“Service is 5 Star” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Service is 5 Star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Vintage is in a great location in the heart of downtown Portland. The famous food-cart park (must be 70 or more) is two blocks away, and dozens of restaurants are within a 15 minute walk. Service was outstanding, among the best I have experienced. Through a misunderstanding with a colleague, I was only booked for 2 nights instead of 3. And, the room assigned to me faced the street, which is the kiss of death for a light sleeper such as myself. Brian worked some magic to get me the third night and a quiet room...and the room was VERY quiet, and clean. I discovered to my delight it was a suite, with comfortable furnishings. Kudos to this property for allowing the guest to waive having the room serviced. I much prefer to arrange things for myself on a short stay and not have to rearrange them every evening. And, who really needs clean sheets and towels every night?

Here's what prevented me from rating this 5 Stars overall:
- a musty smell in the hall and room
- in this huge suite, no easily accessible outlets on the walls, including behind the desk - and none in the lamps.
-a tiny, dingy shower stall in need of replacement - in a huge bathroom that could accommodate a great shower in addition to the existing jaccuzi tub
- no digital cable channels
-no coffee machine. Ok, it's Portland, a town full of coffee shops - but I was up at 5am with no caffine :(

This is a very good hotel that would be 5+ Stars with some tweaks.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room if you are a light sleeper. No car noise to contend with, at the expense o...
Green Features: Love the ability to waive having the room serviced. I prefer to arrange my belongings and the bed and not have to rearrange them every night. And I also don't need towels and sheets washed - it's a waste of water and energy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Hotel Vintage Plaza - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear AgentSmithDC;
Thank you for our 5STAR Service rating, as well as detailing the issues during your stay. I would encourage all of our guests to let the front desk know of any issues while you are here.
We have coffee makers available complimentary on request for those that like coffee like I do. (Especially at 5 am). I will be connecting with Brian to see if he remembers you - based upon your review so that we can address the other room issues that you discribed. I am also always available to connect with so that we can earn your full 5 Star review on your next visit!
Until then, continue to enjoy the journey, Sandy Burkett, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I absolutely loved this place so much that we stayed two additional days in Portland! The staff is so helpful and polite. The bell hops dress like mobsters from the 50's! While there go to FIRESIDE for dinner. It's pricy but you will have one of the best dinners ever. They offer pallet cleansers in between courses. A must!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Polite from Dallas;
Your recent submission made my morning! I was thrilled to read that you loved the experience so much that you extended your stay 2 additional days! Your 5 Star review was so gracious and we appreciate that you took the time to share your stay with others. We hope that you have the chance to come back and visit again! Happy trails until then! Sandy Burkett, GM
Silver Spring, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We're big fans of Kimpton hotels all of which provide eclectic accommodations, friendly service an a few extras like free use of bikes and the daily happy hour. Vintage Plaza was no exception.I had emailed early the day of our arrival informing staff that it was my wife's birthday and could they possibly set out a bottle off wine and chocolates for her. She got the wine and chocolates but also a bunch of balloons and a card full of birthday wished from staff. Nice touch.

Staff was quite friendly and willing to make suggestions regarding a couple of day trips and local spots to eat. One spot suggested for dinner was right next door and we enjoyed it so much we went back two nights later. The hotel restaurant was suggested for breakfast and we were not disappointed. Best French toast I ever ate.

We stayed in the starlight suite on the 10th floor. It's a smaller room with a queen bed and valuted glass ceiling so you could get as much light as you wished day or night. We really enjoyed the view.
Only two minor issues. The headboard in our room was in the design of star shapes on a quilted fabric. Unfortunately, parts of the headboard where rubbed raw and the facbric was cracking. It certainly wasn't a deal killer but did take away from the abience. The only other minor problem was that all bets were off regards to our keys actually working. They did not about half the time during our two-night trip.

When all is said, we"d go back. In fact, we already booked two rooms for four people for an upcoming stay in August.

Dear Fortunesmiled;
I agree the french toast is exceptional indeed! Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Vintage Plaza and for giving your feedback on the fabulous service and food at Pazzo. I was pleased to see that service was great from every staff member that you met during your entire stay. We will be checking the locks, appreciate that you let us know. I want to appologize for the inconvenience. We are here 24 -7 to take care of any issues like this, though we truly try to ensure you don't have simple issues like your key cards not working. The best part of your review was that you are returning in August with 2 rooms! We look forward to your return! All the best, Sandy Burkett
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Hotel Vintage Plaza was the hotel of choice for our recent wedding and it was a truly wonderful experience. Most of our out of town guests stayed at the hotel and we hosted our rehearsal dinner in the Wine Cellar. The sales staff was absolutely wonderful to work with! They answered my questions before I could even think them up and they made all of the planning and coordinating so easy. The Wine Cellar is also a fabulous venue - it was perfect for the dinner and everyone enjoyed the food and the ambience. A great experience all around - I highly recommend and I will certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Hotel Vintage Plaza - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Mrs. F- PDX:

Congratulations on your recent wedding and we are thrilled that it was a truly wonderful experience. I was so excited to see that we were able to host your out of town guests and your rehearsal dinner in the Wine Cellar. I will share this review with our sales staff, thank you for letting others know that they are wonderful to work with! I agree that our Wine Cellar is also a fabulous venue - I was happy to see that it was the perfect for the dinner and everyone enjoyed the food and the ambience.Your recommendation means the world and we look forward to your return. Congratulations again, Sandy Burkett, GM
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

It was our second stay at this boutique hotel. Each time we were able to get a bit of a deal through their website, as a part of their rewards program ( last minute deal), so it only cost about 140 with tax. They offer valet parking for 37/night or you can park across the street for 20-24.night (like we did), very convenient. It is a very clean, comfortable beds, spacious rooms, good minibar and they always give you a coupon, free wifi at fairly good speed. We had a late drink at the bar and breakfast at the restaurant on-site, both great value and very delicious. Also, has a great location downtown and you can literally walk to a number of different restaurants and bars. Will definitely return again.

Dear Jorocad;
From start to finish your stay read like a story book to me! Thank you for choosing to stay with us a second time and listing all the benefits of being a Kimpton In Touch Member, for future travelers... with all the complimentary benefits like wifi, raid the minibar and discounted rates! Your ending is our happily ever after, ... "Will definitely return again." Wow your review made my day. Thank you, you are truly gracious. We look forward to making memories again on your next visit!
All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Montecito, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable but very small for a Deluxe King room with a view of the rooftop and air conditioners of another building. It cost $719 for two nights in a pet friendly room. Not worth the money.

The River Place Hotel a sister hotel which I stayed prior referred me to this hotel; which can not compare to the Service, Cost and Views they offered. The River Place far superior.

The staff were nice and pleasant but it was hit and miss on the valet guys.

The area is surrounded by homeless people which I did not understand. I did feel safe at night only because it didn't get dark until about 10pm. The homeless people ask for money at every turn and there are a lot of people that smoke in this city on the streets.

Dear Curiousreddog;

Your review of our hotel was appreciated. I am sorry however that you did not feel that you received a fair price value for your two day stay. Hotel and airfare pricing are similar, it is on demand. Here in the great Pacific NW there is a premium for anticipated sunshine. Almost anytime October thru April could we have a deal for you! There were many additional comments that I am available to discuss, and would appreciate the opportunity. Please reach out because at Kimpton we do want to develop long term guests for life. Thank you again, hope to hear from you. Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett, GM
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I checked in to the Vintage Plaza with my mini poodle Leo. We were greeted warmly by the staff who tended to our every need. The room was beautifully appointed and the bed was extremely comfortable. I chose the Vintage Plaza because they did not charge a pet fee. I'm sure I could not have picked a better hotel for our visit to Portland. The Hotel is well located downtown near shopping and great restaurants. I highly recemmend the Vintage Plaza and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: My room was small but adequate. I did notice on my way out that there are larger rooms with sofas t...
Green Features: always happy to stay in hotel with environmentally-friendlay practices. Glad to see they are doing their part.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Fran L. from Seattle;
Thank you for visiting us with Leo! I was pleased to see that we anticipated and ensured that you enjoyed the room, staff and our location. I truly appreciate your recommendation on this site and appreciate all the detail that you shared. We look forward to your next trip with Leo to Portland and I am thrilled to see you can't wait to return. Happy trails, Sandy Burkett, GM

Been to Hotel Vintage Plaza - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!