“Incredible hotel and experience” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   729 SW 15th Avenue, Portland, OR 97205   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 133 Hotels in Portland
New York, New York
“Incredible hotel and experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

The Hotel Deluxe in Portland was a phenomenal experience on all levels. My husband and I were on vacation for our second wedding anniversary and we were flying into Portland prior to driving to central Oregon the following day. We were astounded by the incredible service. EVERY person we encountered was kind, accomodating and knowledgeable. The hotel is simply gorgeous and immaculate. This boutique hotel is modeled to transport you to the 1940's excitement of screen and film. It does so with elegance and beauty. The room itself was large enough but if you are looking for a place with large space, you might be disappointed in the size only. We stayed in a standard room with king size bed. The bed was so inviting with gorgeous linens, duvet and pillows. The bellman gave us an orientation to the hotel, including their i-pod menu, pillow menu and spirituality menu. He also gave us some information regarding the area and places to go based upon our interests. When we checked in and my husband told the desk staff that days was our anniversary, we were asked if it would be OK for them to send up a complimentary bottle of champage. Was it ok?? It sure was and the moderately priced bottle arrived in silver bucket with a handwritten, personal note wishing us a happy anniversary...
To summarize, if you are going to Portland, stay at the Hotel Deluxe. If you want to experience an incredible respite and see how a hotel should be run, plan a trip to the Hotel Deluxe in Portland.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — size of room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

Service at the Hotel deLuxe is excellent. Everyone is friendly and helpful. The King bed room we got was a corner room, very cosy and comfortable. Next time we'll book the larger suite so that there'll be more space to pack.

The only minus was that the bathroom seemed to have a smell similar to blocked sewage, although that could have been a function of the building being old.

We didn't try Gracie's because there were so many restaurants in Portland to eat at! Blue Hour for one was great. Silk for the Vietnamese Pho was great as well.

We also loved Portland for the shopping - no sales tax! Great for any big ticket items you may have in mind. Will definitely stay at the deLuxe next time around. Great job to the management and all staff.

• Liked — The top-notch service, the theme of the hotel
  • Disliked — That smell in the bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

It was a sheer pleasure staying at the Hotel DeLuxe. To be honest, I first tried to make reservations at the Kennedy School since that setting is so unusual and I had enjoyed my stay there on a previous trip to Portland. However, since it was booked up I chose Hotel DeLuxe instead and I'm happy to say that this turned out to be an excellent choice. Hotel DeLuxe is unusual and funky in its own way.The vintage movie theme throughout the hotel sets the stage for luxurious accommodations but within an acceptable price range. My queen deluxe room with a really nice bathroom was larger than I expected and quite immaculate. In fact, the cleanliness alone would have garnered a high overall rating from me. But the staff is what makes this hotel more than just a great place to stay. My friend and I were in a wedding that weekend (he was getting married, I was his Best Person) and our stress was evident. The Hotel DeLuxe staff eased our pre-wedding anxiety by assisting us with lunch recommendations, driving directions, breakfast delivery to our room twice on the day of the wedding due to our own screw-up, and many more ways than I have room to mention here. I met numerous staff people during my short weekend stay and they were the friendliest, most sincere group I've ever encountered in a hotel. This hotel deserves its high rating. Do yourself a favor, book a reservation. You won't regret it.

• Liked — the staff, my beautiful room, and the lovely lounge bar on the ground floor
  • Disliked — not much of a view from my window
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bend oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

very cool sophisticated ,but not for families. We stayed in a suite and was a little cramped with two kids and two adults- NO kids menu so you have pay for an adult size meal for a 3 year old- waste of money!!

Stayed August 2008
KlaudioPortland, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, September 11, 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the deLuxe. I am sorry the room size did not meet your expectations. There are several options in terms of suite sizes and I am sure we can find one that meets your needs. As for the child menu, we are currently in the process of creating a delicious menu for our young guests and I would love for you to try it out. Please contact me at your convenience to discuss some options for your return and I am sure your next stay will be much more enjoyable. Thank you again for your email and I look forward to talking to you.

Klaudio Simic
Austin, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

We loved this hotel. A group of us were visiting friends in Portland and, through a recommendation, found this gem. The hotel itself is beautiful and fits perfectly into the Portland experience. The 1940's movie-theme runs throughout and creates an ambiance that is really relaxing. The service was exceptional and set high above 4 star hotels we've stayed at in the past. Because the hotel is smaller and the emphasis is on the guest, this is a hotel we would recommend to anyone traveling to Portland or just looking for a fun getaway.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

I cannot fathom how anyone can say anything negative about this hotel. We were visiting the Pac NW for my wife's birthday from Atlanta and I specifically selected this hotel b/c of it's Hollywood Glam 40's motif and she was totally blown away from start to finish.

Building/Location
Walkable to/from the Pearl and Downtown. Very charming lobby with attention to detail both there and in the hallways upstairs. Building is older, and it adds to the quaintness of the "era-feel" they are going for.

Room
Small, but that is expected in older PDX hotels. The decor was fantastic and the bathroom felt like someone's remodeled older home (I mean this in a good way). Nice subway tile work, and the fixtures/hardware match the era very nicely. Bed was reasonably comfortable. Furniture in the room also matched the era very well and made for a very "high end" feel to the stay.

Over-the-top fantastic. To be honest, the service is what made this stay so wonderful. We arrived late from a long flight and were greeted with the typical Oregon friendliness and when I mentioned that it was my wife's birthday, the clerk immediately went through great pains to ensure we were upgraded (for free) to the best room available. Only one night, but we got the "oval room" honeymoon suite which was very nice. We also got a bottle of wine delivered for her actual birthday which was a very nice and unexpected surprise. Everyone at this place, from doormen to valets to desk workers, are top notch and give the impression of really caring about making your stay the best.

Overall I have to say that, although initially guilty about spending the money on this place, it was well worth it, as I got to hear my wife compare all other hotels for the remainder of our trip to this place. It was great and I recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Customer service/decor
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

We had time off. We were tired of heat and smoke from forest fires. We wished to be fed and amused. We drove to Portland.........
Our choice of hotel was dictated by our son, who when asked for advice said" you will stay at the DeLuxe, don't even think of anywhere else. I will e-mail right back with your confirmation number". Hummm, there seems to be some kind of loyalty thing here.
There IS a reason for that loyalty. The entire hotel staff manifests an "attitude of gratitude" towards the patrons of the hotel. They are grateful for the business and want their guests to return. The Hotel DeLuxe combines excellent service with a well designed product and comes up a winner.
Our room on the "dog floor" was spacious with a refined and cheerful color palate. The bedding was superb with extensive refinements in the pilow menu. The closet was bigger than my first apartment in NY. The bathroom had excellent lighting, really good towels (lots) and was VERY clean. Two bathroom caveats: the shower can only be adjusted by a very tall person and the tub is slippery and needs a rubber mat. The bath amenities are Aveda products. (Beautiful bathrobes also!)
Octavia, the wonder dog (aren't they all) was treated equally well. She received an appropriately sized dog bed, food and water bowls, bottled water, dog treats, a rubber squeeky toy and a welcome letter with a list of available services for the furry.
The location of the hotel is a little off the path of the Pearl and downtown shopping areas but is easily accessible to the highway. Nightime noise level is minimal and the rooms are quiet. transportation on the "Fareless Square" is four short blocks one way and five in the other direction. After one trip outside the city we buried the car for the rest of our stay.
Location does become important in the area of food. Portland food in general is sophisticated and imaginative. Gracie's, the Hotel Deluxe's contestant in the Portland food sweepstakes, travels well back in pack. The restaurant is beautiful and very well designed with regard for lighting, privacy and noise levels but the kitchen is out to lunch. Breakfast is the best of the offerings. Dinner is unfortunate and best avoided. There are too many memorable meals in Portland. They are not here.
The Hotel DeLuxe is an excellent choice and we certainly would return there.

• Liked — great staff attitude/lovely bed/pet friendly
  • Disliked — restaurant food
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel deLuxe? Share your experiences!