“We look forward to deLuxe as much as Portland itself” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   729 SW 15th Avenue, Portland, OR 97205   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Austin, Texas
“We look forward to deLuxe as much as Portland itself”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

It's a no brainer when we go to Portland, Hotel deLuxe is our only choice. We've stayed there twice and been happy both times. It's a really fun hotel -- the rooms are thematic based on golden era Hollywood, which not only is fun, it's well done, the rooms are lovely and comfortable. Given it's an older building, some of the cheaper rooms are pretty small, but deLuxe is so attentive to detail that it doesn't detract from the experience. The location is great too; not right in the mix, but we walk to Pioneer Square and the Pearl District with no problem, and it's an easy drive anywhere you need to go. Plus there's the lightrail stop a few blocks away that makes life easy too. Finally and our very favorite part, is the Driftwood Bar. It's the best, terrific old fashioned cocktails, awesome happy hour prices and ambiance (again, old school Hollywood), and the food!!! I crave their macaroni and cheese and skillet field mushrooms constantly. We can't wait to go back in February and stay there again. We always consider other spots that would suit us well (the Nines, for example), but always end up back at the deLuxe.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Barwon Heads, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

What a find! This is place is perched on the edge of Downtown and the Pearl District and the North West. From the moment you are greeted by the door staff, you are immaculately looked after. Check-in was pleasant and smooth and friendly. The room was a little small, but was well appointed and clean. My bottle opener broke and it was replaced within three minutes after a quick phone down to reception - the little things like that impressed me a lot. My only gripe was that the walls were too thin. I could a couple talking in the room next to me and they were by no means yelling or being loud, but it was annoying at midnight. Other than that, I canot fault this gem of a place. The Driftwood Bar was great and the bartenders knew their stuff. If I ever come back to Portland, I will stay here again. I just Tripadvisor would allow for half-stars, because I would have rated this four and a half rather than four.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Gig Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Hotel DeLuxe lives up to its name. The Driftwood bar in the hotel is a scene in and of itself - dark lighting, a few intimate, small tables and a fantastic array of local libations and old school Hollywood cocktails. The theme of the entire hotel is Golden Age Hollywood. The decor is fun and well done, from the lobby to the art to the furniture.

We spent a couple of hours at the bar and loved it. They have incredible deals on local wines and liquor. I got a flight of Oregon bourbon with FOUR shots for $10. It's like a wine flight, only better, because it's BOURBON. Did I mention it was $10?

The bar food menu was delicious. they have several great offerings. We had the Balsamic and black pepper fries and ate every one. They have happy hour during the typical afternoon hours, and again starting at 9:30pm.

The hotel restaurant also has a great menu, and is actually a really good bargain for the quality of food and atmosphere. It was cheaper than the Pearl District restaurants we went to.

The rooms were well appointed, if a little on the small side. The bathroom was nice and spacious and had great era-appropriate fixtures. The bed was great, too. We slept well.

A note on the location - the hotel bills itself partly on location. Depending on the weather, the 10-15 minute walk to the Pearl District can be an enjoyable stroll, or a hike through driving rain or cold wind. The immediate neighborhood around the hotel isn't fantastic. To their credit, Hotel deLuxe keeps a stock of umbrellas it offers for guests to use. It was a very nice touch.

Valet and garage parking are right next door and convenient. The service was great, but it was $28 a night, $24 if you self park.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on upper floors to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was a fantastic hotel, the staff was excellent, the room while antiquated was in great shape and very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel for single or couple travelers, as the rooms are a bit small. When I travel with my family we like to have bigger spaces.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I just got back from my trip to Portland a few days ago. My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel and we couldn't have been more pleased! We took an early flight over and arrived at the hotel around 9:30am- most hotels NEVER have the room ready and make a stink about how early you are. They definitely didn't. The room was ready, and perfect. We got the King Feature and it was VERY spacious. They give you a map upon check in and let you know what's going on around the area, and give you suggestions to restaurants.

Every person we dealt with was so incredibly friendly. The hotel is very small, but I loved it. The lobby was quaint, and they had Christmas decorations up which was great. I recommend this hotel to everyone, it's in a great location, and you can walk everywhere!

I wish I remembered more names of the employees but Tay and everyone at the bar was awesome, including the ladies at the check in counter! They even kept our bags after check out for hours, so nice!

PS! MOST COMFORTABLE BED EVER. I was shocked, the bed was the best hotel bed I've ever slept in!!!

Room Tip: We had a room on the 8th floor, didn't hear anything really!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Here on business trip in December 2012. Staff were highly attentive, friendly, helpful. One of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. It's not the biggest but the quality of the rooms and the service was incredible and the price, though i wasn't paying, seemed very reasonable at about £100 B&B. It had a lovely American feel which is lost in many of the bigger chains.

And the bed was superb - rarely slept in one so comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Lafayette, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have stayed at the Hotel deLuxe twice, and recommended it to friends as well. This hotel has character, and is in a very convenient location for access to downtown shopping while being in a quiet neighborhood. I always stay in the Queen Suite, which is spacious and comfortable. Hotel service is first rate with little touches of elegance like a pillow menu to be sure you have a good sleep. Downstairs is one of Portland's hot gathering spots - the Driftwood Room, serving really great drinks and bar food. The main dining room is Gracie's and it is a lovely room with quality food.

Room Tip: I have always chosen the Queen Suite, since I like being able to have friends up for a glass of wine...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel deLuxe? Share your experiences!