“Very good hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 132 hotels in Portland
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Very good hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

After researching quite a few hotels and disappointing mix of reviews, we chose the Clarion Hotel-Airport because it had the Platinum Award rating, and also had someone stop by to check out the hotel. We were not disappointed in our week's stay. The rooms were clean, comfortable and amazingly quiet for being so close to the airport. Beds were extremely comfortable, little decorative touches with the towels that showed care about the room and comfort, and the staff was helpful and friendly. They have a small early kind of breakfast for early travelers and a later typical buffet breakfast with a lot of choices. The rooms have a nice view over the small lake. We will definitely stay there again sometime when we are in Portland.

Room Tip: upper floors are quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
lwnetstuff,

Thank you! I agree with you, it is wise to do your research before picking a place to stay. We take great pride in our Platinum Awards and the rewiews we get. The staff is dedicated to taking care of the people who choose to call the Clarion their home away from home. We look forward to your next visit.

Don

405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I only stayed here one night (flying out of Portland), but I thought this was a really good, comfortable room. Desk and TV were convenient to work at. Staff was great. Shuttle to airport great. Rooms were comfortable. Seldom sleep on the memory foam mattress (if that is what it was), but slept for a 8 hours and feel good. Breakfast was hot and diverse. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Stated in room 315. You can hear the planes on this side (but did not bother me).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Camcolo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Many guests do like the Tempur Pedic mattresses in our deluxe rooms. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again.

Don
San anselmo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Don't be misled by the title - overall, my family's stay at the Clarion was very pleasant. The beds were extremely comfortable, with two different pillow selections and a good, soft mattress. The TV had a large variety of channels with movies on demand. The staff was friendly, and breakfast was included from 6 - 9. Unfortunately, the breakfast was so dissapointing that I had to go out and buy an early lunch. The waffles were repulsive, and the only syrup available (not that a good syrup could've saved the waffle) was mrs butterworth. The orange juice was watered down, and when I opened the large, silver hot box that contained the eggs, I truly did a double take because i couldn't tell if i was looking at eggs or pineapples. Dried up and miscolored, the eggs were uneatable. Overall, this hotel is a great place to spend a night or two, especially if you're coming from the portland airport (5 minute drive). Just don't eat the pineapples. I mean eggs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Marinmamarocks

I wanted to thank you for your thurough evaluation of our breakfast. I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy the waffles. We have addressed the preperation of the eggs, and there should no longer be any confusion as to if you are eating eggs or pineapple.

Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is our usual airport hotel for our out of town trips. We booked the park and fly rate for the beginning of our trip and another room for our return a week later. On the first night, we had an A/C that was quite noisy. We switched from fan to cool and it was a bit better, but in the middle of the night it started clanking and then died altogether. We reported it in the morning on checkout and they apologized and gave me an extra 1000 points on our Choice Privileges account. When we returned we got the best room we've ever had there, on the 4th floor with a very quiet A/C and got a wonderful full night's sleep.
This is by no means an upscale hotel, but we've always found it ideal for our needs. The rooms have nice views over a lake and the breakfast is the normal fare for such hotels, which is good enough.
What i did notice was that the hotel was in the process of upgrading a lot of the room amenities. New bathroom sink and tub/shower faucets, for example. I'm confident they'll soon replace (if they haven't already) the clunky A/C in that first room.

Room Tip: I don't know if all the rooms on the 4th floor are as nice as the one we had, but it's worth...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
oregonpoppa,
I am glad to hear that the staff took care of you upon hearing of your A/C issues. I do recall hearing about the A/C the next day. The unit was replaced. Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your visits.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I booked a wake-up call with the front desk for 8.30 am (I told them i didn't have an appointment till 10 am) but was awoken by the telephone at 5.15 am instead! Not good. And I certainly wasn't offered an apology or a refund for their mistake. Also the windows are very thin and the rooms incredibly noisy early in the morning from the planes taking off: they could use some double-glazing. The breakfast is the only plus point here, decent coffee and orange juice plus free newspaper.

Room Tip: They have the hotel linked to a kiost at the Portland Airport --- along with about 10 other hotels...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dannie J ,
I am sorry to hear that your experiences with us were not up to standard. I do apologize for the wake-up call at the incorrect time. I am pleased you liked the breakfast.

Goiania, GO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Everything was just fine on my stay: sevice, staff, complimentary breakfast and internet, room, cleaning, everything. Really recommended for business trips. You need a car, though, as it is quite far from downtown. REally close to the airport. Shuttle available

Room Tip: Once a week they have a show at the restaurant with free beverages. It's a Elvis Presley cover...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thiago_Pena,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your input, and look forward to your return.

Payette, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I travel quite a bit and I judge a hotel more by its customer service than the quality of its rooms. The Clarion has some fantastic staff members who made my three day stay enjoyable. One staff member, Maria, went out of her way to drop me off at a local shopping area on a return trip from a shuttle run to the airport. She also provided me with great walking directions back to the hotel and said that if I didn't feel like walking the two miles she would be happy to come back and pick me up. She definitely went above and beyond her duties and I truly appreciated it.
My room was clean, although some of the furniture did show some signs of wear and tear. I had a nice view of the nearby man-made lake. The outside noise was about what I expected for a hotel so close to airport.
All in all a nice stay. The staff is a great example of exceptional customer service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ClarionPDXManagement, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Tami H,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for sharing your experience with Maria. She is an asset to our team. We look forward to your next visit here at the Clarion.

Don Gibson

Been to Clarion Hotel Portland Airport? Share your experiences!