“Quirky hotel in Portland.” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 132 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Quirky hotel in Portland.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Nines recently, and had mixed reviews about the property. While the rooms were very nice and comfortable, the bathrooms were dark and not consistent with the decor of the rooms(outdated tub and strange layout).

But the staff were very nice and friendly, and their food was outstanding: Departures restaurant and Urban Farmer. Both were excellent in both food quality and service.

The Club level was satisfactory: Staff not over-friendly. And why wouldn't you serve Oregon Pinot Noir??

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the square.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, Portland, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. I am pleased your enjoyed your stay overall and I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. I have passed your comments along to my team and I hope that we can welcome you back and exceed your expectations in the future! Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss anything further.

1,335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just stayed there for a business meeting. The service was great, and the food at both the meeting events and the restaurant were quite good. The location is wonderful, with access to all of downtown. The rooftop bar is a do not miss - particularly on a night with no rain. The views are spectacular and the atmosphere is fun.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors that look into the atrium can be noisy with the restaurant/bar below. The roo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

4 of us stayed for a girls weekend in February. Room with 2 queen beds. The room was a great size. Short hall to walk in, which included the bar area and the bathroom is off of. 2 Sattee couches, desk, chairs and tables allowed the 4 of us to spread out.
The room was very clean and not worn at all. We had asked the housekeeper on the floor for more wine glasses and she had them to us in a flash.
With 3 bars and outside terraces, we could "bar hop" in our own hotel and catch late night happy hour. Food is great but pricey. Had dinner and breakfast at Urban Farmer. Breakfast needs a little help as far as timing and value. Most breakfast items are ala carte and if you order a side, incredible small, especially the hashbrowns.
I would recommend this hotel for a great night downtown in an upscale setting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great downtown location near Pioneer Square in a repurposed department store building. Clean and somewhat sparse decor. Very attentive and helpful staff. Did a great job handling our large family gathering. Everything you could expect at a Portland venue-- and even more.

Room Tip: Rooms w/ 2-Qs are much larger than the Ks
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stay with my husband for one night in our way to Seattle, the room was pretty but small if you compare with other hotel rooms for the same price, the hotel is in a good location, however the room was not very clean we were disappointed that the chairs & the lights were very dirty with a lot of dust, also we order room service & the food was terrible, very greasy and they forget to bring the bottle of wine we order, our experience with the food was so bad that next day we decided to have breakfast in another place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, Portland, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share feedback on your recent visit. I apologize that your experience was negatively impacted by housekeeping issues and in-room dining. I have followed up with our Director of Housekeeping and our food and beverage team to ensure that this type of experience is not repeated. I hope that we are able to welcome you back and exceed your expectations in the future.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We chose to stay at the Nines for my hubby's bday weekend in Portland and overall were glad that we did.

Pros:

Location: Right off the Max and next to all the major shopping areas. Walking distance to Pearl District, Powell's bookstore, etc.

Hip atmosphere, the 8th floor lobby area has a ton of sitting space and is great just to lounge around. The library room with the pool table was not crowded and we loved the ambiance.

Rooftop Deck: Depature Bar on top of the hotel was a perfect way to end the night with a great view of downtown Portland

Tiffany blue decor and damask patterns throughout the hotel-modern vintage vibe fully executed

Comfy bed and good water pressure

Utilizes Starwood Cash & Points

Everyone stays here-our SA from Tiffany's said that this is Portland's best hotel for the moment. We saw the entire MLS team from Montreal here on a Saturday night!

Cons:
Rooms are on the small size; the king sized bed is about the only thing that really fit in the room

No bathtubs or robes in the room

Velvet couches are in need of replacement-the first room we went to had a stained couch so we asked to be moved but the second room wasn't much better; they should definitely replace it with a fabric that hides stains better!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, Portland, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I truly appreciate this wonderful feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall along with the amenities we have to offer! There should have been a robe in your guest room and we do have some accommodations available with bathtubs; I have followed up with my team so that we may improve upon these issues for our future guests. We are also in the process of replacing the fabric on all of our settees. I am at your service if you would like to discuss anything further and we hope to welcome you back to the Nines soon.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have stayed at The Nines a few times now, and have no intention of returning. There are two great things about this hotel: location is wonderful (my main reason to stay) and the Urban Farmer restaurant. Urban Farmer has fantastic food, just great. Unfortunately, like the rest of the hotel, service can be spotty at best. On my most recent stay here, my room was just not clean. I found a pill on the carpet - a pill!!! There were scary stains on the couch, and our toilet didn't work properly. For dinner, we ordered room service, and while the food was great, our server seemed to want an additional tip - on top of the 20% and service charge they already tack on. At breakfast, my coffee was cold. Good thing the fabulous french toast made up for it. And this has now happened to me on both stays: the top floor is a nightclub/bar that gets really crowded, making a ton of noise and leaving it nearly impossible to get an elevator. On top of that, in the morning the elevator smelled heavily of body odor and booze - kind of like a dirty frat house. For the 'luxury' hotel this is supposed to be, it's really disappointing that I have had dirty rooms both times, problems with staff, and am inconvenienced by drunk partiers in the evening. I will have to find a new downtown Portland hotel for nights away.

Room Tip: NEVER get a room on the top floor - you will hear banging and stomping from the bar upstairs all nig...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, Portland, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
I appreciate your feedback and I apologize that you have not had more pleasant experiences during your time with us. I am pleased that you enjoy our location and Urban Farmer! I have passed your comments along to our team in hopes that we can improve upon the issues mentioned for our future guests. With two of the most popular restaurants in the city, we do have a very vibrant energy, especially on weekends. I hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future to exceed your current expectations. I am at your service if you would like to discuss anything further.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Been to The Nines, Portland? Share your experiences!