“Just as good as the first time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

Save Saved
You added Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality to your Saves list
Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97204-3390 (Formerly Hotel Fifty) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$30 Off per Night!
Ranked #49 of 132 Hotels in Portland
Marysville, Washington
“Just as good as the first time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This is our second stay, and it's now our favorite hotel in the city, hands down. This time we got a king room with a balcony, which was also an adjoining room so it was more spacious. We were still over the Morrison St Bridge onramp, but honestly unless you're a very light sleeper you hardly notice it.

The last time we were there in March the lobby and restaurant were unfinished; now the renovations are complete and it's gorgeous. We didn't eat in the restaurant this time but the menu looks great if a little pricey. The service is top notch at this hotel, as well, we never have any complaints there. As long as we can continue to get rooms at this hotel on discount sites we will continue to come.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hello e_utz,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay and thank you for returning. I'm so happy that you had such a nice time and enjoyed our service staff! The lobby and restaurant really did turn out well. Thank you for your patience during the process. Great choice on the balcony room. Maybe the next time you're in town you can give Bottle + Kitchen a try. Chef Ron's food is delicious and I know you will enjoy your experience there.
Thank you again e_utz. Come back anytime!
Terry Hanley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hotel Rose is pleasantly refreshing. With its bright colors and modern decor it is definitely worth staying at. And it is right across the street from the river so you will not have any excuses for not going for a walk, a run or a bike ride. You know "when in Rome...." So do as the locals and join in on the great possibilities of having a few days of fun from the hotel's great location.
Right up the tree lined Morrison Street is Pioneer Place Mall and Pioneer Place Square.

I had breakfast at Bottle & Kitchen which I loved. The appearance of the restaurant, the staff and of course the food impressed me. And so did the hotel. It seemed so 'regular' before I went on this business trip, but it turned out to be a great experience.

When I walked through the lobby I thought they had spent a lot of time copying Kimpton's modern hotels and the servicemindedness of their staff. It seems to work...

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Good evening Kim C,
Thank you for your nice review of Hotel Rose! We truly do appreciate your feedback. I am pleased that you approve of our recent main floor renovation. There are more improvements coming to the building next month in the form of remodeled corridors and the exterior next spring. We are very excited. I will pass your comments on to our Bottle + Kitchen team! They will appreciate hearing about your pleasant experience.
Thank you again Kim C. We hope you return soon to see our ongoing improvements.
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Big spacious room with a good bathroom and dressing room (although I didn't understand why they didn't have a complete glass partition in the shower area -- made the whole bathroom while taking shower). The hotel is in the best possible location with waterfront park right across the street and the downtown is a 15-20 min. walk away. Our room didn't have the river view but they have rooms which do. Oh, and they do give complementary water bottles!! (I hate it when hotels charge for basic things such as drinking water!)

Overall, a really great experience.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Good morning rajat85,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm pleased that you enjoyed our great location and amenities. Portland is such an easy city to get around in and we are right in the heart of it. Maybe next time you can venture out and see the sights on one of our complimentary bikes.
Thank you rajat85. Come back and see us soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This is a wonderful little hotel with amenities I will describe. However it is NOT a typical 4 star hotel. So here is the deal. Pineapple CO must have purchased this property that was built in the style of an 80's Holiday Inn. So it is a remodel that cannot disguise its basic bones but everything about the remodel is quite upscale. We booked the room using airline miles for an equivalent price of $170.00 which included taxes. So here are the positives.

Upscale Bistro excellent dining on site with good prices and a great happy hour. Tommy Bahama toiletries...very luxurious. Comfy Pineapple robes.
Keurig individual coffee maker with real pineapple yellow coffee cups.
Good beds, pillows, and linens. Right on the lite rail (tri-met), so hop off from the airport! The cupcakes. The service and staff.

Only negatives: Too pricey if over 200-225$ compared to others in 4 star range downtown. Small (but well done) bath. Only one vanity. No mirror in the bedroom near a plug in! Since the bath is so small, and there is space above the desk for a small or even large mirror, this would make it much easier for two people getting ready for the day. I would definitely return for the right price. Bonus: the Veritable Quandry is a four block walk. Tip. Request 5 floor looking over the river'

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hello luveur0pe,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I'm happy that you enjoyed so many of our amenities in the rooms such as the Keurig coffee maker, Tommy Bahama bath products, bath robes, afternoon cupcakes in the lobby, and our fantastic location. It's also pleasing the hear that our staff made an impression. We pride ourselves on our associates!! I will pass on your comments to our hotel team as well as our Bottle + Kitchen team.
Thank you luveur0pe. We hope you have the opportunity to return soon.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for two nights having booked via Hotwire. The room was nicely appointed, and the bed was the most comfortable bed I think I have ever slept in. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location was great-- by the river yet close to everything in downtown. Although we did not try the on site restaurant, it looked attractive and I would certainly consider trying it on a future visit to Portland. As we booked via Hotwire at an attractive rate, we were put in a second floor room overlooking the parking lot with the light rail line behind it. Although some people have complained about the noise of the trains, we barely noticed the trains, and they definitely did not affect our sleep. The hotel does provide earplugs, and I assume this is to help especially light sleepers. The free WiFi worked reasonably well, and our friends took advantage of the free bicycles. I would readily consider staying at the Hotel Rose for future visits.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Good afternoon car94102,
Thank you for your nice review. I am pleased that you had such a great time in Portland. I agree, our beds are the most comfortable around! I'm sorry that you did not have the time to try our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. The food and service is fantastic so hopefully you will have the opportunity next time.
Thank you car94102. We hope to see you soon.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed over on a business trip, rooms clean and comfortable. The location is great, close to the river for an early morning jog, or shopping or downtown. Had the scrambled eggs for breakfast, very tasty. Staff were great too, highly recommend!

Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Hello RHINOTHOMAS,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Rose for your home in Portland while visiting from South Africa. I am so pleased that you had such a nice time and enjoyed the hotel's staff and services. I'm also pleased that you enjoyed Bottle + Kitchen for breakfast! Our food and beverage team does a great job.
Thank you again RHINOTHOMAS. Come back and see us soon.
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I spend 100+ nights per year in hotel rooms and travel to Portland regularly.

Some Highlights:
Very reasonable price considering location and amenities.
All employees I came in contact with were super friendly, professional and knowledgeable of the area.
Wonderful bed, linens and pillows.
Free bottled water, K-cups, interent, fridge, umbrellas, bathrobes and use of bikes really adds to its value and personality.

If not for the following issues I would of rated the Rose a 5:
Rooms are loud! I can deal with the outside noise but there is little or no sound proofing between shared walls and floors. Normal conversations, TV, bodily sounds, etc. are easily heard day and night.
Bathroom (however pretty/new) had inadequate lighting. Difficult to shave, fix hair, etc...
Self parking is limited and spaces are very small. During business hours you compete with locals who use the parking for business and park anywhere; not even in designated spaces.

In conclusion: Based on a reasonable rate I'd totally stay at the Rose again and recommend it to others that can deal with the noise issues...

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Good morning bowman716,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Your comments help us make it better for our next valued guests. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our great team of associates along with our comfortable beds, k-cups, location, and complimentary bike program. Portland is a great city to cycle around this time of year. I do apologize for the noise issue. I am curious as to what room you stayed in so we can investigate this further so if you have to opportunity to send me an e-mail at thanley@hotelroseportand.com I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you bowman716. We hope you come back and see us very soon.
Terry Hanley

Been to Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!