“Solid hotel, but had wi-fi problems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

You added Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality to your Saves list
Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97204-3390 (Formerly Hotel Fifty) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$30 Off per Night!
Ranked #45 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Ottawa, Canada
“Solid hotel, but had wi-fi problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The staff were great staff, and the restaurant was very good. My major disappointment was not only in very poor wifi throughout the hotel but especially in my room, but in the fact that I emailed the hotel my concerns that the wifi during my stay was very intermittent - often web pages did not load, and Skype/FaceTime was not possible due to constant cuts in connectivity. The email was forwarded to IT but I never heard back, and the wifi did not improve. This is usually a technical issue, but the lack of a response and failure to address the issue was extremely disappointing.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We loved our 4 night stay. We had a wonderful balcony looking towards the river and you could even see Mt Hood on the clear days. The King sized bed was very comfortable. Room was clean and had everything one could need. There was no bath, just a shower, not a problem but worth a mention. I was a little concerned we might have issues with noise from the busy road, but didn't hear it at all at night. We arrived very late at night and Chystal was fast to get us checked in and settled and direct us to bar round the corner for a beer. Every member of staff we spoke to was helpful and they all gave good activity and dining suggestions. We had a breakfast in the restaurant which was good.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hello AmeliaTCanada,
Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our comfortable balcony guest room, bed, and our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. We love our newly renovated venue! I'm glad Chrystal got you settled upon arrival and found you a place to get a cold one after you long trip south.
Thank you AmeliaTCanada. Please come back and see us soon.
Brookfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Was in Portland for a work conference and booked this hotel after looking at the reviews. I was not disappointed--what a great find! I loved that it wasn't huge, it had a nice trendy/modern vibe, friendly staff, and a nice location across from the riverfront park. It was also just a short walk to the light rail stop and easily walkable to everything downtown. The room was spotless, bed was comfy, shower was great, and no problems with the wifi. My only complaint was the duvet--I prefer a separate sheet and comforter--and it got quite hot while in bed. When checking in, I was given a $10 discount to the hotel restaurant/bar - the Bottle + Kitchen - and had a nice dinner during Portland Dining Month. Oh yeah, so what's the best part about the Hotel Rose? The free pineapple cupcakes offered to guests each afternoon. Yum! I loved Portland and this hotel made my trip even better. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: May want a room that faces the parking structure - even though the view isn't as great, it's...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Hello pobrecito33,
Thank you for your kind review! I'm happy that you found us and that you had such an enjoyable time. We always love to hear the positive comments about our staff so thank you for that. I will be sure to pass along your comments. I was also pleased that our location worked out well for you, and that you found out afternoon coffee and Pineapple cupcakes. You can't eat just one!
Thank you again pobrecito33. We hope to see you back very soon.
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was very pleased with my selection of the Hotel Rose during a recent conference in Portland. The staff was friendly, my room was really nicely decorated and comfortable - in fact, one of the nicer rooms I've seen - and the location is great. Having a Keurig coffee maker and complimentary water were nice touches. My only complaint with the room was the bedding. Rather than bottom and top sheets with blanket and/or duvet the queen sized bed had two exceedingly warm duvets. It was quite weird and frankly even a single duvet was too warm to be used. A blanket was provided in the closet but it would have been nice to have a top sheet. Aside from that I was really very satisfied with the room. My other complaint was that one day during my stay I arrived back at my room at 4:45 p.m. only to find it had never been serviced. I find that pretty unacceptable and housekeeping didn't show until 5:10 at which point I refused it as I needed a nap. On the bright side, the hotel's restaurant - Bottle & Kitchen - is terrific. I had two excellent meals there. The menu is very smart with items that will appeal to the bar crowd (it's a combo bar and restaurant) as well as those wanting a finer dining experience and the prices very reasonable for the quality provided (the most expensive entree was $23). The appetizers are inventive (try the chorizo-stuffed, bacon-wrapped date) and the entrees delicious. I had a superb "curry" sweet potato ravioli dish one night and the burger and fries the next. Fries may be a simple thing but these were the best I'd had in years. I was not impressed by the wine list but I did have a very good hard cider the second night. Both servers I had were top notch. I ate at the Veritable Quandary but frankly enjoyed the food and ambiance more at Bottle & Kitchen. It's worth going to even if you're not a hotel guest.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Hello Reader47,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. It sounds like you had a fantastic time. I'm pleased that you were able to try our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. It has great ambiance and the food and service is over the top. Thank you for your comments regarding our new bedding, "The Naked Experience". Please know that we do have top sheets available upon request. We are also more than happy to prioritize your housekeeping service. Just let us know and we will make that happen.
Thank you Reader47. We look forward to welcoming you back to Portland and Hotel Rose very soon.
Cocoa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2015

The hotel needs updating but the room was clean and pleasant. I did not bother with the gym because of the awful smell. New floor? Convenient to shopping, food and the rail. Nice view of Mt Hood one sunny day from a room on the river side.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Good morning Miche S,
Thank you for your review. We have completed the remodel of our main floor, restaurant, and corridors. We are planning some exterior upgrades later this spring and a few in room items later this year. I hope you will return soon so you can experience the improvements.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2015

Great location, friendly staff, and very comfortable bedding! There isn't much more to be desired of a hotel, but Hotel Rose provides it and more. It has nice style and decor, a good restaurant and bar, and an awesome location (super close to all public transit and near downtown hot spots).

Only downside to be aware of is that there's a train across the river that is within earshot of the hotel. You can't hear the train, but if it blows it horn, you can definitely hear that. The hotel provides ear plugs in case it's bothersome, but it wasn't a big issue for me.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hello Jasonm1a,
Thank you for your review from your most recent stay at Hotel Rose. We truly do value your feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that you were able to try our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. They do a fantastic job! I'm also happy that you like the remodel of our lobby, restaurant, and corridors. There is more to come on the exterior soon.
Thank you Jasonm1a. We hope your travels have you back in Portland very soon.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2015

We wanted a quick getaway to explore Portland for a few days. Booked through a mega-search-deal site, and got Hotel Rose. We LOVED our stay here! I called to inquire about early check-in (which was quickly arranged) and mentioned it was my husband's birthday. We arrived around 2pm, greeted by friendly front desk staff, and made our way to our 5th floor waterfront view room! And to top it off, the staff had left a bottle of bubbles and a sweet treat with a birthday card. This is above and beyond service.

Definitely take advantage of the complimentary bikes if you can... the quick (<3 mi) route around the waterfront is a relaxing ride for all ages and a great way to be outside in the city. The yellow cruisers do stand out, but in a good way - a local asked to take a pic of the bikes because she thought they were cool!

Got a drink and dessert one night in the hotel restaurant - delish! Pretty good dining option right on site, and that's saying something for the foodie scene that is PDX.

Self parked for $15/night, easy peasy.

Only downsides is that a room with waterfront views also comes with noise (cars, boats, and the occasional train even). Hotel Rose thought ahead, and leaves you earplugs bedside, but those still didn't help me one night (my partner had no issue with the noise).

Good location is you're interested in NW / SW parts of the city. Take an easy <10min walk over the Morrison Street bridge and you're in SE (check out Hair of the Dog, and the ping pong bar!)

Would definitely stay again, and recommend!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, March 10, 2015
Good afternoon JennyGWU09,
We are so pleased that you stayed with us while visiting Portland and appreciate your kind comments. I am also happy to hear that you were able to try our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. The place has great food, service, and a fun atmosphere. I'm glad your husband was surprised with the bubbles and sweat treat. Maybe you can come back down for YOUR birthday!
Thank you JennyGWU09. We hope to see you soon.
Terry Hanley

Been to Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!