“Nice stay downtown” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Nice stay downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I stayed here for a meeting in July. The location is great - close to the waterfront, the light rail and the downtown shopping district. There are a lot of restaurant choices nearby. The hotel staff was helpful, recommending a running route and dinner suggestions. My room was clean and nice -my only complaint was that it backed into the elevator shaft. It sounded like there was a big truck outside my window every time the elevators moved, which was often. They do have a great happy hour and a great breakfast buffet - all included!

Stayed July 2014
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
NCCruiser, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you were able to enjoy Portland and the activities around! Walking/running along the Waterfront Esplanade is a wonderful treat and even more fun before (or after) enjoying our Evening Reception. I am sorry the elevators caused an issue and please let us know if you would like us to Make It Right. See you again soon I hope!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Located in a historic, beautifully preserved building, we spent a couple nights here on our way down the center of Oregon and California. The suites are spacious, nicely appointed with fantastic linens and a comfortable bed. The bathroom is also nicely sized. The complimentary hot breakfast is one of the best I've seen, with a wide variety of selections, hot food (eggs, bacon, sausage) and cooked to order omelets. One interesting feature is that the original windows are still installed in the building, but they have been sealed over with a pane of plexiglass, which eliminates drafts and significantly cuts down on the noise from outside the building.

Parking is a little bit of a hassle - there is a small loading/unloading area in front of the hotel and the garage (if you don't want to valet) is across the street. The garage is pretty tight (often requiring multipoint turns to get in and out of spaces) and occasionally people will get stuck at the exit gate for some reason, which happened to cars in front of us multiple times over the two days we were there.

Pro's
- great location in the heart of downtown Portland. Easy walking throughout the downtown and to the river.
- Large rooms with comfortable beds and high-quality linens
- Quiet rooms
- FANTASTIC complimentary breakfast
- Friendly front desk staff

Con's
- Parking is a little bit of a hassle, and also relatively expensive.
- Wifi fairly expensive as well
- View nothing to write home about

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for such a detailed and wonderful review, AJB_2008! It sounds like you had a good time in Portland and with us. We redecorated our rooms in January and we are so happy with them and it’s great to hear the positive feedback. I will pass on your kind comments about the front desk and the notes about the parking. Thank you again for taking the time to review us online and we hope you stay with us again soon!!
FRIENDSHIP, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The Embassy suites in downtown Portland is an excellent hotel. it is one of the classiest places that have ever stayed in. That being said, it is rather pricey. However, it is in an excellent location and all of the hotels in this area were expensive.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Gary, what such nice words! Thank you! We have big shoes to fill from the former Multnomah Hotel operating from 1912-1963 and we are happy to hear we are coming close. Thank you for the review and please come back soon!
Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel over 30 times. I have given it many excellent reviews in the past. I checked in July 17-19. I had room 832. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I had many problems with house keeping (which I did bring to the attention on the front desk). and many other problems, to many to list here. I wrote a long letter bringing to the attention of the manager of the problems and telling him I was not 100% happy with my stay. i have not heard one word from the manager regarding my complaints.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
EmbassySuitesHotel69, General Manager at Embassy Suites Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear TRavlerbarry

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay and I'm sorry to read that we were not up to our usual high standards. I apologize for the delay in my responding to you however I have just returned to the hotel after having some time away. I will reach out to you offline and I am sure that we will be able to Make it Right for you and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards

Alex Dawes
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

What a great stay! Room (we had a King corner suite) was enormous and very comfortable. For such a large and busy hotel we heard no noise at all. The room was light and airy with big windows overlooking the town. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice. Complimentary drinks in the evening were lovely too. All in all, can't fault this hotel. Great for families and for a base for exploring Portland.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for the great review, Telgip. We are so happy to hear your trip to Portland was a grand adventure and I hope you will stay with us again. See you soon!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is our 4th stay at this location. It's an old school Embassy Suites, in the heart of downtown Portland. Great lobby with one of the better breakfast selections in the lower legal. Don't miss Voodo donuts right around the corner. Can't remember the name but right next door is a little place with a bar in front that's serves great thin crust pizzas. Foodies will love Portland.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are all we have used. Large suites.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Welcome back, Jan, and thank you so much for taking the time to review us online. It’s great to have our regulars discover new places (the pizza place is call Via Tribunali and is very yummy!). We look forward to your next visit and hope we can get you to even more foody places!!!
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The staff is courteous and genuinely takes an interest in the guests needs. It's quite possible that this is the case because of the West Coast(nicer people)!
The property has three elevators (or lifts if you are british :D), which are sufficient to not make you wait to go up or down.
Anyhow, ideal for families due to the suite concept and centrally located. Rooms were clean and the bathroom amenities were nice. The bathtub, however, did not drain very well and water would stand, leaving you with the feeling of popping out as soon as you were done showering.
Lets see, the conference rooms were well equipped and ventilated. I had an EasyPower World conference rate and still felt that it was expensive, but well worth the price paid for.
The parking was convenient to find with a sign board and was easy to get in and get out. The elevator, however, in the parking lot was an old hydraulic one so it took its sweet time in operating. It costs 30 USD/day to park, however, in my case the conference had negotiated complimentary parking.
I didn't have a chance to sample the restaurant food in the restaurant setting, however, the catering was well done and well organized.
Overall, its a great place for families who can afford to pay the premium.

Room Tip: ask for higher floors. they have three elevators so you won't get bogged down waiting to go up o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for the kind comments, Omerl, and I will pass them on to all the departments mentioned. I am glad the conference was a success! I understand about the elevator in the garage and I hope it didn’t cause too much of an issue. We look forward to seeing you again at the next EasyPower event and have a great rest of your summer!

Been to Embassy Suites Portland - Downtown? Share your experiences!