“Tries too hard to be hip” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #11 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
New York, New York, United States
“Tries too hard to be hip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

A nice hotel in downtown Portland. Stayed here for my friend’s wedding. Centrally located. Staff is friendly, but service is rather average. Doesn’t feel personal at all. No real attempt to make you feel welcome or to go out of their way to ensure you have a pleasant stay. They forgot a wake up call.

Rooms are clean and the design and décor has character. They were aiming for a modern opulence look – which I personally feel is tough to pull off without seeming chintzy. Frankly, I felt it was a little chintzy. I think the hotel tries too hard to be “hip” and cool. Attracts a somewhat snobbish, [--]crowd at night which gets kind of annoying.

Nonetheless, it was a comfortable stay and I don’t necessarily regret choosing to stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your commentaries regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize that our property fell short of your expectations during this visit. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to redeem your current expectations.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
los angeles, california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights last week.
Pros:
1. Conveniently located in downtown, across the street from TriMet stop.
2. Rooms are nicely appointed, robes, slippers, plentiful toiletries in wall-mounted bottles.
3. Club lounge with excellent service, beer/wine all day, very good breakfast/hors d'oevres/dessert.

Cons:
1. Sub-par customer service. The greatest problem was the poor attitude of the front desk staff. Several other reviewers mentioned this and I assumed it was not true as the greatest benefit of staying at a luxury hotel is the service. I waited in line to check in and when the front desk man was available, he tapped on the counter with his hand twice to get my attention and summon me over without a smile. I was very taken aback to be motioned in this manner as this would be suitable for an animal, not a person. He proceeded to be somewhat snide, appeared unhappy, and was not helpful.
We had separate reservations for 1 night and 2 nights because of room availability. He did not facilitate the transfer of rooms and said that I would have to call down to the front desk the following morning and there was nothing else that could be done. The content of his reply was okay, it was the curt tone and cold demeanor that were off-putting.
When I called the front desk the following morning, the woman who answered the phone sounded quite casual/unprofessional and also curt.
The front desk staff needs training on proper customer service and professional behavior. This is basic hotel training.

2. Poor communication between staff:
Our reservation was under my name. Prior to our arrival, I received an email from the concierge requesting our arrival information. I responded and also gave my husband's name. For some reason, this was not transferred to our second reservation for the second and third nights and the room was appointed for 1 person and when my husband went to the front desk with a request, he was met with suspicion as his name was not officially on the reservation.

3. Children in the club lounge: there were many families in the club lounge with children running around and shouting. There were also children around 8-10 years old playing on the computer without their parents around. Something simple such as a policy requiring children under the age of 14 to be accompanied by an adult could be somewhat effective.

4. Some of the club level rooms are very small. The 2-Queen bed room we had for the first night was quite spacious. The King bed room we moved to seemed approximately 200 sq feet smaller and was a little cramped.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us and I apologize that our property fell short of your expectations during this visit. Follow through should be automatic and I apologize that we failed to meet this standard. I have shared your comments with the team for immediate coaching and improvement. Please feel free to contact me directly via the email below should you like to discuss this further. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you again in the future to redeem your current expectation.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is part of the Starwood chain but one of their modern "boutique" looks. It's located in the former Meier and Frank Department store and they have had to work round the limitations of the historic building (so that the lobby is oddly on the 8th floor). The design is ultra hip and trendy with interesting colour schemes and there is a wonderful open atrium space where the bar and main restaurant are located. We were on the club foor and they have an excellent lounge which serves complimentary breakfast and evening hors d'ouvres although did get noisy and busy at times. The location is great but for me the design was a bit too much - slightly over-designed and not for those who prefer their hotels to be traditional.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the historic aspects of the Meier & Frank building as we take great pride in our conservancy effort; however, I do apologize if our modern design ethos overwhelmed. We hope that this will not stop you from returning to the Nines again in the future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you again.

Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Getting to The Nines was difficult. There are only 5 car spaces in front of the hotel. If you can't be lucky enough to find one on your first pass, you can either stop and block traffic or attempt to circle around the block. But you can't turn right onto the next block because Portland has designated the closest 2 lanes on this one way street as "Bus Only." Very confusing for the first-time driver in downtown Portland.
Once parked at the hotel, a valet will take your car to their part of the Metropolitan Garage on Salmon Street 4 blocks south. The valets have 24 hour access if you were to need your car between the hours of 2 AM until 6:30 AM weekdays or 2 AM until 9AM weekends when the garage is locked. The hotel charges you $39 per day to park. You can park it yourself in the same garage which is locked at night, for $16 per weekday and $8 per day weekend. But you can't access your car after 2 AM. Expect 15 to 20 minutes for valets to retrieve your car.
The first 5 floors of the hotel building are occupied by Macy's and offices. The check-in desk is on the 8th floor. When you walk into the desk area, you will notice female mannequins (no clothing) in about half a dozen locations. My wife joked that this was where Macy's must keep their extra Mannequins. No male mannequins for her enjoyment, either. The staff told us that they were commissioned art.
On the same floor, There is the Urban Farmer restaurant. The food was OK and the beverage selection was good. The lounge has a unique set of cubicles where your party can gather for privacy in comfortable chairs and couches. Service was a little slow out there.
Departures is a lounge and Asian restaurant on the 15th floor. Very trendy setting with rooftop seating. We didn't eat there.
The rooms on the Alder Street side of the hotel have a view of a building that is about 65 feet away. To the middle of that hallway on that side of the hotel is 106 steps to the elevator, to clarify the distance.
Room 1029. Our bedroom was 12' by 15'. The bathroom had a shower but no tub. The room and bath were very clean, but there was a strong mildew/mold odor coming up from the shower drain. I think they tried to correct it by pouring bleach down the drain, but it was back soon after. I left management a note about a possible solution. The windows have curtains permanently mounted to the ceiling with an 18 inch gap. There is a window seat sofa in front of the windows. To get to a window to look out, there is a 1 foot gap between the window seat and the night stand. Too much furniture in a small space. The bed was very comfortable
The staff is a bright spot, especially Steve, who checked us in and took time to show us where things were on the city map. He's definitely a people-person. Housekeeping staff are very friendly, too. Besides the usual maid service, you can expect a person to knock and ask if your minibar needs restocked, and an evening turndown service.
This is an excellent location within walking distance to many attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Pioneer Court House
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at the Nines. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your experience overall, however, I am disappointed that we did not meet or exceed your expectations. We appreciate the positive as well as the constructive reactions to your stay; it truly helps to improve the operations of our property and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

MEXICO CITY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very centrally located in downtown with a very happenning roof restaurant and bar great views and awsome food and drink. The rooms are very large and the beds delicious. The concierges are extremely knowledgable and if you send them an e mail before you arrive they will arrange it all for you. Breakfast seemed a bit claustrophobic as it is served in the covered atrium/lobby but is also very very good portions are huge so be aware smoothies are perfect. Valet parking is four times more expensive than neighboring parking garages but very convenient. All in all I would stay there again gladly!

• Stayed July 2013
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. We are pleased to hear we were able to provide an exceptional experience. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed at hotel on a recent business trip to the area and was there for 2 weeks (split as I was somewhere else over the wkd). I'm originally from Portland and had been to the Departure bar a few times but have been overseas for 2 years. I have over 300 nights with Starwood properties and this was the one of the most disappointing properties, especially considering it has the "Luxury tag". As I checked in first I made sure my room was what I booked and was placed in the disabled room. I had just flown from HK worked a full day and was frustrated with the room. The hotel reception first mentioned they couldn't move me since nothing was available, but after 10 minutes of explaining my frustration a room opened up. Why do we go through this "song and dance" and a room opens up right next door, wouldn't have been easier just to move me in the first place?

Second, the parking situation is just plain awful. After coming back from work I couldn't even park. I had to continue to drive around the block for 20 minutes since the valet was full. This happened each day as it backed up and people going to the restaurant also used valet. The hotel should be proactive and let guests know about the parking situation and provide other options. Also, you have to call 30 minutes ahead of time in the morning, and even one morning I had to wait 45 mins to retrieve my car. I would always leave by 715am, but it is a little ridiculous to have to wait like this and to plan ahead to get a car this far in advance.

Finally, when checking out early, I reviewed my bill and noticed I had been billed for multiple day parkings on the same day. I had to explain to the reception this makes no sense, if I am paying for 24 hours, why am I billed twice on the same dates. He then explained to tell me I must have let some one use my room rate for a day or two. So parking was 40$ and now I'm paying 80$ a day for others. I explained this is ridiculous and they need to check their records and makes actually no sense, and I would remember okn'g this. Second, if it's that easy to do parking can't anyone just give a room number and someone else be billed??? We continued the song and dance for 20 minutes and I was forced to wait on valet to retrieve all the records. Of course it was a mistake and I never accepted anyone else, but the fact this is a luxury hotel and the front told me I was allowing others to charge my room is ridiculous.

The one positive piece of service was from the front office manager Chris, who helped when I wasn't at the hotel. On my first bill I had signed up for the "green" room, allowing extra points. However, they didn't put the points on my account. I called the hotel and Chris emailed me and kept communication open and quickly credited the points to my account.

I have stayed at the Westin in Portland before and would recommend this option for those wanting Starwood points staying downtown. The service level was poor. It's trendy and different, but still having to argue w/ front desk over simple things like a handicap room and obvious billing errors ruined the experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor rooms, smaller then the mid level rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. I assure you that the service you received is not our standard at the Nines. Please allow me the opportunity to further discuss your comments by reaching me via email at Fred.Kleisner@thenines.com. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations on any future trips.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our family had a room on the Club floor. The hotel is beautiful, an engineering marvel! A central courtyard was created between floors 8 to 15. (Macy's occupies main floor to 5 th). Columns were added, the centre portion of the floors removed, the roof removed and replaced with a gorgeous glass atrium. The outside facade dating over a hundred years was retained.

The rooms are a step up from the Westin, however, they are smaller. Also, the washrooms only have a shower, no tub and not the heavenly shower. Decor was innovative.

The club lounge is excellent. It is far superior to the Sheraton club lounge. Drinks are free flowing and free. Appetizers and desserts were restaurant quality tapas. Don't expend the standard fare of deep fried frozen appetizers. We had jumbo prawns with passion fruit sauce, apple summer rolls, artichoke, cracked wheat and almond salad, among other items.

Parking and drop off are terrible. There is no room in front of the hotel to stop, unload and then take the car. The front of the hotel does not have a dedicated driveway and it is always busy. We had to circle around a couple of times before there was room to stop and unload.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the historic aspects of the Meier & Frank building as we take great pride in our conservancy efforts. Given our off-site parking location with the traffic ebb & flow the valet wait times will vary between five minutes and twenty minutes and I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. I must also ask that you accept my apologies for the lack of a bathtub in the room. We would be pleased to note a bathtub as a preference for future stays and will be sure to make your future trips just as memorable.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Been to The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland? Share your experiences!