“No trouble here, just a great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   729 SW 15th Avenue, Portland, OR 97205   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Darien, Illinois
“No trouble here, just a great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I had a wonderful experience staying at the Hotel DeLuxe while traveling to Portland for three nights with my boyfriend. It was the perfect location for us. Mostly everywhere in Portland is within walking distance, but this location allowed us to be close to the Pearl District and Downtown. It is also just steps away from the Jeld-Wen Field MAX red line train stop, so it was really easy to get to from the airport. The staff was very friendly and the room was clean and well maintained. I also felt that the price of the room was very reasonable. The hotel did charge $75.00 a night to cover any potential incidentals to the credit card we used to book the room. However, this money was immediately refunded to our card as soon as the room charges went through. Bear this in mind if you want to pay with a debit card instead of credit card. There is entirely way too many things to do in Portland, so I hope some day I can return, in when I do, I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Seattle, WA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Pros: Great staff, very friendly and helpful. Love the Old Hollywood theme—some hotel themes can be overdone or overwhelming, but this one is not only an appropriate one for a hotel, but it’s done in a fun way. Even without the Old Hollywood theme, the décor of the historic building would be lovely. We had no problem with noise, but we were on the top floor and we use a white noise machine at night. We didn’t arrive by plane, but it is nice that the train from the airport stops across the street. Breakfast in the restaurant was great, as was ordering dessert from the bar and sitting in the lobby in the evening.

Not so pro but not really cons: It’s not cheap but I do think you get what you pay for, so I didn’t find it overpriced—just not for bargain hunters. This includes the room itself, parking, and meals. The location was close enough to downtown, the Pearl District, and NW 23rd that we could walk to all these locations, but they were fairly good hikes. There are no restaurants or shops in the immediate vicinity of the hotel—just the soccer stadium. Our room and bathroom were quite cramped—I’ve stayed in plenty of hotel rooms, especially in Europe, that were smaller in dimension, but they were laid out to make the best use of the space. I could have done without the giant chest of drawers taking up a large chunk of the room so we’d have more room for our suitcases. It didn’t take away from our stay, except when we were trying to squeeze around the bathtub to get to the sink. Maybe other rooms have more room to move?

We didn’t order a movie because, again, nothing was cheap, but we were surprised there weren’t any of the classic films that feature in the décor. We were so caught up in the Old Hollywood theme, we probably would have shelled out the big bucks to watch Roman Holiday!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We have stayed in a number of hotels in Portland, and the Hotel Deluxe is by far our favourite! The staff are exceptionally friendly, the hotel has a boutique, "European" feel, ie it feels intimate although it is not a small hotel, and the rooms are clean and very well appointed as far as linens, robes etc are concerned. We always stay in one of the larger rooms and they are beautiful. Location is a few blocks outside the downtown core but we've stayed in the downtown core, this is not a bad thing.

Room Tip: If you can afford a larger room go for it, they are glamorous, esp corner rooms.
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Was truly disappointed with this hotel. We stayed there for two nights for a friends wedding. Our friend paid for our room as we were photographing his wedding that weekend. When we checked in they asked for a card, the said it was just procedure and they would not charge anything to it as we were not using it to pay for the room.
The next day we headed over to where the wedding was being held to get a look at the sight before hand. When we got back to the hotel a few hours later we couldn't get into our room with our key cards. The cleaning ladies on our floor said that according to their list we were checked out. When I got down to the desk said that their notes on their computer said we were only there for the one night, even though when we checked in the day before they said they had us down for two nights. They also had charged our card, even with me telling them that our friend was paying when we all checked out on Sunday.
They did reverse the charges but that is not where it ends. When I checked my bank account on Monday I found that they had added a $500 charge to my card. When I called to ask about it they said that it was a fee they charged for smoking in the room. When I pointed out that we had not smoked in the room and why would they think so, I was told that they had found cigarette butts in the garbage and that the room smelled. I pointed out that yes my husband was a smoker and yes he had thrown his butts in the trash when he emptied them from his pocket. Ashes in a room prove smoking, not used butts!! The assistant manager that I spoke to was very rude to me on the phone and said that the maids had found them and there fore we had been smoking. When again I told him that NO, there had not been any smoking in the room, he said he would look into it. When he called me back he was again very rude, told me that the charges were reversed and then hung up before I could say anything. Today when I looked at my account I saw again that there was another charge from them on my card. I have never had such trouble with a hotel before and am truly upset with them!!! I will be telling all my friends to avoid this place as well as calling and making another complaint with them tomorrow!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Please accept my sincere apology for the numerous issues you were unhappy about. We take our guest health and well-being seriously and employ various techniques to detect and mitigate smoking damage in our guestrooms. We have addressed your concerns and based on the feedback received will continue to find way to make sure every guest is fully satisfied with their stay.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Unfortunately, I only stayed here one night. From the moment we pulled up to the valet to the moment we checked out, I loved this place. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I loved the charm of the hotel and the little 'extras' that are provided. The room was smaller but my goodness, this is an older hotel, it's part of the charm. The mini bar basket had some very interesting items in it...loved it. I will be making a trip back to Portland this summer and will DEFINITELY be staying at this hotel! I loved the pillows...I wanted to take them with me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and there is much attention to detail in every aspect of design and comfort. However, what makes every stay at the deLuxe a pleasure is dedicated and attentive staff. They tend to your every need, and make you feel like you matter in a genuine and authentic way.

Not to be missed: the magnificent custom craft cocktails at the Driftwood Room. Mike, who tends the bar most nights, will make you the best drink you've ever had and give you an education in mixology if you engage him.

The food is great too, both at the Driftwood and across the hall at Gracie's. A visit to the deLuxe is a must for anyone visiting Portland whether you're lucky enough to stay there or not.

Room Tip: Try a king room or a suite for a bit more space.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Issaquah, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose the hotel for its location--within walking distance of many sights in Portland--and got the added bonus of a wonderful and very beautiful place to stay. The location was quiet in addition to convenient, and the staff was excellent. A special high note was the Driftwood Room: The bartenders all--without exception--mixed us wonderful drinks, and the ambiance was friendly and relaxed: Exactly what a small Hotel Bar is supposed to be. The restaurant--Gracie's--had a good breakfast in very attractive 1920's Deco surroundings. Our room was comfortable, and the wi-fi was quite zippy. We found our home-away-from-home in Portland...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel deLuxe? Share your experiences!