“Cool Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Cool Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

great beds and workout room. Walls can be a bit thin but you get over it. VALET is a fortune but all other hotels are too. Location is right on Pioneer Sq so close to a lot of things. Hear the food is good but did not try. Pro basketball team was staying there too!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel is beautiful and in a great location, easy access to shopping, eating, etc. The rooms are very nice but the furniture is in need of a facelift. Anything upholstered in the rooms is really looking shabby. Overall, though, the room was ok.

IMPORTANT: If you've gotta have that coffee fix within a minute or two of your feet hitting the floor, this is NOT the hotel for you. There is no coffee maker in the room and the hotel coffee is so weak it's just not worth it. There are 2 Starbucks if you head right or left out the hotel entrance, though, and that's where my husband headed every morning.

Room Tip: I learned that some rooms have only the walk-in shower so if you love a good soak, ask for a room wi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay overall and I appreciate your comments. We are in the process of re-upholstering each settee and we do have coffee makers available upon request. I apologize that this was not communicated to your during you time with us. I will be happy to assist with any future stays, please feel free to contact me directly.

fred.kleisner@thenines.com
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Nines. Not only was it lively and fun, but it was very reasonably-priced and well-located for exploring Portland. The room had fun,quirky decor with touches of turquoise and a nice bathroom. We really liked the Bee Kind bath products that are all natural (I will have to find them online!). Most of all, we slept really well as the bed was supremely comfortable with beautiful bed linens, a comfortable mattress and great pillows. The Nines also has a lively lobby and bar and our friends ended up hanging out for a long time, chatting. The staff at the front desk were particularly nice and helpful. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Overall, I have to say that this is a fabulous hotel. I have read some of he recent reviews posted here and while I agree with some of the criticisms, I must say that The Nines is a fantastic hotel. I stayed on the 9th floor overlooking the atrium. I found that room quite comfortable once I turned down the temperature. The room was beautiully and tastefully decorated in a turquoise and brown theme. As others have said, the storage space is fine in the closet but the safe interferes slightly with the clothes hanging in the closet. The bed is super comfortable; like the heavenly bed found in the Westin, also in the Starwood family. The bathroom is great with a few comments: it's also beautifully done. A few minor things as others have said: the cheapy toilet paper seems strangely out of place in a classy joint like this. And, the lack of towel rack means you have to put your towel on the toilet seat when you take a shower or traipse across the floor to get a towel from under the counter when you're out of the shower. Oy vay. These are first-world problems, as they say. Overall I found the room quiet but the drapes do not do a great job of blocking the light from the atrium. A minor inconvenience but it's something they should address eventually. Definitely would recommend The Nines. I can't imagine people really being dissappointed here.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Issaquah, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Nines expecting a fabulous experience, based on all the wonderful reviews. We were both very, very disappointed. Our rather small room was on the 14th floor, overlooking the Atrium. I thought it would be very quiet up there, since it's the highest floor available with guest rooms. However, that was not the case. You can hear everyone partying at night. Then, very early the next morning there was someone pounding in the restaurant below, echoing up to the roof, and waking me. The bathroom off the bedroom is like an echo chamber, to the point of embarrassment. The toilet paper couldn't be any less expensive, it was so thin. The shampoo, conditioner, and lotion come in lined cardboard boxes rather than bottles. The sink is metallic and noisy when the water runs. In order to fill the sink for shaving and then release the plug to drain, you have to put your hand in the dirty water. Overall, poor design. After checking in and getting settled, we thought we'd go to the restaurant on the 15th floor for a drink and snack. There were around 5 guys standing around at the desk. We realized later that they all worked there. We thought we'd try to get a seat on the outdoor deck, with wonderful views of the city. It was full. So, we thought we'd check out the bar for a couple stools. The way that they have designed the bar is such that there are only 3 to 4 seats together. If a couple is sitting in the middle two, there are no two seats together. So, we went back to the front desk to ask them to seat us at a table. The person working the desk just stood there looking down. He never asked us if he could help us. After a minute or two, I told him we'd like a table. We were seated in a little alcove with obnoxious, somewhat loud music. We finally decided to just leave and go to another establishment. In the morning, we went down to the front desk for change for tips. I thought I'd poor myself a to-go cup of coffee. The carafe was pretty much empty - I got 1/4 cup or less of coffee. The woman at the front desk apologized to me, then said there wasn't another pot. (The restaurant is on the other side of the wall from where she was standing.) I'm not sure how The Nines has received such high reviews. I'm disappointed to have to say that we were not impressed at all and will not go back.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to provide this valuable feedback. I sincerely apologize that you did not have a more pleasant experience at the Nines and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com
Spokane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I am somewhat torn with wanting to give credit for the good points but having a difficult time with the problematic parts of this room. The room is one of the smallest in the hotel by the emergency exit map. The lights in the atrium keep the room light at night and the curtains do not block the light. The bed has a duvet only and lacked a sheet. I was either too warm with the cover or too cold with out a sheet. The bedroom is just big enough for a nice size king bed but the only place for luggage is either to unpack and put everything away in the closet or to take up the last of the open floor space by using the luggage rack located under the television. The luggage rack gets points for being a pretty sleek dark wood design, not a flimsy metal folding device. The desk chair takes up the last of the floor space if you have someone working at the desk, it blocks the walking path to the bathroom so I had to crawl over the end of the bed to move about. The hotel gets points for having real glass glassware, coffee cups and wine glasses with a corkscrew. There is a nice space for these items next to the closet but there is no coffee maker. The closet doors opened into the side of the bed so only one person may retrieve items at a time. There is a nice set of drawers and a safe in the closet but it limits the hanging space markedly. The turn down with slippers and a cute little brownie is a nice touch. The bath was actually more spacious but has very limited counter space. There really isn't space for 2 people with toiletry kits to use the space. The vanity stool is nice but if one person is using it, the other has no access to the sink. Being profoundly nearsighted, I love the lighted makeup mirror and ended up putting it on the shelf with the glassware and using it outside the bath. The paper containers of shampoo, ect were a good thought to ecological conservation but the paper is mushy on the bottom and the black coating comes off on your hands. It is also advisable to tear open the containers before your hands are wet as they get slippery. The shower gets points for a nice step in the corner, useful for shaving legs. However, there is no shower bar for your towel. The two pegs outside the shower hold the robe and hair dryer. The towels are located across the room under the sink so the door handle had to be the towel holder. The noise transmission from the hall to the room and in reverse can be an issue. The room is parallel to the hall where everyone has to turn to come into the floor from the elevator. The elevator is well soud proofed. My recommendation is this would be an adequate room for a single person who is not bothered by light while sleeping.

Room Tip: Choose 1157 if you are a single traveler.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I appreciate your valuable comments and I will follow up with my team on ways we can improve upon the space in our guest rooms. It is wonderful to hear that overall you had a wonderful stay with us! We are currently in the process of replacing our amenity packaging and I hope this will not be an issue for any future visits you may have with us. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss anything further and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com
Markham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Hoo-boy. Quite a high-class hotel at an excellent rate (with no state sales tax)! You know it's reasonable when poor ol' I can afford it for a whole week.

I don't think much needs to be said, really: the room was very well furnished and decorated and everything was clean. The TV was great and hosted a well-enjoyed episode of Shark Tank. There were two double beds, a long chaise and a side table with a stuffed chair, but I could have used a proper workstation. The bathroom was swanky and fully equipped with towels. This also happens to be one of those hotels that looks good between the front lobby and guest rooms.

Location-wise, The Nines is also excellent. It stands right at the intersection of the two most important light rail lines in the city that can take you (free!) to everywhere from Portland U to the Convention Centre/Arena, Saturday Market and Lloyd Mall. There's also a Macy's right downstairs and Courthouse Square across the street. Needless to say, the rooms had pretty great views.

I also visited the Urban Farmer steakhouse. It was in an indoor courtyard in the middle of the building that was overlooked by balconies and windows from rooms that faced the interior of the hotel, which was a little odd. Service was great but I felt the food was overpriced for what I got. Still, it discouraged me from trying out the Departures restaurant o the top floor.

Don't want to end on a sour note, so I want to emphasise that I had an excellent experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland? Share your experiences!