“Unique but noisy, small bathrooms and poor location” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   729 SW 15th Avenue, Portland, OR 97205   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 132 hotels in Portland
Vancouver, Canada
“Unique but noisy, small bathrooms and poor location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I read the glowing reviews on TA about this hotel so we booked it for a recent 4 day getaway to Portland.

It's a lovely old hotel with friendly, helpful staff. The public salons are impressive and the restaurant serves good food. But for the price, we wouldn't stay here again.

Poor Location:
The location is further away from the immediate center of Portland where the other, more modern (and comparably priced) hotels are located. Portland has fantastic transit but the hotel is outside that free zone. So every time you want to go somewhere, you have to walk 5-10 mins just to get to where you would have started had you stayed closer to the action.

Noisy:
Unfortunately, being further from the center didn't mean less noisy. Old hotels have old windows and so sound from outside (like rooftop fans, HVAC systems, highway noise, car alarms, etc) transmits readily into the room. Bring your earplugs.
- We had to change rooms after the first night because we were awoken first thing by the loud, thumping sound of housekeeping staff who were loading a laundry chute. One of the reasons for our getaway was to get a restful sleep, so that was a drag.

Cramped Bathrooms:
- The bathrooms are small compared to more modern hotels. There is very little floor space to maneuver in the bathroom and so it is only practical for one person to use at a time. There is no vanity and therefore no counter-top at which two people can get ready at the same time. We tried showering while the other person was using the mirror, but the bathrooms don't have fans so the mirror fogged up quickly. The tub is small so you can't shower together. That means that it takes much longer to get going in the morning because you have to take turns. The result is that you're not in sync with your partner and lose time getting going in the morning.

Little Things:
- The website says that the rooms have WIFI. But when we checked in, the front desk staff tried to charge us $10/day at check-in for that. That felt wrong.
- Unlike every hotel I have ever stayed in my life, there is no free TV listing guide on the room TVs. There is no channel which displays the guide of upcoming shows. You have to scroll up and down through each channel to see what's on right now. The only way to find out what's coming up later is to: First, download and register an app for your iPhone and THEN, you have to pay $1 to get the TV guide. Seriously?

In summary, if you are going to Portland to experience the fabulous downtown, be close to transit, and catch up on your sleep, I'd recommend you stay at one of the more modern hotels. It will cost the same and you'll have a better experience.

Room Tip: Don't get room 830, it's right next to the laundry chute.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you very much for commenting on your recent stay at the deLuxe. I sincerely apologize that your visit did not meet your expectations. We should have addressed most your concerns satisfactorily, which would have improved your experience. I invite you to call me directly to discuss your stay. I hope to convince you to give us another try when you are in Portland. We appreciate your comments and I look forward to hearing from you.
Tim Block, General Manager, 503-219-8623

1,009 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Watson, ACT Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The one night stay was more than I had hoped. The little gym provided good machines and stretching mats. Best of all is the bread pudding for dessert at Gracies--on a one to ten, it is an eleven! Fun movie theme posters and classy, comfortable dining area. Can't say enough positives. . .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
petaluma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I cannot possilby recommend this hotel. They allow guests to bring dogs and I was kept awake for several hours by the dog in the adjacent room. The night before this the hotel allowed a film crew to shoot in the lobby and my Portland friend who was driving me back to the hotel was rudely treated and not allowed to drop us off in front of the hotel. The next evening a wedding closed down the lobby and we had to negotiate a large crowd of intoxicated wedding guests.

I've stayed at several other Portland hotels in previous visits. Even if none of the above had happened, I'd rate this an average hotel. It is close to the Pearl district which I like. But I'd be crazy to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am very sorry to hear of the multiple experiences which resulted in you not enjoying your stay. Please accept my sincere apology for us not handling these circumstances in a satisfactory manner. Although you have indicated you would not choose to return, I do invite you to contact me directly if you do consider returning. I welcome the opportunity to handle your arrangements personally to ensure 100% satisfaction.
Kind regards,
Tim Block - General Manager
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This hotel is as close to perfect as you can get: location, staff, room decor, restaurant and bar. I loved the movie theme throughout. Tasteful not overdone. Gracie's Restaurant is as good as any we ate in, and Portland has amazing ones. Staff is very knowledgeable and just fun to talk with. No one seemed rushed, but still efficient. Within walking distance of theater, restaurants, shopping, parks. Stay here. You'll love it.

Room Tip: If you want a large bathroom, be sure to request it. Otherwise, it seems the larger the room the sm...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kennewick, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Movie themed floors and services, pillow menu, and a staff so friendly you would think they were family. There is a bit of a walk down to shopping, food and restaurants but it is not bad. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I loved my stay at Hotel Deluxe. The rooms are just the right size and retro-chic. The showers are nice and tall for us tall people. The staff are attentive and friendly. I just felt welcome. I also loved my key card...they each have pics from classic movies. I used the gym. It is small but very sufficient for my needs. Was traveling for work and my workmate and I thoroughly enjoyed the walk each morning to the conference downtown. This place has personality. I felt like it was a "true Portland type experience." They even have a pillow menu (though I liked one of the many pillows they provided). We also ate at the resto and had drinks in the Lounge. The drink was awesome i had and the food was great.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a pool (unless it was hidden). I did hear a bit of noise through the wal...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Fantastic hotel, great location, amazing staff. Everything was as expected. The bar is dark and the drinks are great. You feel like you at the Chateau Marmont in LA. They upgraded my room to a corner suite. For the price it can't be beat. They even provided after dinner drinks and dessert at the restaurant they made reservations for me. Wonderful experience

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel deLuxe? Share your experiences!