“Fantastic Portland Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic Portland Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband, dog and I stayed at the Hotel deLuxe during a recent stop in Portland while on our three week cross-country road trip. This is a FANTASTIC hotel. The vintage charm of the lobby really starts your stay off on the right foot. Our room was beautifully decorated and updated--I wanted to move right in! The location is good and the staff was very kind to our dog. The staff also gave great recommendations for places to eat in Portland. Parking can be expensive, but the street parking across the street is free overnight. We loved this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review regarding your stay with us. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stop in Portland. I hope you decide to stay with us again if you are ever back in Portland.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Just spent a wonderful Valentine's Day weekend here. I've been to the Driftwood Room on a prior trip (the food is amazing and the atmosphere is sexy), so I knew the hotel was beautiful and had a very warm, old glamour feeling to it. But I was concerned about staying here after reading the reviews about the small rooms and bathrooms. I'm so glad I took a chance. I upgraded to a King feature room and it was exactly what I requested…one with a larger bathroom and on a higher floor. It was nice and large and it was spotlessly clean. Sure, the bathroom is still pretty small, but it wasn't terrible. The robe, toiletries, and bed were fantastic and the big windows were nice to have since the sun is scarce. My breakfast was wonderful and the staff was so accommodating and just pleasant that it made staying there that much nicer. I really can say that from the front desk to the valet to housekeeping…every single person I encountered over 3 days made us feel at home.

Very easy walk, straight down the street, to downtown (Nordstrom's, Macy's, even a target). Side note: I live in Houston and was worried when I saw on the map that I had to walk over a freeway to get to downtown. I felt like such an idiot when it was just a regular downtown street and nothing like the sketchy "over passes" I'm used to in larger cities.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a King Feature and ask for one with a larger bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us over Valentine's Day weekend. I appreciate that you took the time to write such a nice review about it as well. Your compliments regarding the service are especially kind and will be passed along to the staff. I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon whether at the hotel or the Driftwood Room.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Friendly, charming, and gracious .... Lovely hotel. We were unhappy with our noisy room located next to the elevators, and staff was very helpful in relocating us to a better room. Avoid Room 802. Gracie's coffee shop has a very nice breakfast menu.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review. I am glad to hear you had a lovely stay and that we were able to get you into a room that suited your needs. I do hope you choose to return next time you are in Portland.
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We have stayed here several times...it is close to a theater we like to attend. The lobby and bar are quite charming and the service is fantastic! The doormen/valets are always there and quick to attend to you. We stayed in a KING room. The room was a bit on the small side [seems like we had a larger room last time but I may be confusing it with a different hotel] but had a very comfy bed and was quite quiet. The only noise we really heard was from a toilet being flushed in the room above, but it was not annoying. You can get drinks and bar food in the Driftroom or the lobby. Wonderful cocktails and food! Have the Ginger Rogers Martini! We did not eat in the restauant, but did get room service for breakfast which was ordered right on time and my poached eggs were hot and cooked perfectly! Bacon crisp as ordered too!
We will go back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback about your visit. I am pleased to know you enjoy the property and have stayed with us on multiple occasions. I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in town.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed here for two nights, keep in mind I'm a hotel junkie and a tough, tough critic. I checked in with Mariah, she was exceptionally friendly and genuine. My room (queen) was small but incredibly comfortable. The staff (housekeeping, etc.. ) anticipates your needs. I used all the cream for my Coffee, they left me extra the next day. I usually don't like room service, as I find the food arrives cold and soggy, not here. Amazing, hot food, serviced promptly. My room was one of the cleanest I have ever had at a hotel, in recent memory. The staff seems very happy and really goes the extra mile--thank you! All around--- way above and beyond what I expected. Amazing beds too. 10 Stars!

Room Tip: If you want to drink in the bar, go early.. very popular and gets crowded. Try the restaurant, not...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the outstanding review and very kind words which I will pass on to the staff. I would love to welcome you back if you are ever in the Rose City again.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I liked the general "cinema-oriented" atmosphere of the hotel which I found gave it a great cachet. The staff was really courteous and helpful over my stay. The room was a little small but it worked out just fine. Didn't have any trouble parking in the street around the hotel. There's also a hotel-owned parking that is not that expensive compared to others. It is also in walking distance of great restaurants and brewery which was great.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding you recent stay with us. I am glad to hear you had a nice stay and hope you will return next time you are in Portland.
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel deLuxe for three nights in late October. First impressions of the hotel are that the old Hollywood theme is chic and stylish. I think themes of any sort can get tacky fast, but this isn't the case at Hotel deluxe. The decor was absolutely beautiful!

The front desk clerks were nice, but not as welcoming as I expected. They were courteous, but that's about it.

The room we stayed in was somewhat small, but definitely enough room for two people. We knew going in that the rooms would be on the smaller side since it is a boutique hotel and in a historic property, so this wasn't a negative for us.The bed was AMAZINGLY comfortable! Usually I can't get very comfortable in hotel beds, but that wasn't the case here. The bathroom was small too, but tastefully decorated and equipped with everything you need.

The hotel restaurant, Gracie's, was elegant and served great food, especially breakfast. We didn't get to experience the hotel bar because it got quite packed very early each night we were there, but food & drinks are served out in the lobby when this happens.Our waitress was excellent and gave us advice on what to do during our first trip to Portland.

The hotel is in a perfect location. We were able to walk all around with city with no problems. The MAX railway station is just a couple minutes walk away. Very convenient!

Overall, we had a great time and would stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate the positive review and useful feedback. It is great to hear you slept so well in our beds and were able to get out and explore the city on foot. Next time you decide to visit Portland, I hope you will decide to stay with us again.

Been to Hotel deLuxe? Share your experiences!