“Convenient location, comfortable room” 4 of 5 stars

Silver Cloud Inn NW Portland
2426 N.W. Vaughn St., Portland, OR 97210 (Northwest District)   |
Ranked #19 of 132 Hotels in Portland
seattle, wa
“Convenient location, comfortable room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is right off of the freeway and in a wonderful neighborhood of beautiful homes, little shops, and a variety of great restaurants. It is perfect for people who like to walk. The room was spacious and clean, there is free covered parking, and public transportation is close by. Our only complaint was the very heavy walkers in the room above us who kept us awake the first night. We had gone to bed around 9:30 and the people above us walked around noisily until about 11:30. We had asked for a top floor room and ended up on the third floor instead of the fourth floor. Everything else about the hotel was very nice.

Room Tip: If you don't want to take a chance on noisy neighbors above you, ask for the top floor. Based o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Haledon, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Negatives: We got woken up at 4:30am to the extremely loud sound outside our window of garbage trucks emptying the dumpsters. I fell back to sleep, only to be woken back up at 5:00 to the sound of someone dragging trash cans all over the place for 10 minutes. At 5:30, a new sound started up, which sounded like a helicopter, again, right outside the window. I went over and looked out the window and didn't see anything. As I leaned into the window, I realized that the noise was actually being produced from the window itself, as it was violently shaking/vibrating. I have no idea what would have caused this vibrating window situation, but it was weird and noisy. I am writing this review based on my first 24 hr experience of my 9 day hotel stay here, so maybe this was just a one time occurrence or something. I will update if it happens EVERY MORNING. Another factor influencing a bad nights sleep here are these HARD mattresses! I read that they are new, which is fantastic, but they are really hard and cause body pains. The sinks/counter top and mirrors are all outside of the actual bathroom (shower and toilet). Besides it being strange, it is not very practical. There are no surfaces near the shower to put a towel or clothes to change into on. I ended up moving the desk chair in there so I had a surface to place things on. The last negative thing is the occasional chemical smell in the air outside the hotel. I know that the hotel can't do anything about it, but its really strong and makes you feel like your getting cancer when you walk through the parking garage. I thought Portland was supposed to be all eco-friendly...

Positives: The linens and towels are pretty nice and smell very clean and fresh. The room is clean, has a great tv, larger than normal mini fridge, microwave and coffee/tea machine. The reception staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfast is one of the best complimentary breakfasts I've had in a long time. We got it yesterday around 6am, so it was fully stocked and hot at the time. They have tea/coffee/hot chocolate/juice/real eggs/sausage/waffles/bagels/danishes/apples/oranges/bananas/cereal/yogurt. I'm kind of a picky food snob and I found it to be pretty great. Its also nice how they leave the tea, coffee and fruit out all day so you can grab a snack if you want. This hotel is in an pretty good location. There is an expensive co-op/organic grocery store right around the corner, as well as a bunch of restaurants and cafes everywhere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GlManager, General Manager at Silver Cloud Inn NW Portland, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was sorry to see that you had challenges with the room on the first night after a long trip. After speaking with you at the hotel it sounded like the rest of your stay was great and the hotel was fine.
I'm not sure why the neighbors' garbage company starts so early as ours doesn't pick up until 9 or later in the morning. I did find out that the Breakfast Hostess was doing some early laundry and that would account for the vibration. I do apologize for the noise and we have put a stop to that.
Thank you for your time and details of your stay.
Taichung, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here while visiting from abroad. Best rates on Priceline. Spacious clean room in a lovely location in NW Portland. The staff is friendly and welcoming without being intrusive. Nice breakfast. Comfortable bed. Fine bathroom. Free Internet and free parking. The computer for printing in the lobby is useful. Aveda toiletries. Microwave and fridge. Consistantly excellent hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here for a few days, attending a conference at a nearby hotel downtown. We chose the Silver Cloud due to very positive experiences in Seattle. We were again pleased with this Portland hotel.

The location is excellent, and we were pleased to find a nice little food co-op just around the corner, as well as a pastry/coffee shop, and the hotel is very close to a strip of restaurants, bars and boutiques. Free parking is a plus. The breakfast is slightly limited but perfectly acceptable for the size of the hotel; same for the fitness room. We were impressed by the tap of piping hot water in the breakfast room. The rooms themselves are adequately spacious, with mini-fridge and microwave. Our room was impeccably clean. The staff were all helpful. Nice Aveda toiletries, one of my favourite brands. One nice bonus -- the window opened, not common these days. Despite facing the main road, we didn't hear any noise. We had requested a quiet room away from elevator/drink machine etc, and this was honoured.

It's about 2 miles to downtown, and apparently the free shuttle goes in a different direction, but certainly walkable. There is also bus, and even a cab both ways is cheaper than parking downtown.

There were lots of nice little touches, such as a basket of umbrellas in the lobby, a bowl of hard sweets, and coffee/fruit available 24 hours.

Overall we were very pleased with this hotel and would not hesitate to stay again if in Portland.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
West Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stopped in Portland partially because I wasn't feeling too good and because I can always visit my quirky friends there.

I checked in super early so I could hit the bed and get some rest. Front desk was really nice and accommodating. They gave me a nice quiet clean room. Room was pretty big. Aveda toiletries. Microwave and fridge. Big tellie.

There's a bus stop right out the front door to take downtown or all the way to southeast. Hotel is in walking distance of 21st and 23rd Avenues where there is plenty to do.

Hotel was nothing fancy or trendy, maybe a bit dated decor. Good deal for the price and in a great neighborhood.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Cottage Grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip. It was conveniently located to the office. I had a King Suite and it was very roomy with a kitchenette. The room was clean, the TV was huge, the bed was comfortable with many pillows. The bathroom area had plenty of counter space. And there were bathrobes for lounging. Free wifi and parking. The room reminded me of a 1 bedroom apartment. The staff was friendly and helpful and offered suggestions on dining in the area. My co-worker and I walked a few blocks to dinner and felt safe. Many dining and shopping choices in the area. The hotel breakfast was above the standard continental breakfast. It was about a 20 minute drive to the airport. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the hotel while visiting family two blocks away. All of the staff were pleasant and accommodating. Our room request was honored. Our room was on the top floor and very comfortable and clean. It was in a great location and an easy walk to shops and restaurants. They had a good expanded continental breakfast, and staff were happy to provide suggestions and information on the area. the Silver Cloud will be our choice when traveling to Portland !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Silver Cloud Inn NW Portland? Share your experiences!