“Looking forward” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Looking forward”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I often review hotels on the West Coast part of Canada and into US, since my radio listeners love to travel around these parts. Staying here for two nights from Sunday, Its always nice to review the more boutique styles, will be completing this review after and on the airwaves of Vancouver!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Hotel Vintage Plaza - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Bali D;
Thank you for adding your feedback of our boutique hotel on this site and i would love to hear more on the air with your show in Vancouver! We appreciate your professional addition and feedback and hope to see you and your listeners in the weeks and months to come. Thank you again, Sandy Burkett, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Bainbridge Island, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We're getting along in years and for the last 15 or so we've been exurbic, living ifor a decade in the countrysie between Charlottesville andRichmond and Charlottesville and for the last five on Bainbridge Island, 8 miles west across the Puget Sound from Seattle. Though enjoying many of the modern age's comforts and, no surprise, Bainbridge Island, an island of 26,000 that's about the size and shape of Manhattan on a steady flow of super-sized, sugar-saturated soda, is still a pretty idyllic, quiet, pretty pretty place. So, as former New Yorkers, when we want to have a few days of the urban experience, we head to Portland, a wonderfully vibrant, self-confident city with a great downtown, full of life, foot traffic, good restaurants, shops and feel. And when we do, we head to one of two Kemptons - the Monaco or the Vintage Plaza. The Monaco is the more staid and traditional of the two, though the wall paper in its rooms probably sparked an acid flashback. The Vintage Plaza is less flashy, but like the Monaco, extremely comfortable. It's convenient to everything in Portland - Powell's, the restaurants in The Pearl, Nordstroms, the MAX light raidl and the Scholar's Garden. At both the Monaco and Vintage Plaza, You're made to feel like a guest, not an overnight stay. At both, the staff is friendly, asking you if you'ure having a good day or need to know anything, freely and knowledgeably offering recommendations on good restaurants depending on your taste and circumstances, hapy to try to address special circumstances or needs, and uncanny in giving good directions. When they say a place you're trying to get to is three blocks, it's three blocks, not the usual "oh, ten, maybe fifteen minutes from here." As I said, Vintage Plaza's rooms aren't as big or flashy as the Monaco's, but the beds are just as comfortable, well-kept and welcoming as the Monaco's - which are all three. There's a reason that Kempton hotels score so well among Trip Advisor users and both Vintage Plaza and The Monaco in Portland are perfect examples why. A great hotel offers a great stay is a great way to bring out what's great in a city - like Portland.

Room Tip: It's a dog-friendly place and , even better, the dog owners let you pet their puppies if you'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lee J;
I just read your review (yes I am playing catch up- after the busiest summer Portland has seen).
I wanted to extend my gratitude for your review of the Vintage Plaza and our sister hotel, the Monaco. Your "Urban-ific" description of Portland was perfect and the highlights of each property, as well as the city, well thought out for the unfamiliar traveler. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with future Portland adventurers. We do look forward to your return, when rock - fever sets in, you need some urban flavor, we will be waiting... just moments south, for your return. All the best until then, Sandy Burkett, GM
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed there for two nights on a business trip and was truly impressed by the friendliness of the staff. I arrived on a Sunday late afternoon and found a pretty lively LGBT party in the lobby. It turns out the hotel has a wine tasting every Sunday afternoon for free. The Sangria was delicious. I am drunk even before dinner!

My room was on the 3rd floor and absolutely cannot hear any noise from the festivities downstairs. The hotel is a converted older hotel and it was some twist and turn on the way to the rooms. My room was large and there is a stuffed toy dog on the bed in addition to all the pillows. The bathroom was large and nicely decorated but not overtly ostentatiously. You have the standard granite countertop and the sunken tub.

One poster mentioned about the musky smell in the lobby. I think it is from the visiting dogs since the place is very friendly fido-friendly.

By the way, the Italian restaurant downstairs is really good and the hotel is within walking distance to Voodoo Donuts, Stumptown Cafe, Clyde Commons and Powell Books...the hippest, sexiest places, making San Diego and LA look ugly and tame by comparison. There are so many goodlooking people walking around these couple blocks.

Absolutely a blast! Sexy place for the young and young at heart.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kyle92131;
I want to let you know that not many reviews make me laugh out loud in my office - yours certainly did! It was the last line "The front desk also provide all kind of amenities including mouthwash, combs and nail clipper....in case, a hot date comes by......I wish!" Thank you-
The rest of your review of noting all the attractions close to our location and the convenience there in, was fabulous. I apprecieated the detail that you highlighted of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back from San Diego, and who knows... next time you may get lucky! Enjoy your journey, Sandy Burkett, GM
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night stay. We really liked the staff, the free bicycles (with helmets and locks), the hosted wine tastings at 5 p.m., and the fresh coffee in the mornings. For the first three nights we had a room that was a bit cramped but had a huge closet. As members of the Kimpton loyalty program we were given a free upgrade to the townhouse suite (sunken Jacuzzi for two, wet bar, two baths, living room, etc.) for the last two nights. The staff was fantastic, and the 3-speed bikes (available on a first-come, first-served basis, so get up early to claim one) were brand new. The only negatives for me were the beds, which crested in the middle and sagged on the sides, the disappointingly small fitness center and no pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Julie B;
5 nights with us and it sounds like you loved it! Thank you for the overview of both rooms you were able to enjoy - I did make note of the mattress issue for our capital planning. We hope that you have the chance to come back to Portland again. We appreciate your mention of our KIT program and the value that adds to our guests stay. Enjoy your journey, Sandy Burkett, GM
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We sayed at this Hotel because it is associated with the restaurant we had our rehearsal dinner for my Son's wedding/ My entire family enjoyed our block of rooms. The service was first rate. We needed help with wine ect and they sent a valet to help. The room was perfect although small. I would stay there again. Great location, good service caring staff. All things that add up to a great experience.

Green Features: Very up to date. We choose not to change sheets everyday
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Megan A from Mill Valley;
5 STAR Reviews make my day! It sounds like you and your Son's wedding went famously! It doesn't get any better than hearing that our team was caring, quick and attentive. Your note that it is a great place for family reunions also highlighted the fact that our team served you well. I am thrilled. Thank you so much, we hope to see you return to us again next year (if not sooner).
Warmest Regards,
Sandy Burkett, GM
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I wanted to take a little trip away from our actual vacation to seattle for one night. We drove to portland and he chose this hotel. It was amazing to say the least! Service was great, the room was beautiful. I do agree with other reviews that it is very pricey and paying $37 for valet is a little crazy but if you want to sleep in extreme luxury there is a price to pay for it. The restaurant, Pazzo was also great. Our waiter was attentive and made great suggestions for us. Truly, staying in this hotel was the cherry on top of a great mini-trip to a beautiful city.

Room Tip: We had a room with a great view, however if you want to pay a little less you can get a room withou...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Gwen R from Sand Antonio;
I loved reading your review and your description of your stay with us "Truly, staying in this hotel was the cherry on top of a great mini-trip to a beautiful city." 5 Stars and that feedback, ya all come back now, ya hear! We have a new Kimpton hotel opening in your city next year. Watch our website for updates! All the best and thank you again, Sandy Burkett, GM
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed here last minute. I was upgraded upon arrival--nice! Great service and wish I'd been there longer so I could use their bikes. My room was adequate, quiet, and clean. Adequate means it was on the smallish side but had all that I needed. The bathroom was a bit tired, but very clean. In the last couple of years I have stayed at 3 other Portland area hotels. Of the four, this hotel had the best location, and best customer service. Of the four, this is one of two where I would return. What I liked about the Hotel Vintage Plaza is the quirkiness. It's not your run-of-the-mill hotel; it's got personality. I priced out other hotel rooms and this one had the highest star rating and the lowest price. I also liked that I had a stuffed animal friend on my bed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear InvernessGal;
Thank you for noting that during the past few years you had stayed at several Portland hotels and that your experience here was the cleanest and the best in location and service. We look forward to your next trip from Bellevue, ensuring that we exceed your expectations again. I appreciated reading your entire review. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Been to Hotel Vintage Plaza - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!