“Room 1157, tiny room, atrium view, good and bad” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Spokane
“Room 1157, tiny room, atrium view, good and bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I am somewhat torn with wanting to give credit for the good points but having a difficult time with the problematic parts of this room. The room is one of the smallest in the hotel by the emergency exit map. The lights in the atrium keep the room light at night and the curtains do not block the light. The bed has a duvet only and lacked a sheet. I was either too warm with the cover or too cold with out a sheet. The bedroom is just big enough for a nice size king bed but the only place for luggage is either to unpack and put everything away in the closet or to take up the last of the open floor space by using the luggage rack located under the television. The luggage rack gets points for being a pretty sleek dark wood design, not a flimsy metal folding device. The desk chair takes up the last of the floor space if you have someone working at the desk, it blocks the walking path to the bathroom so I had to crawl over the end of the bed to move about. The hotel gets points for having real glass glassware, coffee cups and wine glasses with a corkscrew. There is a nice space for these items next to the closet but there is no coffee maker. The closet doors opened into the side of the bed so only one person may retrieve items at a time. There is a nice set of drawers and a safe in the closet but it limits the hanging space markedly. The turn down with slippers and a cute little brownie is a nice touch. The bath was actually more spacious but has very limited counter space. There really isn't space for 2 people with toiletry kits to use the space. The vanity stool is nice but if one person is using it, the other has no access to the sink. Being profoundly nearsighted, I love the lighted makeup mirror and ended up putting it on the shelf with the glassware and using it outside the bath. The paper containers of shampoo, ect were a good thought to ecological conservation but the paper is mushy on the bottom and the black coating comes off on your hands. It is also advisable to tear open the containers before your hands are wet as they get slippery. The shower gets points for a nice step in the corner, useful for shaving legs. However, there is no shower bar for your towel. The two pegs outside the shower hold the robe and hair dryer. The towels are located across the room under the sink so the door handle had to be the towel holder. The noise transmission from the hall to the room and in reverse can be an issue. The room is parallel to the hall where everyone has to turn to come into the floor from the elevator. The elevator is well soud proofed. My recommendation is this would be an adequate room for a single person who is not bothered by light while sleeping.

Room Tip: Choose 1157 if you are a single traveler.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FredKleisner, General Manager at The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I appreciate your valuable comments and I will follow up with my team on ways we can improve upon the space in our guest rooms. It is wonderful to hear that overall you had a wonderful stay with us! We are currently in the process of replacing our amenity packaging and I hope this will not be an issue for any future visits you may have with us. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss anything further and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Fred.kleisner@thenines.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Markham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Hoo-boy. Quite a high-class hotel at an excellent rate (with no state sales tax)! You know it's reasonable when poor ol' I can afford it for a whole week.

I don't think much needs to be said, really: the room was very well furnished and decorated and everything was clean. The TV was great and hosted a well-enjoyed episode of Shark Tank. There were two double beds, a long chaise and a side table with a stuffed chair, but I could have used a proper workstation. The bathroom was swanky and fully equipped with towels. This also happens to be one of those hotels that looks good between the front lobby and guest rooms.

Location-wise, The Nines is also excellent. It stands right at the intersection of the two most important light rail lines in the city that can take you (free!) to everywhere from Portland U to the Convention Centre/Arena, Saturday Market and Lloyd Mall. There's also a Macy's right downstairs and Courthouse Square across the street. Needless to say, the rooms had pretty great views.

I also visited the Urban Farmer steakhouse. It was in an indoor courtyard in the middle of the building that was overlooked by balconies and windows from rooms that faced the interior of the hotel, which was a little odd. Service was great but I felt the food was overpriced for what I got. Still, it discouraged me from trying out the Departures restaurant o the top floor.

Don't want to end on a sour note, so I want to emphasise that I had an excellent experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

What's the scent used in the rooms and how can I get it? I asked and was told "Oasis" made by EcoLab - but no luck finding for sale online. Park in the decks for half the price of valet. Salmon Sushi in Departure was great along w/Steak & Eggs brunch in Urban Farmer.

• Stayed November 2012
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the great feedback. Oasis by Ecolab is correct; however this product is meant for industrial use only and is not available for households. I apologize for any confusion and we are happy to assist in finding a comparable product. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

A lot of hotels around the States could learn a thing or two from The Nines.

It's an absolutely beautiful hotel, from the lobby to the lovely Library Room to the rooms. And its location is perfect, within walking distance of everything you need. The staff were incredibly helpful, dealing with my lack of laptop power cord (even offering to charge my laptop overnight in the concierge office) and any issue I had, right to booking my cab to the airport.

The room itself was great, comfortable with a very nice desk to work at, and a fantastic spacious bathroom. But best of all was the complimentary WiFi!! Why can't all hotels do this? If you are paying $200-250 a night for a room, surely you don't need to charge another 15-20 bucks for WiFi. The Nines didn't, and it was such a pleasant relief.

The Nines also has lots of little nice touches, from the 'old school' chocolates (actually mini-muffins) left on the bed at night, to the free coffee at reception in the morning. With proper milk and everything! Awesome. Touches like that mean the world to me.

I would recommend a Club level room, as you have access to the Club Lounge on the 12th Floor. Here you can have coffee in the morning, or beer and wine in the evening, while snacking on all kinds of fancy hors d'oeuvres, Again, a lovely touch. You can't beat an open bar!!

My only tiny, tiny grievance was with their choice of bathroom amenities. The BeeKind amenities may have a wonderful environmental message, but the paper packaging fell apart in the shower and covered me in black ink. Not great.

But one of the friendliest and best hotels I have stayed in, in the States. Would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for this great feedback! I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We are currently in the process of replacing our amenity packaging so this will no longer be an issue for you or our future guests. I am at your service if I can be of further assistance.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had a most comfortable 11 nights stay in this hotel, located in the heart of Portland. You have everything in walking distance from the hotel and you have the MAX-train just outside the hotel, going directly to the airport, costing $1.00 for seniors and $2.40 for adults!

The rooms are of good size, modern decorated, excellent bathroom and beds really comfortable. Housekeeping are very good and very little noise from outside (hotel rooms starting at 6th floor) All the staff, from front desk to the bell boys was very friendly.
They have a nice casual restaurant for brekfast/dinner in the big atrium area, just behind the lobby and a fine Asian crossover restaurant at the top floor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Great, super-stylish hotel right in the centre of Portland. Front desk and valet parking staff were very friendly and efficient and we were impressed with the funky decor, especially in the reception and airy atrium lobby. Our 12th floor room was great too, with a very slightly restricted view across the city to the river and freeway; but excellent value for money since it included full service at the hotel's superb Club Lounge, offering free drinks (including champagne, wine etc), interesting and varied pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres and a good continental-style breakfast. All at no extra cost. Definitely recommended. It's probably a good idea to pre-request a city-view room (as we did), not one overlooking the atrium restaurant, which gets very noisy indeed in the evening. Departure restaurant on the top floor was also excellent, really buzzing on the Thursday night we there, and amazing value provided you avoid the Wagyu beef. The signature Departure Chicken Wings were out of this world, just as good as described by our maitre d. Fantastic views too, which must be even better on a sunny summer evening (rather than our cloudy October). We were were slightly less wowed by Urban Farmer, the atrium restaurant. Food was very good - massive and perfectly cooked steaks - but we were kept waiting more than half an hour for our 8.30 reservation, and service was a touch abrupt. All round, though, a fantastic hotel and thoroughly recommended if you're looking for quality and style.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Delta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My two friends and I headed down for a weekend of shopping and fun! We got The Nines by booking through Hotwire and it was amazing. Upon arrival we were quickly greeted by the valet that helped us with all our bags. The hotel is nicely located right beside Pioneer Square and was really easy to find. The bottom 6 floors of the building were the department store Macy's and the floor seven and up was the hotel. When we checked in they had us in the wrong room (one for two, not three) and the front desk person was quick to fix it and we ended up with a corner room on the seventh floor (room 722). The room was amazing and we were wowed by the decor! Our room was the furthest from the elevator which was nice and quiet. We arrive quite late and quickly settled in for a nights sleep. The next morning we asked the concierge for a recommendation for breakfast and she sent us to The Original. Amazing food and exactly what we asked for. Upon returning to the hotel after visiting the Saturday Market (a must if you are in Portland on the weekend) we ask for assistance with booking a reservation for dinner. It was one of my friends birthday and we wanted a fun night out. She recommended Ringside Fish House which was an excellent reservation. The hotel even bought us an appy for my friends birthday which was a really nice surprise. We then wanted to head out shopping... While we waited for them to bring our car I ask the valet for directions to the outlets that are east of Portland, he recommended that we head south to the Woodburn outlets and we were not disappointed!!! Once arriving at the outlets we realized that we would be late for dinner so I called the hotel to ask that they move our dinner reservation. They even confirmed back over text message that the reservation had been moved! When we got back from dinner we found that our room had been turned down and that they had ensured that they added an extra set of slippers and other amenities for the third person in our room. When we left after the second night it was pouring rain and the valets were so good about loading our car for us! All in all it was an amazing girls weekend and we would definitely stay there again. The room was super quiet, clean, the staff was amazing, and location, well you couldn't ask for more!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Nines, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Portland? Share your experiences!