“good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

You added Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality to your Saves list
Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 SW Morrison Street, Portland, OR 97204-3390 (Formerly Hotel Fifty) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$30 Off per Night!
Ranked #45 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Washington
“good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We go to Portland at least once a year for our anniversary. I love Portland! We are still searching for our favorite hotel, right now this is not it.
We booked when it was still hotel Fifty but arrived at the Rose Hotel. The staff was very friendly & greeted us every time we entered & the valet always opened the door for us. They also gave us some recommendations on local restaurants, etc (still searching for my favorite there too).
The room was small but met our needs. We were in a "courtyard" view room. It's really no view at all, parking lot below & other rooms you can see but its quieter then on the street side (I stayed here years ago when it had a different name from the 2 above & had a street side room). At first I thought there wasn't a closet but when I closed the sliding door to use the bathroom my husband said, "found the closet." The door serves for both bathroom & closet. Not an issue but good to know. The internet was very slow. There was no hotel guide in the room but I'm assuming it was because of the change over. It's an open shower (no door) so a bit chilly for our area. The lighting is terrible. I think sometimes they forget women need good light for makeup application. The bed was very comfortable & we slept good.
Online they said there would be coffee & pineapple cupcakes in the afternoon. I never did see them so I don't know if they maybe haven't implemented that yet. They did however have Seattle's Best coffee in the room. It's always nice to have a good cup of coffee in the morning.
My husband had roses delivered to our room while we were out, the manager helped him with it. It was a big surprise. The reason I mention this though is because whoever placed them in the room must have spilled the entire vase full of water on the floor. It was soaked. We had to waste a bunch of towel cleaning it up. The towels came up filthy which tells me they really need to clean their carpets or swap them out - very icky.
Finally, we went to breakfast at Mothers & returned about 5-10 minutes before checkout to grab our things & go. We got to our room only to discover our key card had been deactivated. So, we had to go back down & have it reset. There were several others in line doing the same thing. Instead of checking out on time, this terrible idea wasted a lot of our time & made it so we were late for check out as I'm sure others were too. Also only 1 small elevator working so that slowed things down as well.
The location is really good so hopefully the new management will fix the flaws. I might try it again once they have been there for awhile.
Oh, the best thing of all is they offered a wonderful military discount. So that trumps a lot of the flaws right now

Room Tip: we requested a quiet room away from the elevators. We were on the 5th floor & courtyard much qu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Terry H, Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Good evening sabbysguide,
Thank you for your comments and congratulations on your anniversary! We are please you chose to spend it at Hotel Rose. Our new owners are addressing several of your concerns, including a colorful mural on the wall across from the room you stayed in, new internet access points that have already been replaced and improved our signal strength, and we have adjusted the times on our keys so you will have a few extra minutes before they expire. We do appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve our future guests experience.
Thank you again sabbysguide. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.
Terry Hanley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Salem, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

When we booked our room it was the Hotel Fifty and when we arrived they had switched to Hotel Rose. Staff were friendly and greeted us right away. We had arrived early and they called us directly when our room was available. Self parking was close and reasonable prices at $15 for the night. We selected the Hotel Rose because it was perfectly located for the event we were attending. The hotel was close enough to walk to the Saturday Market and the Max was right by the hotel. We had dinner at H5o and it was pleasant.

What I didn't care for....when we checked in, both myself and the other couple we were traveling with were offered an upgrade. For the exact same room, my friend was charged $20 and we were charged $70. At check out they corrected the mistake but it took more effort on my part to correct it. There are only two elevators and one of them was out of order increasing the wait time. Sunday morning at check out time we had to wait for the elevator at least 3 or 4 times and had to ride down separately. While parking was close I was less than thrilled with all the dryer lent that was covering my car and all the other cars in the garage (apparently the laundry facility is in the parking garage). While we appreciated the upgrade, we did not realize the noise and music from the Oregon Bite would be so loud in the room. Something to keep in mind if there is event happening across the street at the water front. Music is allowed until 10pm and the garbage truck comes at 4 am to pick up all the recycle cans.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Good evening Paula M.
Thank you for your comments regarding our great location, parking, and restaurant experience. I do apologize if there was an error in room billing. Please know that I will review your comments with our front desk team so that we can be more consistant for our future guests. I feel your frustration regarding the out of order elevator. We were waiting on a part and a few days felt like a few weeks. My apologies for the inconvenience.
Thank you again Paula M. We hope to see you back at Hotel Rose very soon.
Warm regards,
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Spent 5 nights here. Room was never vacuumed, housekeeping was minimal. In fact, the last two nights we did not have enough towels! To top it off, we were charged a "Bistro" fee after visiting the bar and unable to get service. We protested the $50 charge (which was "accidentally" put on our bill) an it was removed. However, had we not gone to the desk to checkout we would likely not have noticed the unexplained charge. Double whammy. Go to the bar, can't get service, leave and they still add a $50.00 charge to your room. Lesson: CHECK YOU BILL at this place..

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Good evening WestLRman,
I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit to Portland. It is always our goal to have our guests leave satisified and clearly we missed that goal. Please know that your comments will be shared with the departments involved so that we can improve the experience for future guests.
Thank you for you comments WestLRman and we hope to see you back at Hotel Rose very soon.
Warm regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This property recently changed from the Hotel Fifty to the Hotel Rose. The new owners have made a few changes, but some are beyond their control.

I must first say that the staff was very friendly and helpful. There were times though when they seemed overwhelmed (front desk & valet station unmanned). The room (King Balcony) was a great size and contained all of the amenities I needed. While the balcony was nice, it really only looked over the cloverleaf access to the Morrison bridge. Since it is a low rise hotel (5 floors) you didn't get an amazing city view. The weather was beautiful and the balcony was nice to sit on to read the paper. The bathroom was nicely appointed and looked very updated. There was no tub though, but that was fine with me.

I have seen a number of complaints on here about the shower and spraying the room with water. While the shower does not have a door, and some water does get on the floor, I did not find it that much of a problem. I have lived overseas for a number of years and showers like this are ubiquitous in other countries. The shower head is sufficient high for it to be pointed straight down (like a rain shower). I am 6'3" and had plenty of room under the shower head to use it this way. This prevented the water from splashing out the door into the bathroom. If you adjust the shower head to point to the back wall as most Americans would do, you would end up with a flood. The other item which was added to facilitate turning on the shower allows water to escape onto the floor. A rather large notch was cut into the shower glass so the user could easily turn on the shower without reaching around the glass wall. The opening was 8 inches wide by 10 to 12 inches tall. This allows the water to splash out and wet the floor. They could easily fix this by placing the glass back with hinges so the user could open the panel, turn the shower on, close the panel and prevent the water from exiting the shower. But again, with a bit of care you can prevent a flood, and the bath mat easily absorbed the water that found its way out of the shower.

The other issue is that the hotel is directly across the street from the riverfront park. While this is a great location when there is no event at the riverfront park, when there is an event the noise in the room is considerable. The event had live music which was exceptionally loud in the room. The event hours were 11 am to 10 pm. I was not in the room much in those hours, but if I needed to sleep or had a child that need that, it would have been impossible. The first night the music didn't end until 10:17 and then a band member drummed for another 20 minutes until 10:45. I thought this was the events problem and should have stopped the music on time. The second night the music ended at 10 or shortly afterwards. So, if you are booking this hotel you should check for activities in the park across the street if you need quiet.

I did not eat at the restaurant so I do not have a review of it. The new owners have instituted a cupcake hour each afternoon. The pineapple cupcakes were excellent and the coffee included was good. A larger variety of drinks (tea, water, etc.) would have helped those who don't drink coffee.

The bed was very comfortable, I did not use the TV, but it had a large variety of cable stations including HBO.

The location is killer with access to the riverfront park and all of the downtown area out their front door.

Room Tip: Depends on the purpose. Courtyard rooms face the parking lot and light rail train, street rooms fac...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
MarcoBaumann, Managing Director at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear 1World2TravelOn,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel.

We're glad that our staff impressed you. We are proud to serve our guests and are happy that we made a positive impression on your stay! We will continue to work on completing our change over and hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Thanks again for taking the time to give the detail you did about your stay with us! We appreciate your feedback.

Marco Baumann
Managing Director

Been to Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality? Share your experiences!