“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

Save Saved
You added Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality to your Saves list
Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97204-3390 (Formerly Hotel Fifty) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$30 Off per Night!
Ranked #56 of 133 hotels in Portland
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We had a great time. Room was clean, bedding was nice. Mattress firm. Just how I like it. Very close to the food cart area, or one of the many areas of Portland. Yum! The only issue was our a/c was dripping from a clogged filter or something and we didn't notice until later when we were going to sleep and the drip kept us up for a good portion of the night. Management was very receptive but it couldn't be fixed until the next day. They handled it very well. So, be sure there are no issues with the room when you check in because maintenance goes home at 5 I think. Oh, and the restaurant was very awesome. The chef has real talent that rivals any top NYC restaurant. We usually dont go to hotel restaurants but someone said locals go there too so we thought to give it a try. Finally, ask for room on quiet side-waterfront-since one or two sides face the train.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Good afternoon elissa s,
Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel. You're feedback is very important to us.
It was nice to see that you had such a great time in Portland and was happy to see that you tried our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. Our chef really is very talented! We think we have one of the most comfortable beds in our industry and it sounds like you may agree!! I do apologize for the drip from your air conditioning unit and hope that it didn't detract from your stay with us.
Thank you again elissa s. Come back and see us very soon.

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We stayed five days at Hotel Rose, using it as a home base to visit family and explore the coast. I was a little hesitant when booking since there were some comments about construction and I the price was lower than some of the other area hotels. I can't say enough about this hotel, the staff and accommodation: it was one of the best hotel stays we've had. The rooms are nicely designed, clean and contemporary. The whole hotel has been renovated from top to bottom, and everything was just nicely done. We had a balcony room on the second floor and it was adjacent to the vending machine (noisy) and elevator which, along with the street view / river front, made us concerned we would hear a lot of noise. We were completely wrong. The room was incredibly quiet, with no noise from hallway or outside. The mattress was so perfect that my husband asked front desk what brand/style siince we're soon to buy a new one for home. The hotel is very clean, with great linens and bedding / pillows. The shower was well designed with a small opening to insert your hand and turn on faucet so you don't get scalded or frozen as water temp adjusts. Rooms have recycle bins and instead of the annoying and wasteful travel bottles of shampoo, soap, etc... the bathroom is equipped with wall dispensers for these toiletries, so no need to pack any of it (nice brand, Tommy Bahama). Each day we were stocked with bottled water (something I always appreciate after a long day) and staff was quick to provide extra hangers, wash cloths, when requested. There's also excellent coffee / coffee maker. There's also a mini fridge in the room and extra charging outlets for electronic devices. WiFi is free with access that's easy and fast. The new restaurant / bar, Bottle + Kitchen, is a beautiful little spot just off lobby of hotel and we had a great breakfast and some nightcaps. The breakfast is not included in the hotel cost, but there are numerous options on the breakfast menu at B+K, including a'la cart items for a few dollars each. Since we had a rental car we were concerned about parking options but that was easy as well. Daily, self- parking is $15, with unlimited in and out access and the garage seems safe and secure, with elevator directly to all hotel floors. If this lot is full, guests may park in valet area at no extra cost (valet price is $20 / day). All staff were super helpful and friendly and location was perfect for walking the city, jogging along the river or catching the Max (a couple blocks away). The hotel is non-smoking, but it there were some cigarette butts on the overhang of balcony, which looked as though guests may have smoked on balcony and tossed, but we didn't smell any smoke during out stay. I also think the comforter on the bed is unnecessary... though it looks good, it's quite heavy and silky fabric means it kept sliding off the bed during the night. A down comforter with washable duvet cover might be better option.
This hotel was a great find and I wish all of my hotel experiences could be so perfect. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are slightly larger than those on other side of hotel and we definitely enjoyed ha...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Good morning Stratch,
Thank you for one of the most thorough reviews I have ever read! I think you covered almost every aspect of a hotel stay. I am so pleased that you had such an nice time and that you enjoyed our recent main floor remodel, comfortable balcony guest room, and our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. We are very pleased with our new look.
Thank you again Stratch. I hope your travels have you back in Portland and staying with us again very soon.
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My husband and I arrived yesterday for a three nights stay for our one year anniversary. We were pleasantly surprised when we learned that we had been upgraded to a suite! So far our stay has been wonderful! We have enjoyed some cocktails in the restaurant and explored the city. Great hotel location. Waking up from a comfortable nights sleep and looking forward to borrowing bikes and a day of exploration! Cheers!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Good afternoon trice054,
Thank you for your kind review and for choosing our hotel to celebrate your anniversary. Congratulations!! I'm happy that you were able to try our new restaurant and bar, Bottle+Kitchen and that our location worked out so well for you. Maybe Hotel Rose should be your anniversary hotel so you come back every year!!
We hope to see you back soon.
Bremerhaven, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

booked as mystery hotel and for portland prices, this was a bargain. We were satisfied with the hotel. Room was a bit small and slightly outdated, but still good condition and perfect for a city trip. Free coffee, water and afternoon snack were great. Location is spectacular for exploring downtown Portland. Would stay here again. Only downfall was they forgot to clean our room somehow!!!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor with water view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon ashbanana,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our fantastic location along with our afternoon coffee and pineapple cupcakes. I hope you had more than 1 as they are delicious!! I do apologize that we missed making up your room and will discuss with our housekeeping team.
Thank you ashbanana. Come back soon!
Lincoln City, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Perfectly situated, on the riverfront close to park and river sights and activities, and train transit. Great valet parking since you don't need a car to get around. Happy hour and a good restaurant, with free bicycles to explore downtown. What a value package!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings Lloyd W,
Thank you for your nice review. We truly appreciate your feedback and are pleased that you had such a good time. We hope you have the opportunity to return very soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Found this place on Hotels Tonight and was very pleased. Comfortable bed, fantastic location, great bathroom, updated design. Gorgeous picture window overlooked the river and bridges. I have no complaints and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Good afternoon ReadyForThisJelly,
Thank you for the great review! We truly appreciate your kind comments. I'm happy that you had such a great time. I am also pleased that you booked a waterfront room. The view is spectacular!
The bed is one of the best in our industry so I'm happy that you enjoyed it.
Thank you ReadyForTheJelly. We hope to see you again soon.
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

i booked this hotel with trepidation....reading the reviews on Tripadvisor after I booked almost spooked me. However, the negatives I read were not apparent in my stay. My husband and I stayed from July 21, 2014 until July 24, 2014 and had a great stay. The valet service was above and beyond what I experience here in Las Vegas, NV. The front desk staff was not able to accomodate what I had booked online, and compensated by upgrading the room with no extra cost. The room was on the 2nd floor, and was very clean and comfortable. My husband loved lounging on the extended couch. I was worried about the traffic noise other people wrote about, but it was actually soothing, like the pulse of Portland was right outside our window. The bar offered excellent service (thanks Matt!). The breakfast we had there was huge, delicious and entirely filling. The service was a bit slow thanks to a large convention in the other part of the room but pleasant all around. The location is excellent for going into Portland and not feeling like you've walked for miles. I would definately book this room again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Good evening Calhobbs6,
Thank you for your great review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your interactions with our valet attendants (we call them Pineapple People!) and Matt in the bar. It's always very warming to have our employes mentioned online, so thank you! It was also nice to hear that you found your room so comfortable and that you took advantage of our stellar location. It's so quick and easy to get around from our location.
Thank you again Calhobbs6. Please come back and see us soon.
Warm regard,
Terry Hanley

Been to Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!