“It's going to be nice…when it's done.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rose

Save Saved
You added Hotel Rose to your Saves list
Hotel Rose
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97204-3390 (Formerly Hotel Fifty) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$20 Off per Night!
Ranked #64 of 132 hotels in Portland
Santa Cruz, California
“It's going to be nice…when it's done.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We were excited to spend two nights last week, especially considering the Groupon we found online. The location was wonderful, allowing me to walk along the river each morning and then later walking downtown to shop and eat. The problem was the remodel. The entire lobby was gone and in its place black plastic hiding the work in progress. The bar/restaurant wasn't cozy and there was no place just to chill. There wan't any mention of the remodel inconveniences. The room was very nice and the river/bridge view was breathtaking. It was however, pretty noisy early morning when the train whistles awoke us and the traffic began. Best perk- Free bikes! Loved this and used them to explore the city. My 12 year old had a blast!Free mini cupcakes in the afternoon but I think they should be rose(Hotel Rose) flavored instead of pineapple (Pineapple Hospitality) I'm sure when its done, it will be very nice.

Room Tip: River view worth it but expect some noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My lovin' hubby and I set off on yet another one of our road trips, this time from San Francisco to Portland and back. The Hotel Rose was the place we chose to stay in Portland, based on TripAdvisor reviews combined with a deal on Priceline. The hotel is centrally located in Downtown Portland, which much like our hometown San Francisco is experiencing a "Homeless Epidemic". We discovered that the first night we went out on foot in search of dinner and drinks. We also discovered a lovely restaurant called The Lotus Cafe and Cardroom, and later a great dive bar called the Yamhill Pub for shots.Thus we established a love / hate relationship with Downtown Portland.When we got back to the hotel I was happy that we had spent the extra $20/day to have the car "Valet Parked" which equates to a 20' walk for the Valet and extra security for your parked car (because the Valet lot is right in front of the front door as opposed to the Open lot 1 floor downstairs).

The room was bright and clean (but very WARM) with complimentary bottled water (handy for day hikes), mini-fridge (good for leftovers) and individual cup coffee-maker. We immediately opened the windows and reset the heater. Later, we found out the room just stays warm, no matter what the setting on the heater. The open windows fixed the problem, but created a problem of their own: NOISE.Two different Streetcar lines run right next to the hotel (We had a "City" view). There is also a train that runs very close to the hotel, you can hear it's whistle at 3am as it goes by. I couldn't stand it on our third night and closed the windows, but when that streetcar comes by you can hear the rumble through the walls. It reminded me of the Lucy episode when they stay in a hotel right on the train tracks.
The walk-in shower looked great, but performed horribly. Every time we took a shower the bathroom floor amassed an 1/8 of an inch in water. Therefor we had to use all the towels supplied to mop up the mess, what a chore!! I can't believe no one has slipped or electrocuted themselves while drying their hair.I think the trouble lies with the arm hole cut into the shower wall, if they installed some kind of sliding door, it would improve the condition immensely. The TV did not have HBO,etc which would have been nice to watch while we ate our room service breakfast; which arrived on time and happily still warm, Service at the hotel was fine both at the desk, room service, and valet. The restaurant and bar were closed for remodeling during our stay. All in all an "okay" stay, but I think we'll try another spot next time we visit.

Room Tip: Avoid the "City View" rooms and try to get a River View room, that may be quieter.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The hotel sits right on the river downtown, and is located on the public transit line. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Arrived and everything was clean. Nice big walk-in shower in the bathroom. Small things like complimentary internet and bottled water as well as a friendly and helpful staff make it a good value for the money as well.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hello Tim B,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly do apprecite your comments.
I am happy to hear you had a great time and took advantage of our fantastic location, complimentary amenities, and great staff. Hopefully next time you can sample our pineapple cupcakes and coffee served daily from 3 - 7 PM.
Thank you Tim B. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The old Hotel 50 is now Hotel Rose. One of the best locations in the city. Directly on the max line so try to avoid the city view rooms, they are a bit noisy. Still, with ear plugs we slept well. Awesome Beauty Rest Black mattresses rock you to sleep. Keurig in room, nice little pub near lobby, waterfront across the street- what else could you want? Entertainment all around in the city that will make you weird even if you're not upon arrival. My one and only complaint- warm air flowed out all night even though we set the temp as low as we could. The hotel obviously controls the temp. Our friends room was just as warm. Not good sleeping temps. But the very BEST thing- the towels. To die for, fit for royalty towels that make you want to take multiple showers just to be able to dry off again. And the Tommy Bahama bath products don't hurt, either. Bravo!

Room Tip: Ask for a park side room and take half and half with you from the lobby if you want creamer for the...
Good afternoon myjb,
Thank you for taking time to write about our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us.
I was very happy to hear you enjoyed our great bed, towels, in room coffee and our lobby bar, along with our superior location across from the park and river. The remodel should be done in a few weeks so you will have to come back and see the final result. It's going to be very nice!
Thank you again myjb. We hope you return very soon.
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Great time, Great room. Staff were very helpful. Great room over looking the river, Very clean. We shopped around and gave Hotel Rose a shot and it exceeded everything we wanted. We will be back! Location is within walking distance of everything you would want in downtown Portland.

Room Tip: For the price, location, and room, you cant go wrong.
Good afternoon Anthony B,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I was very pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time. We really do have one of the best locations in town! Choosing a water front room was a good call this time of year with everything starting to bloom.
Thank you again for your favourable comments Anthony B. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Despite the renovation the hotel was undergoing, we felt totally at home and comfortable! The staff were spot-on friendly and extremely helpful, important since it was our first time in Portland. We would come back in a heartbeat!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon Mike I,
Thank you for your nice comments and your patience while we make improvements to our main floor. It's going to be done very soon and will look fantastic! I do hope your future travels have Portland in the mix so you can return and see the finished product.
Thank you again Mike I. Come back soon,
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My spring break Oregon trip started in Portland at the Hotel Rose. I had the most incredible river view from my room! The hotel was in walking distance from the Portland attractions that I had read about in my guide books and wanted to go to - Powell's Bookstore, VooDoo Doughnut, and the downtown food carts - my favorite being The Frying Scotsman (best fish and chips EVER!) - and Huber's restaurant, known for serving a full Thanksgiving meal every day, and for their amazing Spanish coffee, served flaming tableside. However, I found myself dining in the hotel bistro/bar two of the three nights of my stay. The food was fabulous (the biggest oysters I've ever seen - I had to cut them in half!), the atmosphere cozy (a warm fire burning in the fireplace), the view incredible, and the service from the bartender/bar manager - the BEST! She was so friendly and welcoming. One night I wanted to go to a wine bar to do a wine tasting, and she said "Let's do our own wine tasting!" So I had my own wine tasting right there, and it was fabulous, along with another great meal! It was obvious that many regulars come in to visit with Cora, in addition to the wonderful food and ambiance. All of the hotel staff were so friendly and helpful - whether I needed more creamer in my room, a bag of ice for my sore knee, or walking directions to places of interest. When I return to Portland, it will be to the Hotel Rose!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the river view - GORGEOUS! Beautiful geese in the park below, barges and canoes...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Good afternoon RockerChic57,
What a great reveiw of our hotel. Thank you! Your trip sounds like it went perfectly, visiting all the fun places Portland has to offer and spending some quality time at our hotel. Cora is fantastic and I'm happy you had a chance to meet her and enjoy her hospitality. Our restaurant, bar, and lobby remodel will be done very soon and that will only enhance your future experiences.
Thank you again RockerChic57. Please come back and see us soon.
Terry Hanley

Been to Hotel Rose? Share your experiences!