“Loved it! Great location, beautiful room” 5 of 5 stars

Save Up To 20%
Ranked #8 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
colorado
“Loved it! Great location, beautiful room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I chose this hotel because if its location, right in the heart of Portland. It's an old hotel that has been beautifully renovated. They have free wine in the lobby between 5-6p, and the hotel staff could not have been more helpful. They helped us with a hard to get extra night at the Vintage Park in Seattle for the great internet rate we already had. They have underground parking but if you are not planning on using your car they suggested another garage across the street at half the price. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had an upper story room in the"14" series. It is a long room where the entrance to the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Hotel Vintage Plaza - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear ColoradoVirginia;
Thank you so much for sharing your experience of our fabulous Portland Location.... Lovely Room and the Staff's level of Genuine Care for others to see. We truly appreciate the detail that you shared with future Portland visitors. Please come back soon, thank you too for sharing your review with future friends! Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for close to 2 weeks and had a good experience. The hotel was comfortable, albeit a bit old and the staff were friendly and helpful. I had the corner room on the top floor (the Starlight room) and was originally pretty thrilled that there were sloping windows with automatic blinds on them to let the sun in. Unfortunately, the room looked into a bank across the road on one side and another hotel on the other, so I usually kept the blinds down. The lobby was large and spacious with plenty of seating and I think that the hotel offers bicycles for those who would like to ride. The hotel is centrally located, a couple of blocks from Pioneer Square.

Pros: Nice bedding, large space, staff was always very friendly and helpful, always willing to answer my questions and to point me to someone who could help me. I also enjoyed that they had orange infused water in the lobby throughout the day and Starbucks coffee and tea in the mornings, which is great when you're in a rush. They also had wine tasting sessions in the evenings, which I unfortunately did not take advantage of. Wi-Fi was strong and free if you registered with your email. One major plus was that the hotel offered things like hair curling irons, stain removal wipes,TSA compliant bags, free of charge if you asked them for it.

Cons: The room was clean, except for when I unfurled a towel and found a hair in it. This happened twice. One of the lamps could not be switched off and I resorted to pulling the plug on it. The walls were thin (I could hear the woman in the next room on a video call with her young daughter) and there were times I jolted awake from the sound of the door shutting in the next room because it sounded like my own door closing. The air conditioning can be noisy and the elevators were slow and jerky. One disappointment was that there was no water provided in the rooms.

I still enjoyed my stay a lot despite the minor inconveniences. To note, pets are welcome in this hotel, which I liked, although people who are not dog friendly may be taken aback.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Hotel Vintage Plaza - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear PrisVivienne from Singapore, Singapore!

What a gift to serve a guest for close to 2 weeks. Thank you for your thorough review of our hotel, the exceptional service, as well as our accomodations. I appreciate your acknowledgement and mention of our staff being friendly and helpful, that you had the corner room on the top floor (the Starlight room) and you loved the light and the sloping windows with automatic blinds on them to let the sun in. You had also highlighted that we do offer bicycles for those who would like to ride, complimentary. Again, thank you for noting the elements of your experience in such masterful detail! Two things that jumped out to me "staff was always very friendly and helpful, always willing to answer my questions and to point me to someone who could help me" and our recent investment in our guest connectivity: "Wi-Fi was strong and free if you registered with your email." We appreciate your choice to stay with us, the time it took to share with future travelers your experience and that we have been part of your Portland journey. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

From my arrival at the hotel, everything was perfect. I took the train from the airport and had a short walk to the hotel. At the hotel, the doorman smiled and opened every door. The desk clerk welcomed me and gave me a $10 raid-the-minibar coupon and described the nearby lunch options (all with homemade bread...yum). My corner room was clean and inviting with windows on all of the exterior walls. I was on the 5th floor, and I never waited more than 2 minutes for an elevator. The catered food for out meeting was really good and attractively displayed. I would book again in an instant.

Room Tip: Ask what special rooms are available. There are many choices.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Foodist50 from Atlanta;
Thank you for your start to finish review of your hotel experience here at the Vintage Plaza. I agree with you that Portland has a fabulous transit system, I encourage our travelers to take a plane, then the train from the airport and just a quick jaunt to our hotel. Portland is a fabulous walking city! Our downtown location is close to everything, with so much to do and see! I truly appreciated your description of our arrival to departure service consistency.The best part of your review for me was that you would come back and rebook in an instant. Thanks too for your room tip for future travelers. Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett, GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a dog friendly hotel, this is an excellent place to stay. The hotel vintage plaza goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Portland is also a great place to vacation with dogs.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Eriktesch - I appreciated that you noted our geuine attention to our four legged friends. Portland is a dog friendly city. Just 2.2 miles west of the hotel is Forest Park and the Portland Japanese Gardens. Forest Park is the largest forested urban park in the United States (approx 5,400 acres). Many trails to explore including the 30 mile Wildwood trail, all pet friendly. Walking just east ABOUT 1/2 mile you come to Waterfront Park, which is on the Willamette River. This is also a great walk either with your dog or to explore the city. It is over 30 acres along the river, right in the heart of Portland. Our summer market is there on Saturdays, as well as local festivals and weekend activities. Thank you again for inviting other travelers to enjoy our hospitality and Portland. Your review was much appreciated! Warmest regards, Sandy Burkett, GM
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We've always enjoyed stays in Kimpton properties in both Portland and Seattle. Our recent overnight at the Hotel Vintage Plaza was no exception. The doormen, car attendants, front desk staff all extraordinarily welcoming and quick to ask if there's anything additional they can help you with during your stay. Breakfasts were delicious, once more with excellent attention to service. We look forward to our next stay in a Kimpton!

P.S. We particularly enjoy the fact that in these accommodations, because of their older, smaller sites, each room has a decorative personality of its own. Charming!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dianna from Walla Walla ~ Wonderful neighbors in Washington Wine Country ~ welcome to the other side of the river, the Willamette that is... and the Columbia as well! We focus our wine hour on NW Wines, the incredible Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley is a wine hour favorite. Having just moved from the Vintage Park in Seattle, I am pleased that we have served you in both locations. Your feedback and praise of the team here from the doormen, car attendants, front desk staff all extraordinarily welcoming and helpful is most appreciated. Thank you for also mentioning that Pazzo is a fabulous way to wake up with delicious breakfast offerrings. Our goal is to always deliver excellent attention to service. We look forward to your next stay in a Kimpton! Best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed here for several nights in May and thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. Great location, a few minutes walk to Powell's City of Books (a must-see if you are a fan of bookstores), restaurants, shopping and the city centre. We choose a Starlight room, and loved it. It was roomy, a little bit quirky and had a great view from the expansive windows. The staff were all friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed the generous wine tastings held in the lobby each afternoon. The bed was comfy and everything was clean and well presented. This was our first experience of the Kimpton chain, and we were very happy with our choice.

Room Tip: Have a little splurge and go for a starlight room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Finkiyaya;
From Melbourne to Portland - I loved reading your review, recommendations and experience of our hotel and Portland. You were with us for several nights and had the opportunity to thoroughly enjoy our hotel, it's great location, I love the quick jaunt to Powell's City of Books, sometimes I take my lunch break there. Thank you for the shout out about our fun Starlight room, I am glad that you loved it, quirkiness & all. I love our staff, they are friendly and helpful. Then topping off your evenings in Portland our generous wine tastings held in the lobby. I am thrilled that this was your first experience of the Kimpton and that you were very happy with your choice. We look forward to welcoming you back! Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett, GM

Been to Hotel Vintage Plaza - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!