“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

Save Saved
You added Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality to your Saves list
Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97204-3390 (Formerly Hotel Fifty) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$30 Off per Night!
Ranked #61 of 132 hotels in Portland
Canada
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked this room on hotwire and travel quite a bit for both work and personal reasons. We stayed for three nights last week and were not disappointed with this property. Location was great, easy walk anywhere down town and an easy walk over the Morrison bridge to visit one of the many breweries on that side of the river. It was our anniversary and our room had two double beds (my boyfriend is 6'5" so does not fit well on double beds), however we did not ask for another room with a king bed as the room had a balcony which we enjoyed. The beds were very comfortable.
We found the staff very friendly, got a recommendation for dinner from one of the girls at the front desk and visited the Bottle & Kitchen a couple times (don't miss the happy hour oysters and shrimp cocktail!). Overall we would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hello Love_2_ Travel568,
Thank you for the nice review of our hotel. It's so fun to read these when the experience has been so enjoyable. I am pleased that you were able to try our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. I agree, the oysters are amazing! Our location is fantastic as well. Please know for your next visit that we do have balcony rooms with king beds.
Thank you Love_2_Travel568. We hope you have the opportunity to return very soon.

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hotel Rose is centrally and conveniently located in the northern half of Portland's downtown (don't let the SW address prefix fool you). Not only is McCall Waterfront Park just across the street (great for walking, jogging, and bicycling), the hotel is within two blocks of both eastbound and westbound stations on the MAX red and blue lines, and five blocks from northbound and southbound stations on the green and yellow lines.

If you're visiting Portland to shop, Pioneer Place and Pioneer Courthouse Square (Nordstrom, Macy's, Nordstrom Rack, Apple store, etc) are within easy 8 blocks (and these are the very walkable Portland city blocks of just 264 feet)!

Service: our expectations are high having previously stayed at multiple properties in the Kimpton chain. Hotel Rose didn't disappoint. We were warmly greeted by the valet and front desk staff.

The room was clean, comfortable, and tastefully decorated in a minimalist way. The lobby was recently redone, but not the hotel corridors or rooms. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

The bathroom sink/countertop was large in relationship to the hotel room - something we always like to be able to unpack toiletries bags and not have to cram things into any available corner. The walk-in shower (no tub in our room) had a rainfall shower head and glass partition without a movable door or curtain. Some guests may find that unusual, but it worked well for us. Hot water was more than ample.

The beds and pillows were among the most comfortable we've found at anything other than a luxury resort!

The newly opened hotel restaurant, Bottle & Kitchen, was going through final touches and staff were being trained. That didn't detract from having a great time. The restaurant manager (Cora, I think) was friendly and welcomed us each time we popped in a for a drink or when we stopped by late one night for dessert. Great beer selection and delicious Swiss Chocolate Torte (with peanut butter and strawberry jelly)!!

A few final thoughts: we appreciated having on-site self-parking in a garage below the hotel. Be forewarned, the self-park garage is not secured or gate-controlled, it is easy to wander in from the street, and spaces are leased to neighborhood office workers (which can be a surprise if you leave early in the morning and come back in mid-afternoon). On the plus side, it was only $15 a night to park.

There still seems to be some retraining and rebalancing of schedules taking place with the staff. At some times it seemed staff were bumping up against each other, and yet on our third day (Tuesday) our room had not been cleaned between when we left the hotel at 9am and when we returned at 4pm. The only unpleasant encounter we had with front desk staff was when she tried to explain how busy they were and that it is not unusual for rooms not to be made up before 4pm.

All in all, Hotel Rose was a great new find for us in Portland and will certainly be on the short list for a future visit.

Room Tip: The "metropolitan view" looks out over the valet parking area, but seemed to be quieter th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Good evening TacomaGuys,
Thank you for one of the most thorough reviews we have received. We truly do appreciate your feedback. I was happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and was able to try our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. It was Cora that you interacted with and I will pass your comments on to her. She's fantastic! I do apologize that your interaction with the front desk regarding your room cleaning was not a pleasant one. I will share your comments with our front office manager.
Thank you again TacomaGuys. We hope your return to Hotel Rose very soon.
Winter Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel Rose does have a really good location which is why I was able to give it an average overall rating. The staff is young, not very knowledgable and lacked professionalism. Nothing beautiful about the rooms. Bedding worn, mattresses sunken, blankets with holes, ugly carpet, shower with no door, no bar soap (liquid only), dimly lit bathroom. The mini pineapple cupcakes in the hotel entry were very tasty! And, the complimentary bottle water daily was nice. We would not stay here again or recommend.

Good evening MN W,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback as it helps us grow and improve for our next visitors experience. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our location, cupcakes, and bottled water. It would be helpful to know what room you were in so I can inspect it personally. I you could please call me at 503-484-1401 I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you MN W. I do hope you reconsider and stay with us the next time you visit Portland.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel Rose was amazing. I had such a great stay with them. The staff was very friendly and informative. The room was beautiful. I almost couldn't get out of bed because it was so comfortable and feather down pillows!! Heaven. I ordered Pumpkin Ravioli from room service and it was brought up promptly and it was delicious!
The best part was the free rental bikes! Hotel rose was very centrally located and it was so easy to just take a bike and roam around. I DEFINITELY would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in town.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Hello Danielle R,
Thank you for your nice comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Rose. I am so happy you enjoyed interacting with our great associates, took advantage of our bikes, delicious room service, oh so comfortable beds, and our fantastic location, location, location!! Please hurry back!
Louisville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

When we looked at hotels in Portland prior to our recent trip we found that travelers were commenting on construction updates to the lobby and bar area that hindered enjoyment of the property. My husband and I decided to take a chance and book it because we liked the walkable location to downtown attractions and the waterfront. We were pleased that when we arrived, all was put in order and no evidence of construction to the interior was evident. The bar was quite nice with friendly bartender, Margot who was eager to make us a specialty cocktail and offer us a very delicious bar menu. We really enjoyed this hotel for friendliness and willingness to make our stay very comfortable. The room was spacious enough for our needs and quite clean and modern. We were able to walk everywhere we needed to be and never had to get the car out of the garage.

Good evening ajctraveler,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly appreciate your favorable comments and are pleased you enjoyed your time here. We really do have the best location in town and I'm pleased you took advantage of it. I will definately pass your kind comment on to Margot as well. We love to hear the nice comments about our fantastic hospitality specialists.
Thank you ajctraveler. We hope to see you back very soon.
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed at the Rose for a conference, Saturday through Monday nights in mid-June. Everything about this hotel was great, especially for the price. The location was ideal, the room was very comfortable (think Westin), and the staff were efficient, friendly and knowledgeable about the local area. A nice touch for Portland: there was an umbrella in the room. Having read reviews, I was concerned about noise at night, but I didn't find that to be a problem. The restaurant and bar are excellent, but if you want something different there are plenty of great places within a block or two. The only disappointment I experienced was that the restaurant (and room service) didn't open until 7 am on Sunday. If you need breakfast earlier on the weekend, you'll be walking a couple of blocks to Starbuck's for a mediocre bagel.

Hotel Rose is a big step up from the typical chain hotel experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Good evening Richard D,
Thank you for your nice review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and will pass your comments on to our team! We have just opened our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen and will definitely review our opening hours on the weekends.
Thank You again Richard D. We hope you return to Portland and Hotel Rose very soon.
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have called 4+ times to sort out different issues with my bill for the hotel room and it still isn't correct and they refuse to call me back. VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.
If you do HAVE to stay here, I recommend confirming every, I mean every, item on your bill the night before. I had to catch a flight the next morning, and they said they would send my bill electronically. They did, after a few days, but have been terrible at helping resolve issues remotely.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Good evening E W,
I am so sorry to hear about your billing issues that have clearly left you frustrated. Please accept my sincere apologies. I would love to help. Please call me anytime at 503-484-1401 and let's get this resolved.
Terry Hanley

Been to Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!