“Trying to Hard” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Trying to Hard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is a place where they clearyly tried REALLY hard to be "hip", and a few years will find themselves with a look that is "Out". So the rooms are nice, except if you find yourself on the 14th floor and under their nightclub on the 15th floor - I finally had to call and ask for ear plugs. No coffee or tea in the room - I found that very odd, and disappinting as was exhausted and didn't want to have to leave the room for a cup of coffee. No way to dock your iPhone 5. Columns are in odd areas and block natural light. Way too trendy feeling. I actually like the Urban Farmer resteraunt though, especially the common table.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you so much for providing this great feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and I apologize that the entire experience was not pleasant. We will soon have coffee makers in each guest room and this will not be an issue for any future stays you may have with us. I hope that we are able to welcome you back to exceed your expectations in the future, please contact me and I will be happy to assist with your reservations.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Good things about this hotel:
Very convenient, being located in the heart of the downtown retail district.
Polite and friendly staff.
Clean and spacious room.
What I did not like:
The ugly pillars outside our window that blocked the view.
Insufficient light for reading.
The so called "pan-Asian" food at the trendy restaurant on the top floor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I appreciate your comments and I am so pleased that you enjoyed our friendly staff, location and clean room! We do have a variety of room types and I would be happy to assist in finding an accommodation that better suites your needs for any future stays you may have with us. If you would like to discuss anything in further detail please feel free to contact me.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night; and while the rooms was a tad bit small, my room had a separate place to work with a desk which was really great since I had to do work until my meetings. The staff is beyond friendly and the room service quick and priced extremely well. They made me a smoothie at 4pm even though it was on the breakfast menu, really got service down here right. I will be back and recommend this place to everyone visiting Portland.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The company where I was interviewing booked me into this hotel, and from the reviews I read, I was expecting the irritating W experience -- nonchalantly obsessive about cool, understatement to the point where it becomes sadly obvious.

How delighted I was to find the staff, the decor, and the room just right ... a nice balance between cool and posh. The desk staff were super friendly and helpful, the room perfectly decorated and lighted, with plenty of power outlets (a pet peeve of mine as I travel with a lot of electronics).

DO NOT MISS:
- Drinks in the lobby at happy hour -- great place for people watching
- Drinks on the rooftop decks at the Departure Lounge
- THE BEST EVER ON THE PLANET EGGS BENEDICT at the Urban Farmer. Four words: House Made English Muffins.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the Nines for the Christmas Holiday. It's similar to a W Hotel but more personable. We made pre-arrangements for reservations at various places prior to our arrival, with the help of the Concierge. They were very clear and followed up with emails for all of our reservations. Apparently they even reconfirmed reservations prior to our arrival and found that one restaurant was 'closed for the season' despite taking our reservation. They went in to crisis mode and found a similar restaurant located very near the original place and booked for us. The apologized for the mistake, let us know what had happend as soon as we arrived and even wrote an apology note, delivered with a bottle of champagne. We were definitely impressed and certainly appreciated their thoughtfulness.

We loved the bar and restaurant at Urban Farmer. The bartenders were great and the food was outstanding. If you like cheese, go for the cheese appetizer. The whole presentation of options was very fun and unique. We had never seen anything like that before.

We both thought Departure (located on the top floor) had fantastic views of the city but it was a bit too trendy for us. I didn't really like the drink I was served there either. Definitely a place to check out but if you're not in to disco music and making the scene, you may simply enjoy the view as we did.

Everyone at the Nines was so kind and accomodating. The rooms are SILENT, which i love. No doors slamming shut, TV of neighbors blaring or other sounds that cut a good night sleep short. Highly recommended and I hope we get to go back some time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Staff is extremely friendly and dedicated, you almost have the impression that your thoughts are read. And where have you seen that the staff at the reception leaves the counter, gets around in order to hand you out the key and explain you how to get to your room. I was greatly impressed.

Rooms wonderfully decorated and amenities are replaced every day, even if you do not use them. Most impressive to me was the selected fine sculptures and arts which you find all over the hotel. This fresh style distinguishes them from the well known international chains.

The atmosphere in the restaurants and bars is on the one hand fancy and the other hand relaxed, comfortable and invites you stay. Same excellent service as well here.

For me, or business stay was a five star experience and I definitely plan to return for a private trip, as the location as well is one of its best in downtown

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed at The Nines in August for a night, the location itself is close to shopping and restaurants, and the river front which was nice. There were a few reasons we were less than impressed with the actual hotel itself. The first was the fact that the wifi would not work at the hotel. We chose the hotel as my bf needed the internet for work as it was a weekday and since it wouldn't work he had to go sit at starbucks to do his work that afternoon. We tried talking to the front desk to see if they could help with the internet and the solution they suggested was that we could call their provider to see why it wasn't working. Really? We should phone? Definitely not 5 star service there. Also our room had a strong urine odour, not sure how well the washroom was cleaned prior to our check-in. When checking out we let them know our concerns about the internet and the smell in the room and they comped the valet for us which was decent since we weren't expecting anything aside from wanting to provide some feedback.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments in regard to your recent stay. I apologize that you did not have a more pleasant experience during your time with us. The situation you have described is not the superior level of service our guests receive on a daily basis and I have followed up with my team so that we may improve upon the opportunities you mentioned. I am glad we were able to provide some compensation under the circumstances and I hope we are able to welcome you back in the future and exceed your current expectations. I am at your service if you would like to discuss anything further.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Been to The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland? Share your experiences!