“Wonderful and classy boutique - loved it!!” 5 of 5 stars

TA users save 15%!
Ranked #4 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York, New York, United States
“Wonderful and classy boutique - loved it!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

This is a very hotel in downtown Portland. I loved my stay. The rooms were very pretty and the tea was delicious. I actually asked for extra tea, which was given right away. In particular, I liked the Speakeasy bar and Ben Hur photo outside of my room. The Internet is free if you become a member of this hotel's rewards group, which is easy and does not cost anything. The Aveda products were also wonderful. I will definitely try to stay here again when I come back. Wonderful staff, too. Great happy hour prices.

Here are a few things to consider:

- I'm from NYC, so I'm not bothered by a small room. It had quite a European feel. This may not be the case for everyone, though.
- Also being from NYC, a 5-10 min walk to museums did not bother me at all. Portland is very pretty and walkable. It's a good way to see things anyway. The hotel is also close to the rail and bus stops.
- I booked on Priceline for a very good rate. The weekend I stayed, rack rates for this hotel were about $50 cheaper than comparable hotels.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Hotel deLuxe. It's quite a stylish property - the rooms and public areas are tastefully decorated. Our room was very comfortable and had everything we needed. I particularly liked the bathroom, which had a nice window that opened, Aveda bath products, good lighting, etc. The only downside was the lack of counter space, which some other reviewers have mentioned. Staff were without exception friendly and helpful. We didn't find the immediate surroundings to be terribly lively, but didn't have to walk far to get to great restaurants and pubs. My only real complaint is the for-fee wireless, as others have mentioned. I had the impression upon booking that wireless would be included (the website seems to indicate this; it certainly doesn't mention an extra fee), but it turns out it's $10 per night, which seems a bit mean.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I read the glowing reviews on TA about this hotel so we booked it for a recent 4 day getaway to Portland.

It's a lovely old hotel with friendly, helpful staff. The public salons are impressive and the restaurant serves good food. But for the price, we wouldn't stay here again.

Poor Location:
The location is further away from the immediate center of Portland where the other, more modern (and comparably priced) hotels are located. Portland has fantastic transit but the hotel is outside that free zone. So every time you want to go somewhere, you have to walk 5-10 mins just to get to where you would have started had you stayed closer to the action.

Noisy:
Unfortunately, being further from the center didn't mean less noisy. Old hotels have old windows and so sound from outside (like rooftop fans, HVAC systems, highway noise, car alarms, etc) transmits readily into the room. Bring your earplugs.
- We had to change rooms after the first night because we were awoken first thing by the loud, thumping sound of housekeeping staff who were loading a laundry chute. One of the reasons for our getaway was to get a restful sleep, so that was a drag.

Cramped Bathrooms:
- The bathrooms are small compared to more modern hotels. There is very little floor space to maneuver in the bathroom and so it is only practical for one person to use at a time. There is no vanity and therefore no counter-top at which two people can get ready at the same time. We tried showering while the other person was using the mirror, but the bathrooms don't have fans so the mirror fogged up quickly. The tub is small so you can't shower together. That means that it takes much longer to get going in the morning because you have to take turns. The result is that you're not in sync with your partner and lose time getting going in the morning.

Little Things:
- The website says that the rooms have WIFI. But when we checked in, the front desk staff tried to charge us $10/day at check-in for that. That felt wrong.
- Unlike every hotel I have ever stayed in my life, there is no free TV listing guide on the room TVs. There is no channel which displays the guide of upcoming shows. You have to scroll up and down through each channel to see what's on right now. The only way to find out what's coming up later is to: First, download and register an app for your iPhone and THEN, you have to pay $1 to get the TV guide. Seriously?

In summary, if you are going to Portland to experience the fabulous downtown, be close to transit, and catch up on your sleep, I'd recommend you stay at one of the more modern hotels. It will cost the same and you'll have a better experience.

Room Tip: Don't get room 830, it's right next to the laundry chute.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you very much for commenting on your recent stay at the deLuxe. I sincerely apologize that your visit did not meet your expectations. We should have addressed most your concerns satisfactorily, which would have improved your experience. I invite you to call me directly to discuss your stay. I hope to convince you to give us another try when you are in Portland. We appreciate your comments and I look forward to hearing from you.
Tim Block, General Manager, 503-219-8623
Watson, ACT Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The one night stay was more than I had hoped. The little gym provided good machines and stretching mats. Best of all is the bread pudding for dessert at Gracies--on a one to ten, it is an eleven! Fun movie theme posters and classy, comfortable dining area. Can't say enough positives. . .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
petaluma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I cannot possilby recommend this hotel. They allow guests to bring dogs and I was kept awake for several hours by the dog in the adjacent room. The night before this the hotel allowed a film crew to shoot in the lobby and my Portland friend who was driving me back to the hotel was rudely treated and not allowed to drop us off in front of the hotel. The next evening a wedding closed down the lobby and we had to negotiate a large crowd of intoxicated wedding guests.

I've stayed at several other Portland hotels in previous visits. Even if none of the above had happened, I'd rate this an average hotel. It is close to the Pearl district which I like. But I'd be crazy to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am very sorry to hear of the multiple experiences which resulted in you not enjoying your stay. Please accept my sincere apology for us not handling these circumstances in a satisfactory manner. Although you have indicated you would not choose to return, I do invite you to contact me directly if you do consider returning. I welcome the opportunity to handle your arrangements personally to ensure 100% satisfaction.
Kind regards,
Tim Block - General Manager
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This hotel is as close to perfect as you can get: location, staff, room decor, restaurant and bar. I loved the movie theme throughout. Tasteful not overdone. Gracie's Restaurant is as good as any we ate in, and Portland has amazing ones. Staff is very knowledgeable and just fun to talk with. No one seemed rushed, but still efficient. Within walking distance of theater, restaurants, shopping, parks. Stay here. You'll love it.

Room Tip: If you want a large bathroom, be sure to request it. Otherwise, it seems the larger the room the sm...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kennewick, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Movie themed floors and services, pillow menu, and a staff so friendly you would think they were family. There is a bit of a walk down to shopping, food and restaurants but it is not bad. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Hotel deLuxe? Share your experiences!