“Great Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We arrived at this hotel and were greeted by the valet. He was very friendly and held a good conversation with me and my husband. Afterward we went into the lobby to check in. This lobby is out of the norm for Embassy Suites. I was pleasantly surprised by the luxurious decor instead of the usual atrium. The staff member who check us in was very friendly and efficient.

We arrived just in time to have our bags sent to the room and catch a drink at the complimentary happy hour. This was a nice perk after a day of driving. The bartender was just as friendly as the two other staff members we had encountered so far. Hubby had a gin & tonic, I enjoyed a glass of chardonnay and both kiddos has a Shirley Temple.

Afterward, we went to our room. Our family of 4 decided at the last minute that we were going to stay here. Even so, we were able to book a king suite. The room was small with not much of a view, but it worked for us. Our kiddos shared the pull-out sofa and Hubby and I were comfortable in the separate bedroom. The bathroom was clean and the Crabtree & Evelyn products were a nice touch. We all loved the pool! It was spacious, a good temperature, and there were two hot tubs as well.

Breakfast in the morning was great. It was buffet style with plenty of options. They had pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, an omelette bar, cereal, muffins, juice, coffee, tea, and more that I'm forgetting. We appreciated that check out was not until noon because it gave us some time to explore the nearby neighborhood. The hotel itself was in a good location for us. We were able to walk where we wanted to go and didn't need our car until we were checking out.

I would recommend this hotel and I would absolutely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and did not have a view at all. I'm sure the higher floors would pro...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Wow, Melissa, it sounds like you had quite a grand adventure in Portland! I am so glad you took advantage of the only underground pool in the city as well as were able to venture out for a bit. I will let everyone know about your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again soon! Thank you for the review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here on the final night of our 6-day family vacation. I was looking forward to a quality hotel after having stayed at a marginal place near Crater Lake, so I was disappointed when after a family member used the one and only Kleenex in the bathroom, I had to do without. (Yes, I know I could have have called housekeeping, but should I have to?) As we were leaving in the morning, I tried to purchase bottled water on the way out of the building. First, I had to catch my husband as he left our room to get a room key so I could access vending. Then I found out water was $2/bottle and I didn't have enough one-dollar bills. So I asked at lady at the front desk on the way out if there was anywhere I could grab some water: she told me she could give me some quarters. This was at 6:15 a.m.: complimentary breakfast started at 6:30 a.m. and we obviously couldn't participate, but she couldn't find me some waters on my way out the door? More than not getting water it was her attitude, I think: she didn't really care if I started a 3-hr trip to the airport without water. I was just disappointed to pay over $300 for a room (the only night of our trip we paid that much) and not get top-notch service. If they're going to charge that much, they need to have the service to go with it or people are going to be disappointed. That being said, the lobby is beautiful, the rooms were clean and quiet. Nice perk having Voodoo Donuts just down the street.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Midwstrn trvlr, I am sorry you had a less than perfect stay and please let me know how we may Make It Right for your family. I assure you this is a unique situation and have taken your concerns to the department heads. I hope you will try us again in the future so we can WOW you!
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The lobby is stunning in this converted century old building. Right around the corner from the famous Voodoo donuts! Staff is ultra friendly and the rooms are great. This place is very clean and the breakfast they serve downstairs is great too. Right downtown close to everything. When I go back to Portland I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
I am so pleased our staff was “ultra friendly” to you, Ian, and I will make sure they know! We have a lot of history and reputation to live up to from within the walls of the Multnomah Hotel which opened in 1912. It’s always great to hear we are doing a good job. We look forward to your next visit
Coeur d alene, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Old and dated hotel. Rooms comfortable, but again needs updating. Charged $10 for internet and $27 per night for parking. Price was high for what you received. Breakfast was good, but tough to catch an elevator to basement where it is located. Not in the best section of town, but very close to Voodoo donuts.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for the insight about your stay with us, John K. We recently redecorated all the suites and are going to start working on updating the lobby soon. I hope you will be able to come back again so we can WOW you with our new digs!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Everything about this hotel was first rate. From the time we checked until our departure the staff was very polite and helpful. They had very god recommendations for places to see and eat, as well as being helpful about how to get around the city.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

BruceM, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and I am happy you had a good experience. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed here for our anniversary. We went to a show at Keller Auditorium and were able to walk. Saturday market is also only a few blocks. This hotel is in a great location. Great staff. Nice size rooms. Clean. Will look to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014
Happy anniversary, Gary, and I am so glad you were able to spend your special time with us. Thank you for the review and we’ll see you next year!
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed here for 7 nights recently on a quilting tour. Lovely big room with every mod con,and a very comfy bed with beautifully ironed sheets. Found the front door staff very helpful with directions and marking landmarks on the map for us,as the hotel is well placed for shops and restuarants. Front desk staff were friendly and efficient. The managers reception from 5.30 til 7.30pm with drinks and nibbles was a great idea
enabeling us to get together in small groups after a day out (there were 2 coach loads of us!)
Found the hotel bar a little disconcerting, if I ordered a glass of white wine I never knew which kind or price the barman would be giving me. There didnt seem to be a standard measure or price.
Wi Fi was ONLY in the lobby unless you pay $9.95 a day!!!!! I have found that most other hotels
provide free wi fi these days.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Wendy, we always love when your group comes to stay with us and this year was no different! It was a pleasure to see everyone again and so nice to hear your visit and the tours were fun. I will pass on your lovely comments and we will see you next year!!

Been to Embassy Suites Portland - Downtown? Share your experiences!