“Old, Smelly, and Outdated” 2 of 5 stars

Save 15% Now!
Ranked #42 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Eugene, Oregon
“Old, Smelly, and Outdated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I recently spent one night at this hotel for work. This was the recommended hotel for our meeting. This is most definitely my last stay at a Shilo.

We started the evening by not having my reservation. But they found me a room anyway. Unfortunately it was conveniently located to hear all of the noise from the lobby and pool. Good thing I have a white noise app on my phone. I wish they had been too full to accommodate me.

And now the room.........the furniture is outdated, the televisions are straight from the 80s, the cabinetry, etc. is that putrid shade of pink that was so popular in the 80s, and the bed had a bedspread that was older than the hills. I was afraid to touch it, much less sleep with it.

And the smell. I don't know what kind of cleaner the Shilo Inns use that smells so bad, but they all smell like a cheap nursing home. And it's not a faint odor - oh no - it's a headache and nausea inducing overpowering olfactory assault. I am goin to spend weeks trying to get that smell out of my luggage.

On the plus side:

The rooms are large and the rate was low. But for less than $20 more I could stay at the Fairfield and not suffer the odor or ancient decor. That would have been money well spent.

Front desk staff was friendly and efficient, if unprofessionally attired.

Breakfast was adequate and the coffee service very good.

But none of these are enough to convince me to give any of the Shilo Inns another shot.

• Stayed December 2012
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Portland Airport, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear BankerLisa,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a recent review of the Shilo Inn –Portland Airport on Trip Advisor. I was sincerely sorry to read of your experience, and your concerns about the out-datedness of the room. I want to assure you that we are in the process of updating and renovating our facility to include new bed packaging that will certainly give the room a more contemporary look. Most of the TV’s in the rooms have been replaced with 37” flat screen televisions. Unfortunately it looks like you were not put into one of these rooms. I do sincerely hop that you will give us another opportunity and if you call me direct, I will get you assigned to one of our updated rooms. I am also reviewing with housekeeping regarding the “chemical” smell you experienced during your stay. Again, my sincere apologies that you stay was not up to your (or ours) expectations.

General Manage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I found this hotel on booking.com and it was tricky to choose because I’d never been to Portland before. Although the hotel is about 7 miles outside the city centre, I found it a great place as long as you have a car. Despite the closeness to the airport, I couldn’t hear planes at all. The hotel staff were excellent and recommended some restaurants close by. The place has free parking and free wifi. The room was one of the biggest rooms I’ve stayed in. It had a huge King bed and then a separate space with a pull out sofa, table and kitchenette. The bathroom was large with a tub and a small tv in the bathroom! The free breakfast was fantastic, it was in the attached restaurant and was actually a full breakfast. You could order one of a few things off the menu, coffee/tea and fruit. We tried something new each day and even my ten-year-old niece liked it. The thing she loved the most was the indoor pool! I think the only small issue we had was the AC as it made one part of the room very cool but didn't really get to the other side where the bed was. Overall though, no big issue. This place was a good price, clean, spacious and had all the perks we wanted.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear GlobalGirl98,

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your great review of the Shilo Inn Portland Airport Suites. We are so happy that you enjoyed your recent stay and had a chance to use the many amenities that our hotel has to offer such as the 24 hour pool/spa and fitness center, along with the complimentary breakfast. We sincerely hope that you visit us again on your next stay to Portland.

Best Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The staff at check in were very friendly. The staff at check out, NOT so friendly. We felt like we were 'bothering her', and she had better things to be doing. She certainly wasn't interested in our stay, or in welcoming us back in the future. The room was spacious, but had an old smoky smell to it. The beds were comforable, but the pillows were like rocks. The room is very outdated, with old phones and an old TV in the washroom (not too sure who would need an old TV in the washroom). The bathtub was disgusting and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a month. It was nice to have a small dining area, with a fridge and microwave. Our room came with breakfast, and we decided to eat in the restaurant (as you could enjoy a hot breakast there). Our server was very sweet and friendly. However, the food was revolting, and I would definitely recommend sticking with the regular 'cold' breakfast in the hotel lobby area. Unfortunately, our family doesn't recommend this hotel and won't be returning.

Room Tip: Um... I don't think there is one.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear mummybearof3,

I was greatly alarmed when I read your recent review regarding your stay at the Shilo Inn Portland Airport. We are in the process of updating the rooms and bedding packages, but have not finished all of the rooms yet. I was very disappointed to read of your experience with the front desk at check out and your experience in the restaurant. I would sincerely appreciate a phone call or an email so that I may follow up more specifically with the employees that were involved, especially on the cleaning of your room. Again, please accept my apologies, as you can see by other reviews, this is not the acceptable standard of our operation. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity. Please contact me directly and I will gladly make your reservation and ensure that you are placed in an upgraded room.

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This property is a great Value. Renovated rooms are very large comfortable and clean super comfy bed! . We went to spend time with family both parties visiting from out of town. The large rooms provided a nice area for visiting in the evenings. The hotel has a restaurant and lounge on site includes free breakfast free parking and dinner coupon. also has gym and pool . The hotel shuttle is efficient we used it to go to the max rail at the airport. The max red line from the airport takes you down town in 30 minutes and stops at all the major sites and shopping.
Staff are great! Very helpful!
Over all great Airport Property with excellent access to the City
Would recommend

Room Tip: Third floor was nice King Room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear sheby_1,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on Trip Advisor! It is such a motivation to all the employees when our guests find value and enjoy their stay. I sincerely appreciate your comments and will share them with all of our staff. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We chose this hotel as a stopover during a long drive down to southern Oregon. The hotel was very affordable, easy to find, and close to the freeway. I'd say it's about a 10-15 minute drive to downtown Portland, depending on traffic. It's an older property, but has been well maintained. The rooms were surprisingly large, clean, and the beds were very comfortable--this coming from someone who is unfortunately as sensitive as the Princess and the Pea when it comes to sleeping arrangements. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, but my family members who did said that they enjoyed it. We all were given complimentary breakfast vouchers for the hotel restaurant during our stay as well. In all, I wouldn't say that the hotel was a destination in and of itself, but if you're looking for somewhere comfortable, affordable, near to the airport, or want to avoid the high prices of downtown Portland hotels, this is your place!

Dear Shannon B,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We are in the process of updating our facility and I hope on your next visit you will notice the changes. We also offer complimentary transportation to the light rail station which offers metro access for a very reasonable priced day pass that will take you to downtown and all major shopping centers and attractions in the metro area. We sincerely hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to the Portland area.

Lewistown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Airport motels are usually just airport motels, but Shilo is a cut above. After you walk down an endless corridor, you find your room to be very well equipped. Huge bed, suite section with wet bar and card table. Three TV's (one being in the bathroom). Two sinks.

There's a small elevator halfway down the corridor that is useful, as this is a big hotel with only two main elevators.

In the morning, skip the stand-up cold breakfast area and use your supplied chit to get a very good hot egg platter in the motel's restaurant, which is down another endless corridor. The airport shuttle vans are small, so get there comfortably before departure hour (every half-hour) so you don't end up riding on the roof to the airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Jack37,

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. All of our rooms are mini-suites with a separate sitting area with wet bar, microwave and refrigerator, and coffee maker. We do have a fleet of vans that provide the complimentary transportation to the airport, so I assure you (and other readers) that no one will have end up riding on the roof!. Thanks again for your great review.

Braintree, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We booked this hotel through Priceline for $66 a night including taxes and fees. We wanted something close to the Portland Airport with an airport shuttle. We have been really surprised by this hotel. The room (a double) is huge! It has two double beds and a separate sitting area with a small kitchen area with a microwave and mini-fridge. The location was really convenient. We had a Budget rental car we needed to return and it turned out that the Budget location is a short walk from the hotel. There is a restaurant onsite, but we elected to go across the street to Shari's Cafe & Pies (review to come soon!). Shuttle starts at 4 am and runs every half hour. There is breakfast available in the hotel starting at 5 am and in the restaurant starting at 6 am. Breakfast is complimentary in the hotel and in the restaurant they have complimentary selections and added items for a fee. I'm writing this review before having breakfast, but so far, so good. The pool, hot tub and fitness areas look very nice, although we didn't use them. The wifi is free and really easy to get on.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Twimom,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of the Shilo Inn Suites, Portland Airport. It motivates our entire staff and management when our guests enjoy their stay and feel that they got a great product at a reasonable price. I am sorry that you didn’t have time to enjoy all the amenities of the hotel such as our 24 hour pool, spa, and fitness center. Hopefully on your stay!

Tim Laib

Been to Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Portland Airport? Share your experiences!