“Great Hotel IF the price is reasonable!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

Save Saved
You added Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality to your Saves list
Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97204-3390 (Formerly Hotel Fifty) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$30 Off per Night!
Ranked #52 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Hotel IF the price is reasonable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

This is a wonderful little hotel with amenities I will describe. However it is NOT a typical 4 star hotel. So here is the deal. Pineapple CO must have purchased this property that was built in the style of an 80's Holiday Inn. So it is a remodel that cannot disguise its basic bones but everything about the remodel is quite upscale. We booked the room using airline miles for an equivalent price of $170.00 which included taxes. So here are the positives.

Upscale Bistro excellent dining on site with good prices and a great happy hour. Tommy Bahama toiletries...very luxurious. Comfy Pineapple robes.
Keurig individual coffee maker with real pineapple yellow coffee cups.
Good beds, pillows, and linens. Right on the lite rail (tri-met), so hop off from the airport! The cupcakes. The service and staff.

Only negatives: Too pricey if over 200-225$ compared to others in 4 star range downtown. Small (but well done) bath. Only one vanity. No mirror in the bedroom near a plug in! Since the bath is so small, and there is space above the desk for a small or even large mirror, this would make it much easier for two people getting ready for the day. I would definitely return for the right price. Bonus: the Veritable Quandry is a four block walk. Tip. Request 5 floor looking over the river'

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here for two nights having booked via Hotwire. The room was nicely appointed, and the bed was the most comfortable bed I think I have ever slept in. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location was great-- by the river yet close to everything in downtown. Although we did not try the on site restaurant, it looked attractive and I would certainly consider trying it on a future visit to Portland. As we booked via Hotwire at an attractive rate, we were put in a second floor room overlooking the parking lot with the light rail line behind it. Although some people have complained about the noise of the trains, we barely noticed the trains, and they definitely did not affect our sleep. The hotel does provide earplugs, and I assume this is to help especially light sleepers. The free WiFi worked reasonably well, and our friends took advantage of the free bicycles. I would readily consider staying at the Hotel Rose for future visits.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, yesterday
Good afternoon car94102,
Thank you for your nice review. I am pleased that you had such a great time in Portland. I agree, our beds are the most comfortable around! I'm sorry that you did not have the time to try our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. The food and service is fantastic so hopefully you will have the opportunity next time.
Thank you car94102. We hope to see you soon.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed over on a business trip, rooms clean and comfortable. The location is great, close to the river for an early morning jog, or shopping or downtown. Had the scrambled eggs for breakfast, very tasty. Staff were great too, highly recommend!

Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Hello RHINOTHOMAS,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Rose for your home in Portland while visiting from South Africa. I am so pleased that you had such a nice time and enjoyed the hotel's staff and services. I'm also pleased that you enjoyed Bottle + Kitchen for breakfast! Our food and beverage team does a great job.
Thank you again RHINOTHOMAS. Come back and see us soon.
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I spend 100+ nights per year in hotel rooms and travel to Portland regularly.

Some Highlights:
Very reasonable price considering location and amenities.
All employees I came in contact with were super friendly, professional and knowledgeable of the area.
Wonderful bed, linens and pillows.
Free bottled water, K-cups, interent, fridge, umbrellas, bathrobes and use of bikes really adds to its value and personality.

If not for the following issues I would of rated the Rose a 5:
Rooms are loud! I can deal with the outside noise but there is little or no sound proofing between shared walls and floors. Normal conversations, TV, bodily sounds, etc. are easily heard day and night.
Bathroom (however pretty/new) had inadequate lighting. Difficult to shave, fix hair, etc...
Self parking is limited and spaces are very small. During business hours you compete with locals who use the parking for business and park anywhere; not even in designated spaces.

In conclusion: Based on a reasonable rate I'd totally stay at the Rose again and recommend it to others that can deal with the noise issues...

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Good morning bowman716,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. Your comments help us make it better for our next valued guests. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our great team of associates along with our comfortable beds, k-cups, location, and complimentary bike program. Portland is a great city to cycle around this time of year. I do apologize for the noise issue. I am curious as to what room you stayed in so we can investigate this further so if you have to opportunity to send me an e-mail at thanley@hotelroseportand.com I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you bowman716. We hope you come back and see us very soon.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I loved this hotel. Such a great location, friendly staff and the decor is fun! There are a lot of fun things to do within walking distance of this hotel. The rooms were nice, clean and contain a Keurig for your morning coffee. They serve little pineapple cupcakes and coffee every afternoon in the lobby, there's a restaurant attached with some good (but slightly expensive) food. They have a computer and printer in the lobby if you need anything printed during your stay. I had a wonderful trip during my stay in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hello ihavepockets,
Thank you for your nice review! We truly value your feedback. I'm happy that you had a chance to try our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. Our chef is fantastic and does produce nice plates. Our location is one of the best for getting around town so I'm pleased it worked out so well for you. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of some of our complimentary amenities like our afternoon Pineapple cupcakes, business center kiosk in the lobby, and Keurig coffee maker in the rooms. Maybe next time you can take one of our bikes for a spin around town.
Thank you again ihavepockets. We hope to see you soon.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I enjoyed the unique nature of this hotel. Yes, very friendly staff and you can't beat the location for both downtown shopping and attractions, and for the waterfront park right across the road from the hotel. Ear plugs are provided if the noise from the nearby light rail train bothers you, but the low rumbling noise did not disturb my sleep at all. I caught the train to the Portland airport from within a block of the hotel. I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Good afternoon Ursula W,
Thank you for your kind comments! We were happy to read that you enjoyed your time at Hotel Rose. I'm pleased that you were able to enjoy our friendly staff, great location, and the convenience of having the light rail MAX a block from our hotel. It's the best for getting to and from the airport!
Thank you again Ursula W. We hope your travels bring you back to Portland very soon.
Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

What a nice hotel in a great spot. We loved our room and the location of the hotel. Close to the river, right in the middle of everything. The service was friendly and helpful. It seems like the hotel was renovated not too long ago. We didn't use the restaurant/bar but it looked really great and had some great reviews. What we really loved where the yellow bikes that were for rent with no charge (so for free). They were so nice that people in the streets asked us where we got them from. Cool way to explore Portland on yellow cruiser bikes. Portland was a very bike friendly town. It was also easy to get to the airport by tram. Really convenient, quick and cheap.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!