“Love the Nines” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Sacramento, California
“Love the Nines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Generally I can find excellent rates through one of the companies I work with, and if I can, I would always choose to make The Nines my hotel of choice in Portland. The rooms are a little different, and you never know quite what you are going to get walking through the door! I like this! I have always had excellent customer service and have very much enjoyed the decor, the food, and the location. I do think the room prices can be a little steep if you cannot find a deal, but The Nines is most certainly worth experiencing if you are in Portland for business or pleasure!

Green Features: The Nines make every effort to be environmentally friendly, starting with the SPG policy of choosing to have your room cleaned or not for extra points, down to changing their give-away products to a make that is much more friendly on the environment!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for choosing to be our repeat guest. In hopes to be your preferred hotel in Portland I am pleased to learn that our team continues to provide you with exceptional service and that you enjoy the property. We look forward to welcoming you again!

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Blackfoot, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We like to stay at the Nine's when we visit our kids in portland. The rooms are large and very comfortable. The service is always excellent . Everything is very clean. I love the turn down service and the little treat on the bed and the bottled water is a nice extra touch at no extra charge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for making us your home away from and thank you for sharing your compliments. It will be our pleasure to welcome you for years to come.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Immaculate, stylish rooms. Very polite staff. Great additions like turndown service with bottled water. Perfect location to walk to the pearl district for dinner and Sat market. Loved the views from the rooftop bar. Wish we had stayed longer!

• Stayed September 2013
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your compliments. We appreciate your acknowledgement of our personalized service and we hope to welcome you again on your next visit to our City of Roses.

Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

While the rooms and the hotel itself is pretty the customer service is certainly lacking the 5-star service. I had booked two Jr Suites for my wedding that weekend (Friday night through Monday). First they had to put me in a temporary room (at my request rather than the hotel's) because the room I had booked had a guest in it that wasn't scheduled to check out until 4-5pm (what?!). I had to tell the front desk that I needed a room to get ready in for my wedding rehearsal that started at 5:30pm! No apologies or complimentary favors were given to me for THEIR mistake. Then my brother in law had paid to get my and my husband's room upgraded so that we could have a nicer suite for our WEDDING night but we couldn't since they had refused to move our things while we were at our wedding!!! So we were forced to keep our jr suite. My husband and I came back after our wedding to find the room NOT cleaned. I called that night to get it cleaned while we walk outside and came back 15 minutes later to find it still NOT cleaned. Their excuse was that we weren't there to answer the door. Since when do you have to be in your room to get your room cleaned?! And after that fiasco my front desk had the nerve to argue with me about it. One of the front desk managers (I think Chris) was awful. Needless to say our experience with The Nines personnel (at least the front desk) was beyond horrible. I would never book this hotel again. This is a joke for a 5-star hotel. I will give the valet (Brent) and bellman 5-stars! They were the only ones that were very helpful throughout the 3 days we stayed there. I would NOT recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience. I assure you that the service you received is not our standard at the Nines and I am deeply sorry. Please allow me the opportunity to further discuss your comments by reaching me via email at Fred.Kleisner@thenines.com. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to redeem your current expectation on any future trips.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Nines is a hotel built a-top the old Meier and Frank building adjacent to the popular Pioneer Courthouse square in downtown Portland. Centrally located and close to the Willamette River, the Nines Hotel maintains high quality service, excellent dining and lounges and classy rooms. With silvers, teals and crystals this Hotel experience is like going back in time to the Hurrell Hollywood days of pin-up girls and high fashion. I loved it! Valet parking, two restaurants including a rooftop lounge and eating experience that's not to be missed. The rooms are cozy but elegant with all the top features of the best of Starwood properties. The Nines also has conference rooms and space for business meetings. Our executive group from around the country absolutely loved this experience. The Nines and its staff outdid itself on making us all feel welcome!

Green Features: Portland is known for its "green" principles. The Nines is no different.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks on your red carpet comments! I truly appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience and for recommending our property. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We expected a lot since this is the only 5 star listed hotel in Portland. We wish we would have stayed at a 4 star place. The rooms are nice - comfortable beds, nice decor and spacious. However, we were kept up past midnight both nights of our stay because of the loud restaurant that sits in an atrium type area right below a number of rooms. I complained about the noise after the first night, but the front desk people said that there was nothing they could do. If you do stay here, make sure you request a room that faces out to the street!

Also, beware that they charge $50/night for parking. They do offer free internet (but you have to pay extra for fast speed internet).

Bottom line - way overpriced for what it is. I will not stay here again and would only recommend it to friends if they were able to get a room for less than $120/night.

Room Tip: Don't stay above the restaurant! SO LOUD!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We do have two of the most vibrant restaurants on property and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on any future trips. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss further.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Great hotel. Location is superb

Staff are very friendly

Rooms are incredibly clean and very well appointed.

I have stayed here at least 10 times. The only thing I don't like is the overnight valet charge of $39, feels a bit pricey for what it is.

The br on the 15th floor is very cool with excellent views.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to learn that you continue to enjoy your experience time and time again. We look forward to welcoming you for years to come.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Been to The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland? Share your experiences!