“Downtown and afforable ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

Save Saved
You added Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality to your Saves list
Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97204-3390 (Formerly Hotel Fifty) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$30 Off per Night!
Ranked #44 of 132 Hotels in Portland
San Francisco, California
“Downtown and afforable ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed at this hotel about 6 years ago. It was modern then and recent updates have kept it so. We had a highway facing room with a slight peak at the river. But liked the industrial feel. The ear plugs provided were necessary, even for our city-noise accustomed ears. Bar staff was great as were the cleaning staff. Front desk staff were friendly but we found their neighborhood/restaurant suggestions a bit mundane--something we didn't expect from such a modern location.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Brentwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Lovely Place to stay. Very convenient location. Lovely clean rooms with great amenities. Love that they had big yellow umbrellas to use as it did rain an awful lot when we were there! Very nice restaurant attached. The valet man was always extremely courteous and greeted us with a smile :) definitely recommend this hotel!!

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Good evening lain D,
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We are pleased that you had such an enjoyable time here, and thank you for recommending us! If you were here this past week I understand your comments regarding our umbrella's. Mother nature definitely let loose. I will also pass your kind comments on to our Pineapple People at the front door.
Thank you lain D. We hope your travels have you back in Portland very soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Clean rooms, friendly staff, good HD tv. Location good for walking to shopping, sights, waterfront, etc. It's next to the trolley line which did not bother me but if you are a finicky sleeper this hotel is not for you.

Room Tip: far as possible from the trolley line.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Carol W,
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay with us. We are always pleased when our staff are mentioned in reviews. We are very proud of our team! I am happy that you enjoyed your room, HD TV, and our stellar location. Please come back and see us soon.
Meridian, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is situated both in a wonderful spot in downtown Portland but depending on which room you are assigned, can also be a waking nightmare. Literally. I imagine the hotel was there before Portland installed their rail line, but like me, if you're unlucky enough to be given a room near or above the rail line, every 20 minutes or so your room will (mildly) shake and fall victim to all manner of noise from many tons of metal rolling below you. It was loud enough the complimentary ear plugs did little to help. It was one of the worst nights I've ever spent in a hotel. When I came back the next day for my 2nd and final night, I asked to be moved because of the horrible night's sleep due to the rail noise. Although sympathy from the desk clerk was absent, he did get me a room on a higher floor, and on the Willamette River side of the building. This room was quiet and I was able to get a fine night's rest (beds are very nice). Rooms are very clean, restaurant has nice breakfast and atmosphere, and so long as your room is away from the rail line (or you sleep like a hibernating bear), you will likely like Hotel Rose. I strongly recommend you require such a room at the time you book.

Room Tip: REQUIRE a room AWAY from the rail line or you will be unhappy with the noise and rumbling in your ro...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Good evening RogerS35531,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Your feedback is truly appreciated. I was happy to read that most everything went well with your stay. I am sorry that your first night fell below your expectations and appreciate you giving us the opportunity to make the rest of your stay enjoyable. I was also pleased that you tried our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. It really is a great venue.
Thank you again RogerS35531. We hope to see you back very soon.
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I had the chance to stay at Hotel Rose for a few days and were happy with our stay until the last night…we are from Florida and expect to have air conditioning ALL the time, however on our last night, the AC had been shut down. Unfortunately when we called down to ask the front desk if there was a problem, we were informed that the system is old and that it was shut down due to the temperature being cooler outside. We were also informed that we could open our windows…which we did, however with the little bit of cool that crept in, so did the NOISE from the Saturday night street noise and train. We had been used to the train noise since you can obviously hear it through the windows, but with them open it's a bit louder.

With all this being said, Hotel Rose is in a great location to get around the great downtown that is Portland and the staff were incredible. We felt that they had our best interests at hand and went above and beyond to be helpful when needed. We did not take advantage of the FREE bicycles, but having them as an option to get around was wonderful. The food in Bottles+Kitchen, was delicious, as were the drinks. There is a Happy Hour, which is great. Don't miss the pineapple cupcakes that are offered at 3pm…for FREE!

Room Tip: We had a room that faced the street, which lent to train noise and street noise…not sure if the othe...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Good morning photochic23,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. We truly appreciate you letting us know how we are doing. I was very excited to hear that you enjoy our team of hospitality experts, sampled our delicious pineapple cupcakes served daily from 3 - 7, and had a chance to enjoy our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. We are very proud of the room and the team that operates it. Maybe next time you will have a chance to take one of our Pineapple Cruiser bikes for a spin. Portland is an extremely easy town to bike or walk so our bikes are very popular. I am sorry you found your room warm on your last evening. We will review our air conditioning cut off point with the engineering team to see if we can run it longer when the warm temperatures creep into the fall nights.
Thank you again photochic23. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us from Florida again very soon.
coquitlam canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We booked four consecutive days at this hotel for our anniversary.The original lady that checked us in gave us a room that was by the elevators and it was very loud and hot. She also forgot to give us a parking pass. We asked if there was a possibility for us to change rooms for at least one of the 4 days and to get a room with a view. She looked very quickly and said all the rooms were full for the entire four days that we were there. I found that extremely hard to believe but oh well.
We were exhausted and just wanted a good rest after a long day of driving. The noise in this room was annoying but the heat was the real issue, this was in the afternoon. I called the front desk and asked if the air conditioning was working properly. We were told that the hotel was on a central air system and we just have to turn the dial far left and it would cool the room down. Hmmmmmmm,,,the air was trickling out and the room was still warm.
After a couple hours I went back down to the front desk and was originally going to ask for a fan but then I saw that there was a new group of people working the front desk. I went up to one of them (Mitchell) and explained my situation. The first thing out of his mouth was congratulating me on my on my anniversary! Very thoughtful and refreshing! I told him we were there for four days and I was wondering if there's any chance to get a different room even for one night. Within a couple of minutes he gave me our new room keys on the fifth floor and said it was a room overlooking the water. Needless to say I was more than shocked and when I went upstairs and told my wife that we were getting a new room she was obviously excited and thrilled. We went to the new room, opened the door and it was just beautiful and the air conditioning worked perfectly. We went from being disappointed and frustrated to being completely jubilant and it completely changed our attitude and changed our vacation around in an instant.
I called down to Mitchell to thank him and then within a couple of minutes there's a knock on the door and a gentleman was delivering champagne and a card that read " Happy Anniversary".
What can I say except it's amazing to me how some people will go that extra mile for customer service will take the extra couple of minutes to try to make the guests and the customers comfortable and satisfied. It also tells me that the person that checked us in didn't understand customer service or didn't want to go the extra mile.
I can't think Mitchell enough for what he did to completely change our attitude about how we felt about this hotel. Thanks again Mitchell!
The rooms can be noisy but they do supply ear plugs and the bed was so comfortable. They supply cruiser bikes for free and the location is great. We walked all over Portland from this location. The Bottle & Kitchen restaurant is also a good place to eat. Parking is very reasonable at $15 per day. Obviously a room overlooking the water is the way to go. I think this is a pretty average hotel in a good location.
One suggestion is for the valet to have an anti-fatigue mat to stand on. It seem ke a long time to be standing in one spot if there are no cars coming in.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hello k3see5,
Thank you for tell us about your experience while staying at Hotel Rose. Your feedback provides us the opportunity to make it right for your future stays. I do apologize that more of an effort was not made to get you into a different room. Our front office team has reviewed your comments to ensure this does not happen moving forward. I am pleased that Mitchell was able to find you a more suitable location and that the remainder of your stay went well. It's so important that you're comfortable when your not in your own home.
Thank you for spending your anniversary with us! Please come back every year, or more often if your travel plans allow.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Can I blame a hotel for something out of its control? No. Did the Hotel Rose do a lot of things well? Yes. But would I choose to stay there again? No. I'm not a fussy or light sleeper, but the MAX light rail grinds loudly along the 1st Avenue side of the hotel all day and most of the night. There are only a few things I demand from a hotel -- and a reasonably quiet night's sleep is one of them. The ear plugs the hotel placed beside the bed should have been my first clue that I wasn't going to get one at the Hotel Rose. Portland is a small walkable city with a good supply of close-by hotels -- I'll be checking out one of the others next time I'm in town. If you do choose the Hotel Rose, make sure to ask for a room away from 1st Avenue -- one that doesn't come with ear plugs.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the 1st Avenue side -- ongoing noise from light rail trains on street
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Good afternoon Stephen H,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We truly do appreciate your feedback. I was pleased to hear that your overall stay was enjoyable. I am sorry to hear that the MAX train disrupted your sleep. Our building has several options for views and exposures so hopefully you will try us again and let us showcase the quieter side of our hotel.
Thank you Stephen H. We hope you will try us again.
Terry Hanley

Been to Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!