“Darling place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

You added Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality to your Saves list
Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97204-3390 (Formerly Hotel Fifty) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$30 Off per Night!
Ranked #44 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Chicago, Illinois
“Darling place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I came here for work and was not disappointed. This is a darling hotel with friendly and welcoming staff members. The pineapple theme is pretty cute: they always have mini pineapple cupcakes for guests by the front desk.

Our room was located on the 5th floor around the corner from the elevator. It had a decent view, two queen sized beds, and a very clean bathroom. The beds were very comfortable and I never had issues with getting a good night's sleep.

I don't recommend eating breakfast at the restaurant located in the hotel, the prices were steep for mediocre food. I do recommend getting drinks there in the late afternoon. The waitstaff was fantastic and very accommodating when it came to splitting the check multiple ways.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Good evening Fran A,
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We always love to hear positive comments about our team of hospitality professionals so thank you for that. I will make sure to share with them.
I'm happy you also enjoyed our comfortable room, delicious pineapple cupcakes served daily in the lobby, and our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. I will review your comment regarding breakfast with our chef and restaurant manager.
Thank you again Fran A. I do hope you are able to return and see us soon.
Terry Hanley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Overall, this is a decent hotel although it could be much better. We really enjoyed the view of the river from the fifth floor.

There were a series of very minor problems that wouldn't have bothered us too much individually. Cumulatively, however, it was annoying.

First, we're happy that the hotel is pet-friendly for a fee of $20 per night. The website advertises that you're provided with a dog bed, bowl, poop bags and treats. We told the hotel in advance that we were bringing a dog and this fact was confirmed at check-in. But, the dog items were not in our room. We called the front desk who told me the items were being sent up. We were later provided with a bowl and poop bags. We had to call the front desk again to ask about the bed and treats. While we got the bed, the kitchen was out of treats and they wouldn't be available for a few days.

Second, only one of my two room keys actually worked and front desk staff were quite confused when I asked them to fix the key.

Third, the room was quite warm. We tried to adjust the temperature with the thermostat but it didn't seem to work.

Fourth, we had a few small problems with room service. We ordered an item listed on the bar menu but not included on the room service menu. We asked if we could still order it in our room and were told that was no problem. While the food was very good, it arrived without cutlery and we were overcharged. When we tried to correct the bill at check-out, we were told to talk to the manager at the restaurant. The manager was not at work and nobody at the restaurant or the hotel had authority to remove the extra fee. So, we were told that we had to pay the full amount and we would be credited later.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are quieter than the ones facing the tram tracks. I previously stayed in...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Good evening TorontoLeesar,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about you stay at Hotel Rose. We truly do appreciate your feedback as it helps us make the necessary adjustments to improve for our future valued guests. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your waterfront room. I do apologize that we fell short on delivering during your stay. I have reviewed your comments with our front desk and restaurant manager so that they can remind their teams on what is needed to meet and exceed our guests expectations. I do hope you will try us the next time you are in Portland as I know we will be better.
Bay Village, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel Rose a great value for the money.
Here are a few things I liked about my stay at the Hotel Rose
Location: One block from the TriMet red line stop, easy, to get to or from the PDX airport. Centrally located for easy walk to almost anything in downtown Portland. Across the street from the Westside Riverwalk
The Hotel: The lobby floor, look down at the nice flooring when you arrive. Comfortable bed and choice of two different pillow firmness on the bed already. Clean rooms. Staff helpful and able to answer any question I may have had. Free bottled water in the room is a nice touch. Food carts on SE 3rd.just a few blocks away open late on weekends for some good inexpensive food.
Things that where bearable, but not a deal breaker for me:
The lighting, I would have liked a little more lighting in both the bathroom and room itself. The entrance to bathroom, opened up right into the room right next to the bed. The noise level from both the inside the hotel and the outside the hotel (I had a inside, off the street room) may be bothersome to some. I could occasionally hear the street cars in the morning and the trains across the river a night. Lucky for me I'm a pretty sound sleeper. They also provide earplugs in room if you need them. The in room safe I did not discover until the second day, when I opened up the night stand next to the bed. The Tommy Bahama traveling collection of bathroom soaps, shampoo, and conditioners, It's just me, I don't care for products that smell like coconut suntan lotion, some may really like it. Like I said before not a deal breaker.
There was nothing I can say that I totally dislike about my stay at the Hotel Rose.
Overall a good positive stay for me, and I would definitely recommend and stay at the Hotel Rose on future trips I may have to Portland again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Good afternoon Meeko-rtw,
Thank you for your very nice review of our hotel. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable guest room, fantastic location, complimentary amenities, and our newly remodeled lobby and restaurant. We are currently upgrading our corridors so look for more new things to come shortly.
Thank you again for you feedback Meeko-rtw. We truly do appreciate your comments.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

i agree with another review i just read on here. hotel is decent. clean, modern, good location, easy parking, some nice amenities, decor is nice though a bit garish. lot's of trys but also a lot of misses. my two big gripes which bring this from a solid 3.5 to a ZERO is (1) they charged my credit card left for incidentals for (more than) the cost of the room, though the room was already paid for though a booking site. they claimed that i upgraded my room thus owed the extra $$. i did NOT upgrade the room and i've seen other reviewers note this too, so i'm guessing this is a ploy to generate extra revenue from people not paying attention. if you stay there WATCH YOUR BILL (2) i left behind a macbook charger some toiletries and an expensive electric toothbrush. yes 100% my fault but instead of cataloging it as a hotel is supposed to, housekeeping either stole it or more likely tossed it. went back 3 days later and it took over 30 min of waiting only to be told they didn't have it. apparently they have a "new system" for this which involves trying to find the head of housekeeping who doesn't have a walkie talkie, so is essentially un reachable so it took a solid 15 just to track her down. she asked what i lost then proceeded to go run some other errands in the hotel, forgot what i lost and when come back, disappeared again only to come back empty handed. apparently their new policy is either we don't give a darn (expletive deleted) or needs some serious revision as it was excruciating to be witness to. needless to say i will not intentionally be staying here again.

Room Tip: riverview room was nice.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Hello Daniel B,
Thank you for telling us about your most recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your room and the amenities offered. I am disappointed to hear about your billing issue and lost items. I would be more than happy to discuss and investigate your issue if you would like to call me directly. My number is 503-484-1401.
Thank you Daniel B. I look forward to speaking with you.
Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here on a quick, two-day trip to Portland. The location was fantastic, right next to a train stop downtown. The noise of the train didn't bother us, but if you are a light sleeper, they do provide earplugs. The service was great and the room was nice and clean with modern decor. They provide loaner umbrellas and you can even check out a bike. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Good morning C0lleen11,
Thank you for your very nice review of our hotel. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our fantastic location, guest room, cruiser bikes, and pineapple umbrella. Maybe next time you can try our complimentary pineapple cupcakes and coffee, served daily in the lobby, or our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen.
Thank you C0lleen11. Come back and see us soon.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have stayed in Portland many times, but those times were not spent with our puppy in tow. Hotel Rose is a great option if you choose to bring your animal to Portland. I have to admit, the highlight of the stay were the delicious food and beverages my husband and I ordered at happy hour one night. Just divine and the service at HH was superb as well. All in all, a nice hotel that I would stay in again.

• Stayed October 2014
Hello Nichelle N,
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We are very proud to be dog friendly and welcome our four legged friends with open arms. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed Happy Hour at our new restaurant Bottle +Kitchen. I will pass your comments on to our food and beverage team!
Thank you Nichelle N. Come back and see us soon.
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Convenient to downtown. Rooms are what everyone wants to have: comfortable bed, high threads per inch sheets, soft comforter, clean and modern bathroom, complimentary robes, 42" HD TV. Hotel staff are friendly, they have an on-site restaurant that is has great food, pineapple cupcakes in the lobby every afternoon, and it is one block from the M train from the airport. The hotel provides complimentary bicycles which I used everyday (even in the rain) to get to the Convention Center for my meetings. Connecting the train and trolleys in the downtown area allows you to get anywhere downtown conviently including Voodoo donut, Powell's bookstore, Portland Saturday Night Market, and the Deschutes Brewery. Within a block is the Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery which has good microbeers and food at reasonable prices. The hotel is adjacent to the Gov. McCall Waterfront park on the Williamette River which is a great place to walk.

Room Tip: The best views are to the east over the Williamette River. The quietest rooms are to the south.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Good afternoon BobKentucky,
Thank you for your very thorough review of our hotel and our fine city. It really sounds like you covered it all and had a great time doing it! I am pleased that you had such a nice time at our hotel and was able to take advantage of so many of our fine amenities. I will share your kind comments with our team!
Thank you BobKentucky. Come back and see us soon.
Terry Hanley

Been to Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!