about when I can return for a longer trip! Other highlights: warm, friendly, professional service; ideal central location for business and exploring the city's many highlights (easy transport options to/from airport, 10-min walk to Pearl District, famous downtown food trucks 2 blks away, good resto's inside at hotel & within blocks, weekend farmers' market, etc)

Room Tip: my room was 1003 - an upgraded corner room with 2 Queen beds, so I would guess any 03 room has simil...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your compliments of the Nines. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again for your next escape in the city.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel is stylish and modern. Due to its location everything is within walking distance.
The staff was very helpful with recommendations, directions and advice.

The rooms was great! Extremely comfy, no issues at all. More than I expected.

I will stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back during your next visit to Portland!

Phoenix, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Location is perfect for Downtown! We walked all over and enjoyed it. Valet service was excellent! Very nice and helpful! Check in was easy and helpful too. The rooms look just like the pictures everyone else has posted but getting a bit worn.... Chipped paint on the corners paint smudges where they have tried to do touch-ups. Turn down service was nice. We didn't try the restaurant. It has the shell to be amazing but just seems to lack something for a 5 Star.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during this visit and we hope for the opportunity to welcome you again in the future to redeem your current expectations.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Been to The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland? Share your experiences!