“Lovely hotel in convenient area of Portland” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Issaquah, Washington
“Lovely hotel in convenient area of Portland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites a number of times. I like the hotel and the rooms are good sized and have nice amenities. I realize in major cities that you do have to pay for parking but $30 for the valet at the Embassy is over-priced for Portland.

I have a gripe with the wi-fi. First of all it's ridiculous to have to pay for wi-fi. I know it's the Hilton brand's decision but it irks me. At least have free wi-fi for your Hilton Honors members. Also, the wireless here is so slow that it wouldn't even play a YouTube video. It has been slow on all of my visits but seemed extra bad on this most recent trip. I realize that I should have complained to the management but I was on a quick turn around and had to hurry home and didn't have time to do it. It's bad enough to have slow free Internet but is irritating when it's $10. In fact, when we stayed at the Embassy Suites in 2010 my mom was so mad about the wi-fi charge that she complained to the management. She has stayed at other places on subsequent trips to PDX; places with free Internet.

The staff is always nice and helpful although once they printed me some directions to a location that was actually directly behind the hotel (which I was pretty certain about when I asked which door to go out). The directions would have sent me across the river if I had followed them instead of walking out the side door to the place.

I realize that the manager's reception is mostly about the free booze but the food was quite atrocious. It consisted of chips, some canned salsa, some very limp vegetables, and caramel corn. Odd combo for sure and was a whole lot worse than it even sounds as I type it. If you're there for free liquor you're in luck but the food left a lot to be desired. My friend, who stayed with me, said that the manager should be ashamed of his/her reception.

I like the rooms and once was upgraded to a nice suite with a conference room. The room set up is very convenient. I like historic old hotels and this one is lovely. The restoration of the lobby is very grand. The staff is friendly and wants to help. I have always been greeted by everyone, including the cleaning staff.

The windowless basement room where you have breakfast and the aforementioned manager's reception is depressing. The food, however, is fine, especially when it's included in the price.

I will probably stay here again due to the convenient location and lovely rooms but the price of the Internet and parking will keep me open to trying other hotels.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

This Embassy Suites hotel is in the renovated historic Multnomah hotel building. I've stayed here three times in the past 12 months.

There are several great things about this hotel:

- Beautiful lobby - super place to hang out and relax or have an informal business meeting.
- The hotel is centrally located and just a block from Voodoo Donuts!
- Rooms are spacious and quiet.
- Bed was a little too soft but the bedding and pillows were of good quality.
- Heating and cooling work well.
- Bathroom is modern and water pressure is great.
- Breakfast is a notch above your average Embassy Suites breakfast - Omelette Lady is AWESOME.
- Room service has tasty offerings and they deliver quickly.
- The bar downstairs isn't a bad place to have a drink.

The hotel does have what I consider to be a moderately serious flaw: During the renovation someone decided that instead of replacing the old double hung windows, they would simply install giant sheets of plexiglass in front of them. While the double pane that results is both temperature and sound insulating, you can't open the windows at all. And the dust that's accumulating between the two panes is icky to look at.

This was a problem for me because the first room I was given stank to high heaven from air fresheners or carpet cleaners or something. Extreeeeemely sweet-stinky. It was so thick that I had to ring down to the front desk for a machete. To their credit, they sent a desk manager up with keys to other rooms and he couldn't have been nicer. But really, I'd much prefer a window that I can open.

Other than that, this place is great. Still gets 4 stars. Plus, you can bring a construction bucket of Voodoo donuts back to the folks at home.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inside courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I very much enjoyed my stay here. It's pretty much everything you anticipate and expect from an Embassy Suites. The lobby is a pleasant surprise, as this is the hold Multnomah Hotel, and it's a quite faithful renovation of the old lobby. While the guest floors and rooms are a bit stodgy, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. The showers have good water pressure, and thankfully, Embassy Suites has better toiletries now. So the room was overall very pleasant. It'd just be nice if they had more outlets in more convenient locations. No lamp outlets? booo.

The breakfast/happy hour room is a bit depressing down in the basement (no windows, but a high ceiling), but the staff is very friendly, so it's no big deal to be in that downstairs room. I like that they make the omelets on actual pans instead of a big nasty griddle. That's a plus.

Overall, I'd stay here again. it's convenient to the MAX and bus lines, and it's across the street from Stumptown Coffee and Voodoo Donuts. Score! Plus, the staff at the hotel is really friendly.

Room Tip: Some rooms look at a parking garage. Kinda ugly for Portland.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thanks so much for your great overview of Embassy Suites Portland Downtown.
I appreciate you sharing the details of your stay with us.

We hope to see you soon.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I travel to work for Portland regularly, and this hotel rarely disappoints. The location downtown is good, the hotel (Portland Prime) is excellent, and the staff is very responsive. The valet parking is a little expensive, and you can save some money by parking in a public lot just a block west. Some rooms have a little trouble with internet connectivity, but if you ask for a wireless bridge you should be fine.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your nice comments. I also appreciate your comments regarding our internet access. Please know that we are in the process of enhancing our services with installing a better quality internet access for our guests.

I look forward to your return visit.
Kirkland, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We have stayed at Embassy Suites in a few other cities so knew what to expect. Were however surprised on arrival that the hotel has valet parking and the man entrance foyer seemed quite grand. We think Hilton might have taken these premises over from a previous, grander hotel. The building is a bit aged here and there but everything was decorated nicely for Thanksgiving weekend and the holiday season. The pool, hot tub and sauna were a welcome treat after long days out exploring with kids and seemed reasonably clean and maintained. The breakfast was as always brilliant. Fresh made omelets to order and a good hot and cold breakfast buffet with plenty of pastries, fruit and cereal and unlimited hot drinks and juices. An added bonus was the games room which our 8 and 10 year old liked to play air hockey in whilst we enjoyed the "manager's reception" each night from 5.30-7.30pm, which included a few nibbles, wine, beer and juices - all complimentary. Room was generous with separate bedroom for us and a pull out sofa bed for the kids with a fridge, coffee facilities and a dining table which the kids used for coloring etc. Location was good and only two blocks from the river front and some good restaurants and only 5 minute walk to shops like Macy's etc. Would recommend as a reasonably priced, well located hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your generous feedback, especially regarding our complimentary full cooked to order breakfast.

With best regards, we look forward to your return visit.
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This was our second stay in Embassy Suites Portland downtown. I specifically chose this hotel because of it's suites, and we were in a family trip. Our suite was quiet, on the seventh floor. Beds were comfortable, bedroom had a good enough size, but the closet could be larger. I think the room could have some more lights, it was kind of dark, but the sitting room had plenty of lights, fridge, microwave, 42' LCD (in the room as well).

Buffet breakfast is very good, with delicious cooked-to-order omelletes. I didn 't like the selection of breads, though. Other than that, everything was good.

Valet parking is expensive - we payed 30 bucks to have in and out privilledges- but the service was immaculate, very professional. Our car was always waiting for us, even if we had called just 2 minutes before. And we used their service many times in our 6 days stay, so I really know what i'm talking about.

The hotel servce is very good and friendly. The happy hour every afternoon is a nice touch, but why aren't wines from Oregon offered, I wonder?

• Stayed November 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is the ONLY place I will stay in Portland with or without my kids. I have stayed at the Westin downtown, Hotel Monaco, the Marriot downtown, and Marriot waterfront. I have looked around the Lucia, Hotel Delux, The Benson, and a few others.

Portland is full of great hotels in great locations, but what the Embassy Suites has going for it that no other hotel in Portland can possibly compare to are huge suites, made to order omelettes and a great swimming pool. If you have kids, you know that in-house breakfast (included in price) is indispensable! My kids hardly feel like they are on vacation if there isn't a pool. In fact, if there is not hot tub, my husband feels shortchanged!

The breakfast is expansive; the breakfast room is a huge elaborate space with a fountain in the middle. The pool room includes two hot tubs and a sauna. The workout room is nice. We love the beautiful old lobby, which was updated a year or so ago. The rooms are sooooo spacious. There are two tvs, a bar area with great pod coffee makers with rainforest safe coffee, a super cold fridge, and a sink. There is a desk/dining table. We have ordered pizza on past stays.

I think my only complaint is that the walls are thin; there must have been a bachelorette party or something next door. I have never heard so many females roaring with laughter! Remember that the building is very old and bring a pair of earplugs, as they aren't provided.

As everyone always mentions, the location is superb. Get directions for taking the free light rail to Pioneer Plaza and a walking map for heading over to the Pearl District. Hit up the Sisters Coffee shop there, it's great.

Enjoy, it's our favorite nearby get away!!

Room Tip: every room we've had has been great. we've never requested anything special. However, I thin...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your amazing feedback.
I was excited to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We would love to accommodate you again if you return downtown Portland.

Been to Embassy Suites Portland - Downtown? Share your experiences!