“This is one cool hotel....” 5 of 5 stars

TA users save 15%!
Ranked #4 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Huntsville, TX
“This is one cool hotel....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I had not heard of the Hotel deLuxe in Portland until a client booked me there for two nights and I owe her big time for that.
The hotel is an old building near the stadium and just two blocks off the rail and bus transit stops. It has been restored elegantly and with a movie theme. I was on the floor dedicated to Billy Wilder and George Cukor and all the decor was movie-related form their era. Even the room key cards are movie-motif.
But, what I really liked was the service and some cool stuff you don't see elsewhere.
It's an old hotel and so the rooms are old, but they have been redone with excellent bedding, flat screen TVs and are very comfortable.
On to the service. When I got to my room I found four feather pillows and I am allergic. However I found a pillow menu. I discovered they would bring me pillows, I could select the type I liked and keep those and they'd take the rest of them away. Cool.
All I had to do was hit the "make it happen" button on the phone.
Also, no Bible. But rather, a reading list of all the books from almost any faith you could conjure up, major and minor. All you have to do, again, was hit the "make it happen" button.
One night I ordered up a burger and I thought I heard the person say it would be up in 15 minutes. Nah. That doesn't happen. Must have been 50 minutes. But, in just 15 minutes, there it was.
The clock in the room also is an iPod dock. Cool.
The hotel has a restaurant as well as a bar that seem to be destinations for locals. Service in both was excellent as was the food.
I read in some reviews that there are complaints about noise. It is a downtown hotel, but I travel with ear plugs so had no problem. I also recall reading one review that said there were not enough TV channel selections, but I didn't find that to be the case at all.
One of the things I really liked was the proximity to the red line (two minute walk), for the airport, and of course you can transfer to other lines and get to most parts of the city and you have the bus options as well. I needed a cab one day and it was there within 10 minutes.
I loved the ornate lobby and classy restaurant and the desire to be different. It all added up to a great experience. OK, if you are someone who just doesn't like "old," then maybe you want to go for a new, sterile place. But if you like the feel of being in a city, of connecting with past eras, you like elegant service and public transit, then I'd strongly recommend this hotel. When I return to Portland, next time with my wife, it will be where we stay.

Room Tip: I was recovering for foot surgery and at check in I asked about the room...what they were going to p...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We spent two nights at the comfortable, snazzy, convenient deLuxe in downtown Portland. The lobby is elegant and retro - try a manhattan on a cozy couch and watch the comings and goings from the popular bar just off the lobby. Our corner room was spacious with a dreamy king-size bed -- and a walk in closet and marble bathroom with my husband's favorite shower ever. The staff was unobtrusive, helpful and friendly. But best of all, one gets a very quiet night sleep within easy walking distance of the very lively Pearl District, stadium and downtown. The hotel is on a MAX line so no car is needed, although valet parking is provided.

Room Tip: Corner suites are remarkably large.
Woodinville, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We stayed at the hotel over the weekend of February 4th and 5th. It is not for everyone since it is remodeled older building and will have some compromises from a new hotel. The hotel is beautifully decorated in 50's Hollywood stars glamour. We got the larger king feature room, very nice and spacious for a very reasonable price - beat most other comparable hotels in Portland. Our window was over the light rail tracks and we could hear it but it wasn't distracting. Service was outstanding, The waiter in Gracie's (dining room) was very helpful in providing us maps of the valley for winery tours and downtown directions. The breakfasts were outstanding. The Drifter bar was cramped and service was Ok. There was a private event in Gracie's so a number of hotel guests were in the bar. Valet parking was $28 per night. Be prepared. The spray shampoo and the body wash bottles were a little odd. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Get the King Feature room, provides more elbow room.
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a central hotel in Portland with some charm for a romantic weekend away. Hotel deLuxe did not disappoint! The staff was attentive, helpful and warm. The hotel was beautiful. The rooms were clean (although a little small) and tastefully decorated. The location was near perfect - walking distance to everything.Would recommend a stay here!

Spokane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Hotel staff was great beginning with the doorman on the first entrance. Front desk staff was excellent and knew the area well--offered enough information to be personable but not too much information that we didn't want to ask.

Room Tip: Not much for views, but if you are out and about, you don't need a view from inside the hotel.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

The hotel lobby is very attractive and staff was welcoming and polite. We booked a double deluxe room and I was suprised at how tiny the room is would like to have been informed of the larger king superior for a small price difference.
we went to the lobby to participate in happy hour at 610 and there were no available seats and I asked about ordering and taking it to the room and was told no. So we ordered room service. I would return however in a larger room.
Gave a 4* because I love the theme of hollywood glamour.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
PortlandOregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel deLuxe in November. A family member was getting married near by and we decided to stay at the hotel with the out of town relatives. It was great fun. The location was very convenient and we were able to walk to the church for the service and reception. We had a wonderful brunch the next day in the hotel restaurant. Our room was very comfortable and I just loved the decor. I would stay here again for a romantic night out!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel deLuxe? Share your experiences!