“They made my stay in Portland wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 132 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California, USA
“They made my stay in Portland wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Rooms: gorgeous. Beds: heavenly. Location: in the middle of everything. Urban farmer food: Yum! But for me, what really set this apart was the service.

The staff here really goes above and beyond. The concierge emailed me before my stay to see if I needed anything, and I asked if they could deliver Voodoo doughnuts. They said sure, and I assumed that they had some delivery arrangement with the shop, or that Voodoo made deliveries. Imagine my surprise when I called them the afternoon of check-in and found that actually, the concierge was going to personally drive to Voodoo to pick up donuts for me!! They actually apologized that they couldn't do it in the afternoon right when I called, because the concierge picks up the donuts before work and couldn't leave his desk. Of course, this was entirely NOT their fault, it was mine for not communicating more clearly with them (because who ever thinks anyone would go so out of their way for you??). What an amazing group. They did end up delivering donuts the next morning.

Then, I went on a hike and cut my knee. I didn't ask for it, but one of the employees must have noticed when I got back that I had a nasty cut, and somehow knew what room I was in, and sent a bellboy over with a band-aid!! Seriously, I have never encountered such awesome hotel staff. They also delivered fruit and nuts to our hotel room and did all sorts of other things to anticipate our every desire.

Because of how well I was treated here, I will never consider staying anywhere else in Portland. They've earned my business for life.

Only one suggestion for improvement: the service at Urban Farmer was quite slow - our food took about an hour to arrive after we ordered, so don't come famished and be prepared to sit and enjoy the lovely atrium for awhile. It wouldn't have been a problem normally, but a few of us were rushing to catch a flight. The food was excellent - shaved steak eggs benedict were scrumptious.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, Portland, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for making us your home away from home and for providing such candid and thoughtful feedback. We are pleased we were able to provide an exceptional experience and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Portland.

1,360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Nines is a Ten

It is better than expected.
Spg recognition: excellent, automatic upgrade to a suite.
Room: superb
Location: great
Club: elegant, great deserts
Staff: impressive service.
So far I am impressed

Room Tip: Chic Place
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Please return to us soon! We look forward to it!

Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here with the hubby for our anniversary.
Super comfy bed, with chic décor and huge bathroom. The main lobby is fab for photo shoots!

Must check out the restaurants in the hotel:
Urban farmer - in the lobby: fantastic Bloody Mary's
Departure - rooftop: spendy but fantastic truffle fried rice

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, Portland, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for posting about your recent stay at the Nines. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your anniversary and our team provided you with an exceptional service throughout. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Not sure what the fuss is about with the Nines. Perhaps it was the high expectations I had from reading other reviews here or from the accolades the hotel received as best luxury hotel in Portland but I was not impressed. My husband and I took the first flight out of JFK to PDX and woke up at 4am to land at around 11am. We thought they would be able to accommodate us by checking us in early so we could rest and shower (we're both Platinum members) but no such luck. They held our luggage and told us they would call as soon as the room was ready. No call because they wrote the incorrect number down.

Once we got to our room, it was on the opposite side of the elevator. No big deal but just inconvenient when you just want to drop things off in your room or go up to the lounge for a soda. Our room was an interior room, which meant it faced the restaurant/bar area and did not afford a lot of privacy. The windows were good at muffling the noises but the music in the atrium was playing well into 11pm (we're still on east coast time so that's 2am) and kept my husband up.

It's not necessary to have a car in Portland but we rented one to go up to Columbia River Gorge and opted to not pay the $35/night parking charge. Instead, we parked at the nearby public garage (SMART garages are dispersed throughout downtown) for about $24 from Friday evening to Sunday morning.

To end on a positive note, the rooms were beautiful and Michael at the front desk did try to make things right for us. The location cannot be beat and the lounge served some pretty tasty breakfast items!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your recent experience. As a valued SPG Platinum member, we truly appreciate your loyalty in the brand and your feedback. I am sorry that we were unable to accommodate for an early arrival; however, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and that Michael was able to make up for the inconveniences . We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Portland.

Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Nines is in the center of downtown Portland on the top floors of a renovated department store. It is well maintained, the staff were friendly and professional, and the design--featuring sleek , well endowed manniquins in the lobby area, postmodern paintings, colorful carpets and beautifully designed hallways--is very attractive. The rooms are large by Portland standards, and some have excellent views. Our double-double was close to twice the size of rooms we have stayed in at other downtown Portland hotels, and was very well appointed. It was very quiet during the night, save the stray car horn or siren. The two negatives for us were the inability to open a window, and lack of a coffee maker. Fortunately, the ventilation is well designed, so we were able to avoid the stuffy feeling that we usually must deal with in other closed-up hotels. Onsite parking is also expensive--better to park in a nearby lot, or drive a hybrid, since hybrid cars get a 50% discount on valet parking. The hotel is serious about being "green."

The Nines lives up to its billing as a luxury hotel. It has two excellent restaurants and makes a great option for a weekend in Portland...or any other day of the week.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms with an atrium view.
Green Features: They appear to be quite commited to "green" practices, but they aren't obtrusive. We were somewhat surprised to find bottled water in the room...though ultimately we were grateful to have it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, Portland, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We are pleased to hear we were able to provide you with an exceptional experience. We will be happy to add the request of a coffee maker to your guest profile for all future reservations and hope for the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I really love Portland. I love its kooky characters and its hippy vibes. The Nines, however, is a nice departure from that. From the moment we checked in, the bellmen and the doormen were extremely knowledgeable about the city. They were also very honest, which I appreciate (it takes 15-20 minutes to get the car because they have to park it down the street so call ahead!) The hotel itself is beautiful, modern, and clean with just the right amount of decor. The food in the restaurant was absolutely amazing. The crispy breakfast potato is something I have dreams about. I also appreciate that you get what you pay for. The superior room, although stunning, is what you pay for. It is smaller and faces the inside of the hotel. If you want to face the city, then pay for it! The only small hiccup in the stay is that I didn't get service on my last night. I called housekeeping and scheduled service, and they arrived at my door a little early. I said I needed about 10 more minutes (this was about 8pm) and the turndown agent said "well you have the 'yes please' on your door," as if my "Can I have 10 more minutes please" was not good enough for her. For some reason, and I don't know why, her rudeness bothered me for the rest of the night but I think it was because I was frustrated with getting no service until 8:30pm. Truly, she was the only negative aspect of the trip and I would recommend it to anyone. It is the only hotel I will stay in in Portland.

Room Tip: If you want fresh air, you must book a deluxe or higher. Superior rooms face the inside of the hotel...
Green Features: Be very specific about the linens you want washed. They keep the used towels and linens in your room unless otherwise specified.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your compliments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and the service you were provided. My apologies for the untimeliness you encountered with housekeeping. Please know that we will learn from this opportunity and our associates will be coached appropriately. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again if your travel plans allow.

Rancho Mirage, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Rarely do I read a review prior to staying in a property. I value the opinions of my fellow travelers but I want to develop my own opinions as I travel. That said, our recent stay at The Nines was about a 4 1/2! To begin, the most knowledgeable members of the staff are the Bellmen who meet you in the street level lobby. Most of them have been at the hotel since opening day and they are well acquainted with the property and the area. Upon arrival in the eighth floor lobby there were two guests chatting with the staff who were obviously already checked in. After a leisurely stand of about 10 minutes the young lady behind the counter walked around and asked if I had been helped! I had only been standing there, bags in tow looking at her for 10 minutes. Being a Starwood property, there was no separate line or area for Starwood Gold check in and with only two clerks at the desk, neither was in any rush to pay attention to guests checking in. In making my reservation with Starwood, I had requested a one bedroom suite on the Club Level and "assumed" my confirmation from Starwood was indeed as I had requested. Without questioning any part of my reservation she prepared room keys and advised me of my floor assignment. When asked to confirm the room was indeed on the Club Level she clearly told me that I hadn't requested the Club Floor. After some discussion she called her Manager over who very curtly stated I was incorrect; my reservation was not for the Club Floor. He actually took my phone from me and "inspected" my email confirmation reciting every line and notation aloud to attempt to prove his point. After more discussion and his informing me that the Club Floor is a "pay to participate" floor he rendered me the privilege of Club Floor access, even though I didn't have it coming this one time as an accommodation! That was only after I told him I would simply downgrade my reservation to their cheapest rack rate room, which is incidentally $250++. Off to the room we go to await the Bellman and our bags who was timely, efficient and a very nice person who went over and above to make sure we were set up with ice and water and his name if we needed anything else. As an aside, if anyone at the desk had been wearing a name tag I would call them out in this review but possibly those name tags are still on order!
The room was elegant. Large and well appointed and quite comfortable until around 10;30 when we decided to settle in for the evening. Apparently, there is a "club/restaurant" on the floor above and until at least 3 in the morning it sounded like an army moving furniture overhead. The floors are, of course concrete, and the sound was unreal. At no time did anyone at the front desk make any reference to the possibility of this sort of disturbance...and this is a Starwood Luxury Collection property. After a restless evening we enjoyed a beautiful brunch at the Urban Farmer on the Lobby Level. I will also post a review for the restaurant. All said, Starwood should be ashamed of their front desk staff at this property.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room on the 14th floor unless you have earplugs.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, Portland, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for providing this candid feedback. I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel that you did not have a more pleasant experience. The service in which you received is not our standard at the Nines. Please contact me at your convenience as I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Been to The Nines, Portland? Share your experiences!